Please help! Dog sounds like he's snoring but awake

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
Last night about 10pm dexter stared to snore while he was awake like something was stuck in his nose. He's wheezing sound like it could be "reverse sneezing" but it still hasn't stop. He had a hard time falling asleep. When he does sleep it sounds like something is in is nose. His sleeping snoring don't sound like his normal snore. He also keeps burpeeing a lot, like acid reflex.
I went to the vet this morning, they did X-rays and everything looked good. They couldn't explain to me what was wrong! Other than to say this breed needs to breath with his mouth open even when he's asleep. She gave me antibiotics that's all.
I believe maybe an apple seed got stuff in his nose, my son was slicing one that night.
If anyone knows what I can try please advice. I'm going to look for another vet if it does get better.
Thank you!

Dexter is 7 months old. 47 pounds. T

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would find a bulldog experienced vet and get a second opinion..... if there is something in his nose, even a seed -- they extra effort to breath can be a big issue for the rest of his organs. not good :no:

- - - Updated - - -

I tagged a few of our SoCal members to help you find a vet for a second opinion

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Last night about 10pm dexter stared to snore while he was awake like something was stuck in his nose. He's wheezing sound like it could be "reverse sneezing" but it still hasn't stop. He had a hard time falling asleep. When he does sleep it sounds like something is in is nose. His sleeping snoring don't sound like his normal snore. He also keeps burpeeing a lot, like acid reflex.
I went to the vet this morning, they did X-rays and everything looked good. They couldn't explain to me what was wrong! Other than to say this breed needs to breath with his mouth open even when he's asleep. She gave me antibiotics that's all.
I believe maybe an apple seed got stuff in his nose, my son was slicing one that night.
If anyone knows what I can try please advice. I'm going to look for another vet if it does get better.
Thank you!

Dexter is 7 months old. 47 pounds. T

I am really sorry to hear this. I would contact Doctor Butchko who's in Riverside 951-686-2242, he knows his stuff and is the best bully vet in so cal.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Dr. Butchko in Riverside is the place to go with Bulldog issues.

Just a question, Did the vet note of any stenotic nares issues? His nostril airways are narrow and restricted requiring widening. You might consider this procedure. Not sure if Butchko performs this procedure. I know Roy Kraemer (another bulldog expert) now with his own practice in Orange, CA. does.

Good Luck to you.

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
Thank you so much! I'm looking for another vet:(

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
I was at Dr.Butchko office this morning. They did look inside his nose but the same way I've looked just with a light. The X-rays showed everything looked ok, but it doesn't show his nose. Should I try finding another bet today? It does sound way better than last night when it stared.
Thank you all, I really appreciate your help.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If it sounds better I would keep an eye on him but if it starts getting worst I would take him back. I'm sorry you're going through this I know how stressful it is when something goes wrong with these babies.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I have no experience with what you are dealing with but wanted to say I can't believe the vet gave you antibiotics without knowing what's wrong. They should know better!!! The overuse of antibiotics is contributing to superbugs like MRSA. They also wreak havoc on the immune system. Ugh...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was at Dr.Butchko office this morning. They did look inside his nose but the same way I've looked just with a light. The X-rays showed everything looked ok, but it doesn't show his nose. Should I try finding another bet today? It does sound way better than last night when it stared.
Thank you all, I really appreciate your help.

I would call back to Butchko's office and tell them he still does not sound right, if that is the case and ask if he can be examined again, if they decline go to Dr. kraemer as suggested

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Can it be Kennel cough? Blue sounded very similar to what you're describing when he had it. I recorded it on my phone then showed it to the emergency vet and her dx was kennel cough. He was fine otherwise, still ate and played.

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
If it sounds better I would keep an eye on him but if it starts getting worst I would take him back. I'm sorry you're going through this I know how stressful it is when something goes wrong with these babies.

It is stressfull :( I'm keeping a close eye on him. I made another appt for tomorrow morning incase his condition doesn't improve.
Thank you so much!

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
I have no experience with what you are dealing with but wanted to say I can't believe the vet gave you antibiotics without knowing what's wrong. They should know better!!! The overuse of antibiotics is contributing to superbugs like MRSA. They also wreak havoc on the immune system. Ugh...

I agree with you! I'm getting a second opinion. I don't agree with what she told me. She was quick to order X-rays everything looked good but still gives me antibiotics

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
I would call back to Butchko's office and tell them he still does not sound right, if that is the case and ask if he can be examined again, if they decline go to Dr. kraemer as suggested

Thank you, I think you're right I should go back there, I deserve more answers. I paid for X-rays and once she said it all looks good, she said he needs to learn how to breath with his mouth.even when he's asleep. That was her answer for him making the snoring sound when he's awake. I told her he's never made this noise before, she said he's getting older it's going to be changing. I made another apt just incase with another vet. It just don't sound normal to me.
Thank you for your help!

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
Can it be Kennel cough? Blue sounded very similar to what you're describing when he had it. I recorded it on my phone then showed it to the emergency vet and her dx was kennel cough. He was fine otherwise, still ate and played.

I did mention it to the vet, she said no it wasn't. �� she thinks it's basically nothing. Makes no sence.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.