General Question Bentley's allergies and nutrition

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi all. I'm feel pretty confident on my over all care for Bentley but I would like to take it up to the next level. I mentioned how much I loved visiting the site for information in my welcome spot, I decided I wanted to be apart of the group. :) Here's my two questions. I'll try to keep it short.

Bentley is in over all good/great health. In the year I've had him he has only gone to the vet for an update on his general shots, a toe cyst. (taken care of) and one allergy scare. (more for his poor mother. Me.) ok....

Fourth of July I took him camping for the weekend. He had a trailer with air to break to and I brought everything he could have needed to stay safe and happy. I also talked with my vet before bringing him out too. Our first night was Thursday, by Saturday he was kinda sneezing, watery nose, and had a little gurgle in his chest. But he was still his happy Bentley self. So even though I was worked up I didn't take him to the Vet until Monday. He's fully back to normal as of today.

What worried me so much is how the outdoors bothered him so much when I take him everywhere. We walk our neighborhood every night. I learned that I could have an allergy test done and I plan to do so very soon. I want to know what bothers him so I can avoid it.

What I want to know from you all is what Vitamins I can add in to his diet. (He eats Blue Buffalo) Bentleys four now and I want to make sure he stays healthy in his years to come. I'm willing to be the bully mamma that gives him everything. What makes me nervous is that he is my first bully and I don't want to add in other health care for him without being super informed. so....

#1. Allergy test before adding in new nutrition, vitamin, supplements, etc.? Or
# 2. Can I start him on whatever choices I make asap? Without being urgent of course.

Yep. Sorry that was super long! Hey! I would love a bulldog mentor friend too if anyone wants to take me under their wing. ;)

Also, did I post in the right spot? I'm still trying to figure out the site.
Thanks!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi all. I'm feel pretty confident on my over all care for Bentley but I would like to take it up to the next level. I mentioned how much I loved visiting the site for information in my welcome spot, I decided I wanted to be apart of the group. :) Here's my two questions. I'll try to keep it short.

Bentley is in over all good/great health. In the year I've had him he has only gone to the vet for an update on his general shots, a toe cyst. (taken care of) and one allergy scare. (more for his poor mother. Me.) ok....

Fourth of July I took him camping for the weekend. He had a trailer with air to break to and I brought everything he could have needed to stay safe and happy. I also talked with my vet before bringing him out too. Our first night was Thursday, by Saturday he was kinda sneezing, watery nose, and had a little gurgle in his chest. But he was still his happy Bentley self. So even though I was worked up I didn't take him to the Vet until Monday. He's fully back to normal as of today.

What worried me so much is how the outdoors bothered him so much when I take him everywhere. We walk our neighborhood every night. I learned that I could have an allergy test done and I plan to do so very soon. I want to know what bothers him so I can avoid it.

What I want to know from you all is what Vitamins I can add in to his diet. (He eats Blue Buffalo) Bentleys four now and I want to make sure he stays healthy in his years to come. I'm willing to be the bully mamma that gives him everything. What makes me nervous is that he is my first bully and I don't want to add in other health care for him without being super informed. so....

#1. Allergy test before adding in new nutrition, vitamin, supplements, etc.? Or
# 2. Can I start him on whatever choices I make asap? Without being urgent of course.

Yep. Sorry that was super long! Hey! I would love a bulldog mentor friend too if anyone wants to take me under their wing. ;)

Also, did I post in the right spot? I'm still trying to figure out the site.
Thanks!!!

IMO - I would only do testing if I found he was severely allergic to something, and nothing worked. Last resort. Because in the end, he's going to be allergic to numerous things. It just happens.

Vitamins - We do Nuvet & Nujoint. Even though he is 4, being proactive with joint supplements is a plus. Tyson's 9 and we just now are starting to see just minor arthritis, but vet said for his age, they see much much worse. I contribute that that him being supplemented, and well fed (quality wise) - if you decide to do Nuvet - let us know so we can give you the code to be able to purchase! and you can start them right away!

Yes, right area ;)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Regarding supplements - many here use Nuvet and are very happy with it. It's a vitamin supplement.

As far as allergies- if this was the first time it happened, then you already know what he's allergic to and you can give Benadryl and wipe him down if he's going to spend a few days in the woods.

But generally, allergy testing is done when a dogs symptoms are more or less constant and they can't be controlled by diet or otherwise. Then it's time to get it done, find out what they're allergic to and take the next steps (in our case immunotherapy). Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it :)

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
IMO - I would only do testing if I found he was severely allergic to something, and nothing worked. Last resort. Because in the end, he's going to be allergic to numerous things. It just happens.

Vitamins - We do Nuvet & Nujoint. Even though he is 4, being proactive with joint supplements is a plus. Tyson's 9 and we just now are starting to see just minor arthritis, but vet said for his age, they see much much worse. I contribute that that him being supplemented, and well fed (quality wise) - if you decide to do Nuvet - let us know so we can give you the code to be able to purchase! and you can start them right away!

Yes, right area ;)

So when he has a runny nose or is congested I shouldn't freak out? I am noticing his toes are a little red after everything that has happened so far this month but not like when he got his cyst. Is there anyone who gives their dog an allergy pill everyday or multiple doses? I gave Bentley Benadryl right after he had the flair up of symptoms I talked about. But I wasn't sure if I should keep giving it to him throughout the summer.

I see Nuvet and Nujoint come recommend around here. When I'm ready to get some I'll message you :)

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Regarding supplements - many here use Nuvet and are very happy with it. It's a vitamin supplement.

As far as allergies- if this was the first time it happened, then you already know what he's allergic to and you can give Benadryl and wipe him down if he's going to spend a few days in the woods.

