10yr old female Bulldog suddenly sick (vet can't find any issues)

js82181p

Jul 14, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Nelson
Hi All,

As a short introduction, my name is Jimmy, and along with my wife and 1 year old daughter, we have 2 fantastic bulldog rescues Betty and Nelson. We've had Nelson for a year and a half now and he's approximately 2 years old. He's had his fare share of health issues, but today I'm writing about Betty.

Betty is coming up on her 10th birthday (in August). We rescued Betty 5 years ago. She was used for breeding, and when no longer able to breed given up. We've had a fantastic 5 years with her as part of our family.

Betty has always been pretty healthy (aside from a bout with mites 4 years ago). We've noticed in her old age the need to take shorter walks, as well as a decreased activity level overall. At her last annual visit to the vet (October 2014) she weighed 43 pounds and was doing great.

Unfortunately, we're currently having trouble diagnosing what's ailing her (she's seen several vets now), and was hoping someone on here may have some ideas... any idea really. The timeline of recent events are:

10/31/2014 Regular Vet - Annual checkup. All fine. Weight is 43.5
5/14/2015 Home Observation - Slight leg drag, only occasionally
5/15/2015 Home Observation - no noticeable issues walking
5/15/2015 Regular Vet - Diagnosed to have CCL surgery. No longer limping/dragging leg, but hind right leg has loss of muscle and movement in the knee. Weight is 40.8
5/21/2015 Surgeon - Confirmation that she needs CCL surgery. Still no noticeable limp
6/27/2015 Home Observation - profound limp (new)
6/29/2015 Home Observation - 3/4 tramadol twice a day through 24 hours prior to scheduled surgery
7/2/2015 Surgeon - Went in for surgery, discovered in X-Ray only has sprain, but coupled with hip dysplasia. Prescribed 1.5 tramadol 3 times a day. Rimadyl 75mg once a day. DID NOT DO SURGERY.
7/3/2015 Home Observation - Lethargic
7/8/2015 Home Observation - Panting, not acting normal, only eating hand fed food
7/8/2015 Regular Vet - Examined. Decided to take her off all meds and see how she responds. Weight is 37.8
7/9/2015 Home Observation - Slight to no noticeable improvement, felt hot, panting a bit at night
7/10/2015 Home Observation - 103.1 temp
7/10/2015 Regular Vet - Ran multiple tests with no positive results. Gave liquid antibiotic. Temp of 102.9
7/10/2015 Home Observation - pale yellow poop (at night)
7/11/2015 Home Observation - looks to be feeling slight better. 102.8 temperature. Switch to chicken/rice bland diet at lunch. Less panting
7/11/2015 Regular Vet - 3/4 of tab, once daily of enroflax. Cerenia 2 tablets (24mg each) (anti-nausea), only given today.
7/11/2015 Home Observation - Eats a bit out of her bowl on her own (not required to be hand fed).
7/12/2015 Home Observation - temp of 103.1
7/12/2015 Home Observation - diarrhea, swollen fold by face, loss of appetite. Continues to pant, breath heavily.
7/12/2015 Emergency Vet - Given steroid shot and put on Benadryl 2-3 times a day
7/13/2015 Home Observation - Symptoms of swollen face, loss of appetite and panting continue. Stomach appeared bloated (couldnā€™t see her ribs when she was laying on her side) at approximately 7pm. Small amount of nasal discharge
7/13/2015 Emergency Vet - Examined and given liquid under her skin. Temperature came down to under 102.
7/13/2015 Home Observation - Got home from the vet, acted strange, stood on grass outside of car and circled a few times. Had to be carried inside.
7/14/2015 Home Observation - Gooey stool (sample collected and brought to Emergency Vet. Went to grass and sat (very unusual for her). Began breathing from her stomach. More nasal discharge, sneezing.
7/14/2015 Emergency Vet - Had ultrasound, didnā€™t find anything. Running a slight fever 103.X? Took urine sample to culture. Advised to continue Benadryl for a week and revisit. They are hoping its simply a lingering allergic reaction to one of the meds.

If anyone has any thoughts or guidance on where we should go from here, we're all ears!

Thanks!
Jimmy and Jenn.

PS Attached is an excel file with the info from above, as well as a calendar grid of the same information, and blood test results from the 8th and 10th. We've requested the blood test results from the Surgeon (which would be before she got sick) and hope to have those by tomorrow. Also, I've attached the x-rays our regular vet took on the 10th.

Simmons Jennifer-Betty-17-03-05-0.JPGSimmons Jennifer-Betty-17-04-20-0.JPGSimmons Jennifer-Betty-17-06-45-0.JPGView attachment Betty for upload 2.pdfView attachment Betty for upload.pdf

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi All,

As a short introduction, my name is Jimmy, and along with my wife and 1 year old daughter, we have 2 fantastic bulldog rescues Betty and Nelson. We've had Nelson for a year and a half now and he's approximately 2 years old. He's had his fare share of health issues, but today I'm writing about Betty.