But generally, allergy testing is done when a dogs symptoms are more or less constant and they can't be controlled by diet or otherwise. Then it's time to get it done, find out what they're allergic to and take the next steps (in our case immunotherapy). Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it :)

What do you like to wipe them down with when they come back in from being outside?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So when he has a runny nose or is congested I shouldn't freak out? I am noticing his toes are a little red after everything that has happened so far this month but not like when he got his cyst. Is there anyone who gives their dog an allergy pill everyday or multiple doses? I gave Bentley Benadryl right after he had the flair up of symptoms I talked about. But I wasn't sure if I should keep giving it to him throughout the summer.

I see Nuvet and Nujoint come recommend around here. When I'm ready to get some I'll message you :)

Yes, its something to pay attention too of course, as he may need antibiotics if it gets worse. But if its just a runny nose, just keep an eye on him. I know you said you feed Blue, what flavor are you feeding, is it grain free?

I would not advise to give Benadryl everyday - only use "as needed" for bad flare ups, you don't want him getting immune to it, and then when you really need it, it doesn't do its job. The Nuvet actually had a small amount of antihistamine in it as well :)

- - - Updated - - -

What do you like to wipe them down with when they come back in from being outside?

I wipe Tyson down with baby wipes & witch hazel every time we come in from being outside. Quick wipe of all four paws, belly, and booty :) Then separate one for face.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Just a damp paper towel to get the grass, pollen and just the "outdoors" off of them. I need to do it every single time mine is out and it does help some.

Some people do give them benadryl every day but I would not go that route. For me it's an as needed thing. But I use Claritin since Benadryl does not work for mine.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]-I wipe Tyson down with baby wipes & witch hazel every time we come in from being outside. Quick wipe of all four paws, belly, and booty :) Then separate one for face.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of baby wipes. But I know they are not great for the face because of the moisture. Correct? Witch Hazel. I've never heard of, can you tell me more?

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Just a damp paper towel to get the grass, pollen and just the "outdoors" off of them. I need to do it every single time mine is out and it does help some.

Some people do give them benadryl every day but I would not go that route. For me it's an as needed thing. But I use Claritin since Benadryl does not work for mine.

I noticed when I was giving him benadryl it didn't look like it was clearing his nose or anything. Then again he wasn't not acting like himself. I feel like maybe since this was his first allergic reaction. I'll keep going about our normal routine. :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm aware of baby wipes. But I know they are not great for the face because of the moisture. Correct? Witch Hazel. I've never heard of, can you tell me more?

We buy the most sensitive free of everything baby wipe. I use this witch hazel:

T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent | Walgreens -- which has a drying agent in it. Tyson tolerates it very well, he hates the smell of stronger chemical things like Mal-a-cetic wipes, but I do use those on his paws from time to time.

Side note: this is just a FYI back pocket - if he ever gets congested to the point where you can hear it and he's trying to clear it but cant - a quick squirt of lemon juice to the back of the mouth will clear it up. Until you can get to a vet. This is worst case of course, but good to know.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
We buy the most sensitive free of everything baby wipe. I use this witch hazel:

T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel Astringent | Walgreens -- which has a drying agent in it. Tyson tolerates it very well, he hates the smell of stronger chemical things like Mal-a-cetic wipes, but I do use those on his paws from time to time.

Side note: this is just a FYI back pocket - if he ever gets congested to the point where you can hear it and he's trying to clear it but cant - a quick squirt of lemon juice to the back of the mouth will clear it up. Until you can get to a vet. This is worst case of course, but good to know.

I'm really glad to be talking about products with you, thanks! I do know about the Lemon Juice thing. I read it. I'm glad that actual bulldog parents are talking about it!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Yes, its something to pay attention too of course, as he may need antibiotics if it gets worse. But if its just a runny nose, just keep an eye on him. I know you said you feed Blue, what flavor are you feeding, is it grain free?

I would not advise to give Benadryl everyday - only use "as needed" for bad flare ups, you don't want him getting immune to it, and then when you really need it, it doesn't do its job. The Nuvet actually had a small amount of antihistamine in it as well :)

- - - Updated - - -

I wipe Tyson down with baby wipes & witch hazel every time we come in from being outside. Quick wipe of all four paws, belly, and booty :) Then separate one for face.

I didn't mean to ignore the food question. I was giving him the Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. I noticed it didn't get a six star rating on the site. Maybe I should give him something better? His first owners gave him pedigree I think. :( So he has had diet change already.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I didn't mean to ignore the food question. I was giving him the Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. I noticed it didn't get a six star rating on the site. Maybe I should give him something better? His first owners gave him pedigree I think. :( So he has had diet change already.

Jessica and Ellie sure have you covered!! as for food,, i would look for something grain free..... Earthborn, Orijen, Fromm, Acana, tast of the Wild are a few to check out

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Jessica and Ellie sure have you covered!! as for food,, i would look for something grain free..... Earthborn, Orijen, Fromm, Acana, tast of the Wild are a few to check out

Thanks Christine. Where do I find these brands if they are not at the stores? I like to go to pets supplies plus. I'm kinda turned off by petssmart after hearing about bubba's grooming accident. (I know it's old news, but I feel its my way of showing support)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Christine. Where do I find these brands if they are not at the stores? I like to go to pets supplies plus. I'm kinda turned off by petssmart after hearing about bubba's grooming accident. (I know it's old news, but I feel its my way of showing support)

Pet Supplies Plus may have some of them..... I shop at a small local business where I get Fromm. Might be good to research which you want to go with and then use the manufacture's website to find a nearby store. Also, you can use Petflow.com for home delivery

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.