Betty is coming up on her 10th birthday (in August). We rescued Betty 5 years ago. She was used for breeding, and when no longer able to breed given up. We've had a fantastic 5 years with her as part of our family.

Betty has always been pretty healthy (aside from a bout with mites 4 years ago). We've noticed in her old age the need to take shorter walks, as well as a decreased activity level overall. At her last annual visit to the vet (October 2014) she weighed 43 pounds and was doing great.

Unfortunately, we're currently having trouble diagnosing what's ailing her (she's seen several vets now), and was hoping someone on here may have some ideas... any idea really. The timeline of recent events are:

10/31/2014 Regular Vet - Annual checkup. All fine. Weight is 43.5
5/14/2015 Home Observation - Slight leg drag, only occasionally
5/15/2015 Home Observation - no noticeable issues walking
5/15/2015 Regular Vet - Diagnosed to have CCL surgery. No longer limping/dragging leg, but hind right leg has loss of muscle and movement in the knee. Weight is 40.8
5/21/2015 Surgeon - Confirmation that she needs CCL surgery. Still no noticeable limp
6/27/2015 Home Observation - profound limp (new)
6/29/2015 Home Observation - 3/4 tramadol twice a day through 24 hours prior to scheduled surgery
7/2/2015 Surgeon - Went in for surgery, discovered in X-Ray only has sprain, but coupled with hip dysplasia. Prescribed 1.5 tramadol 3 times a day. Rimadyl 75mg once a day. DID NOT DO SURGERY.
7/3/2015 Home Observation - Lethargic
7/8/2015 Home Observation - Panting, not acting normal, only eating hand fed food
7/8/2015 Regular Vet - Examined. Decided to take her off all meds and see how she responds. Weight is 37.8
7/9/2015 Home Observation - Slight to no noticeable improvement, felt hot, panting a bit at night
7/10/2015 Home Observation - 103.1 temp
7/10/2015 Regular Vet - Ran multiple tests with no positive results. Gave liquid antibiotic. Temp of 102.9
7/10/2015 Home Observation - pale yellow poop (at night)
7/11/2015 Home Observation - looks to be feeling slight better. 102.8 temperature. Switch to chicken/rice bland diet at lunch. Less panting
7/11/2015 Regular Vet - 3/4 of tab, once daily of enroflax. Cerenia 2 tablets (24mg each) (anti-nausea), only given today.
7/11/2015 Home Observation - Eats a bit out of her bowl on her own (not required to be hand fed).
7/12/2015 Home Observation - temp of 103.1
7/12/2015 Home Observation - diarrhea, swollen fold by face, loss of appetite. Continues to pant, breath heavily.
7/12/2015 Emergency Vet - Given steroid shot and put on Benadryl 2-3 times a day
7/13/2015 Home Observation - Symptoms of swollen face, loss of appetite and panting continue. Stomach appeared bloated (couldnā€™t see her ribs when she was laying on her side) at approximately 7pm. Small amount of nasal discharge
7/13/2015 Emergency Vet - Examined and given liquid under her skin. Temperature came down to under 102.
7/13/2015 Home Observation - Got home from the vet, acted strange, stood on grass outside of car and circled a few times. Had to be carried inside.
7/14/2015 Home Observation - Gooey stool (sample collected and brought to Emergency Vet. Went to grass and sat (very unusual for her). Began breathing from her stomach. More nasal discharge, sneezing.
7/14/2015 Emergency Vet - Had ultrasound, didnā€™t find anything. Running a slight fever 103.X? Took urine sample to culture. Advised to continue Benadryl for a week and revisit. They are hoping its simply a lingering allergic reaction to one of the meds.

If anyone has any thoughts or guidance on where we should go from here, we're all ears!

Thanks!
Jimmy and Jenn.

PS Attached is an excel file with the info from above, as well as a calendar grid of the same information, and blood test results from the 8th and 10th. We've requested the blood test results from the Surgeon (which would be before she got sick) and hope to have those by tomorrow. Also, I've attached the x-rays our regular vet took on the 10th.

View attachment 89018View attachment 89019View attachment 89020View attachment 89021View attachment 89022

So sorry to hear about your sweet Betty - have they done full panel bloodwork? I don't see it mentioned above, but may have missed it. If not, I would be asking for that right away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN..... i can not begin to tell you how my stomach and heart ache for you --- it is so hard to know what is wrong with our babies when they can not tell us.

I looked through the spreadsheet... did they do a liver panel on her? Have they done any heart tests (ekg or eeg... something like that?)

OP
J

js82181p

Jul 14, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Nelson
Thanks for the quick reply's you guys!

The blood work was the last 2 pages of the "Betty for upload 2.pdf" file. I did just get the copy of the bloodwork from the Surgeon (May 22nd). I'll attach it here. I'm having a bit of trouble getting it into my spreadsheet for comparison as I'm not sure how the coding from the other blood tests map over.

I was of the understanding that the blood tests they did included tests for her liver functions. The vet told us that based on the results her liver and kidney's were working as expected for a 10 year old bully. I'm also attaching the x-ray's from the Surgeon (7/2/15) but I dont suspect they'll be helpful...

They have not done any tests on her heart as of yet. Is that something I should request if they don't bring it up?

View attachment Betty Blood Test 2015_05_22.pdfBetty0005.jpgBetty0002.jpgBetty0001.jpgBetty0006.jpgBetty0003.jpgBetty0004.jpgBetty0008.jpgBetty0009.jpgBetty0007.jpg

Thanks!
Jimmy

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I feel terrible for you guys. I keep the same tabs you do, write everything down, and date it so I can let the vet know exactly what's going on. It's so tough seeing them like this.

But I'm wondering if at this point, it's just a combination of things. Probably a reaction to the Tramadol, then antibiotics are known for causing diarrhea, the change in food (bland diet) and just the stress from the being at the vets all the time, then the x-rays, etc.
Hopefully it'll pass as things start going back to normal and she comes off the antibiotics.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The xrays don't look too bad in the legs. I can definitely see the problem areas in the hip area, but of course, that doesn't explain the other symptoms. I would at this point, ask for any test that hasn't been done - especially heart - like @2BullyMama mentioned. I am praying for this sweet girl and for you - I hope that she gets through this rough patch. I know that alot of those meds have side effects just like [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] mentioned. I wonder how she would do with nothing and bland food for a few days?

OP
J

js82181p

Jul 14, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Nelson
Yes, we're hoping that she stabilizes and some of her symptoms start dropping off. Unfortunately out of the list of a dozen or so things that the emergency vet gave us that would require us to come in, she's seems to get a new one everyday. :(

See a couple pics of Betty and Nelson (I can't have this whole thread be depressing for me)!

20141031_190904.jpg
SAM_2450.JPG

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What beautiful babies!!! Thank you for the pics [emoji173]ļø

Yes ... Please ask vet to check her heart.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh goodnessā€¦ I'm SO sorry to hear about your baby. I agree w/the othersā€¦ I'm not sure where you are located in the states, but this hot and humid weather can really wreck havoc on older dogs. You haven't mentioned her drinkingā€¦ does she seem to be drinking and peeing normally?!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Betty. It seems all the tests have been done, and you are on top of her symptoms and with the vet. I hope he can figure out what is causing her to be sick and she gets better soon. Sending love, hugs and Prayers your way. Please keep us Posted on how she is doing. Hopefully it's just a reaction to the meds and antibiotics.

OP
J

js82181p

Jul 14, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Nelson
Hi All,

Thanks for sending all of the prayers! We picked up Betty from the emergency vet last night. They didn't find anything in her ultrasound, and they also did an ekg which she passed.

With her leg issue, she's really not been outside much if at all in the last few weeks. We've got our central ac set to 72 (70 at night) so I don't think it's a heat issue.

Our vet's been great at communicating with the emergency clinic. The current plan is to take her off of the antibiotics (as that could have potentially caused a reaction) and keep her on benadryl and a bland diet for a week. If she's not on the mend by then, our regular vet is going to work with one of the internal medicine vets from the emergency hospital to come up with a plan for her!

I'll keep everyone posted if any new discoveries are made!

Thanks again,
Jimmy

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Just reading this now. I hope Betty starts improving soon. You are right on top of everything and your vet sounds good. Good luck

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi All,

Thanks for sending all of the prayers! We picked up Betty from the emergency vet last night. They didn't find anything in her ultrasound, and they also did an ekg which she passed.

With her leg issue, she's really not been outside much if at all in the last few weeks. We've got our central ac set to 72 (70 at night) so I don't think it's a heat issue.

Our vet's been great at communicating with the emergency clinic. The current plan is to take her off of the antibiotics (as that could have potentially caused a reaction) and keep her on benadryl and a bland diet for a week. If she's not on the mend by then, our regular vet is going to work with one of the internal medicine vets from the emergency hospital to come up with a plan for her!

Thanks again,
Jimmy

Thank you for the update..... give her hugs from us. Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to you all

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi All,

Thanks again,
Jimmy

Just reading this, does she still have a temp of 103? During this treatment did they try a different antibiotic? She's beautiful, I'm very worried about her! The constant temperature concerns me- and makes my stomach turn that she never needed that surgery... Big hugs to all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi All,

Thanks again,
Jimmy

I am praying that being off the meds she will feel so much better. Thank you for the update, and we all here will continue to pray for sweet Betty. Please give us any new updates, as soon as you have any. Betty sounds strong, and being that all her test results are good, I am praying praying praying she is going to push past this!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online