amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
My Archie woke up completely fine this morning. He went outside like normal and was laying in the living room for a bit and when he walked into our kitchen, my son said, "Aww, look at Archie! He's so sleepy he can't open his eyes!" Well, I wish that were the case but sadly, both eyes were swollen almost shut. The top lid looks puffy & he had a few hives as well. He was pawing at his eyes so I know they were bothering him. Poor guy looks miserable. :( I gave him a Benadryl & tried some cold compresses, although that is easier said than done! It's only been about 2 hours since we saw the swelling and the hives seem to be going down. I'm thinking he was bitten by something when he was outside. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing. I didn't know how much Benadryl I should give him during the course of a day (he's had one 25mg pill) & when/if I should call the vet. Any idea on how long this swelling should last? He's eating & seems pretty pleasant to be with us but the poor guy looks so sad! Thanks for any help!

image.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=11875]amdeemer[/MENTION] My Martha loved to chase bugs. Last summer a wasp stung her in the mouth. She swelled up her eyes swelled shut, and she got hives all over. I just happened to have prednisone here, from another incident. I gave her a prednisone and two benedryl. She weighed about 45 lbs. It took awhile-several hours, but her swelling went down, and little by little the hives started to go away-she was covered in hives. As long as his breathing is not affected, keep any eye on him, and give him another benedryl. If I were you, if he does okay, I would keep some pred.(ask your vet) on hand, in case next time is worse. Hope he will be okay.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My Archie woke up completely fine this morning. He went outside like normal and was laying in the living room for a bit and when he walked into our kitchen, my son said, "Aww, look at Archie! He's so sleepy he can't open his eyes!" Well, I wish that were the case but sadly, both eyes were swollen almost shut. The top lid looks puffy & he had a few hives as well. He was pawing at his eyes so I know they were bothering him. Poor guy looks miserable. :( I gave him a Benadryl & tried some cold compresses, although that is easier said than done! It's only been about 2 hours since we saw the swelling and the hives seem to be going down. I'm thinking he was bitten by something when he was outside. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing. I didn't know how much Benadryl I should give him during the course of a day (he's had one 25mg pill) & when/if I should call the vet. Any idea on how long this swelling should last? He's eating & seems pretty pleasant to be with us but the poor guy looks so sad! Thanks for any help!

View attachment 88937

Awe, poor little guy :(

Yeah, he could have been bit by something. You did great in administering the benadryl right away - dosage is 1mg per lb. I would keep an eye on it, if you say its going down, that's good. As long as his breathing is fine, it may need more time. Check his gums, make sure they are a nice pink color... if you notice any of the just mentioned change (breathing, etc) then I would be on my way into the vet. Also, dep on his weight you maybe able to give him a pinch more benadryl... remember it will make him drowsy like it does us. But keep your eye peeled on him :) ( which I'm sure you have been ) -- Tyson has been bitten by a bee, a wasp, and fire ants.... only the fire ants caused a reaction, but with each bite, I still gave him benadryl to prevent anything.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor boy! Yes, this happen to Banks twice, almost exactly one year apart from each other but her breathing was very labored and her entire face was swollen, but as Lynn stated... benedryl and predisone (if you have it), the cold compress will help too. But, if his breathing changes at all, becomes labored, get to the vet.

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Thank you everyone! So far there's no issues with breathing & the hives are mostly gone. I'm going to give him one more Benadryl. He's just under 60lbs. and I was thinking I remembered 1mg per pound. Also, I have prednisone from my son that he never needed. It's still fine to use - how much would you give? I appreciate all of the quick responses! My poor boy made me feel so bad for him this morning. He's such a sweetie, though. Waging his little tail & licking me & the kids even though his eyes are all swollen.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Everyone has you covered! I've had it happen many times with both boxers and bulldogs. I usually take them to the vet for a steroid shot and an antihistamine shot just to be on the safe side. I really freak seeing those swollen faces. Only once have I gone to the Emergency vet when my bully Rosie started having trouble breathing. Keep us posted on Archie!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank you everyone! So far there's no issues with breathing & the hives are mostly gone. I'm going to give him one more Benadryl. He's just under 60lbs. and I was thinking I remembered 1mg per pound. Also, I have prednisone from my son that he never needed. It's still fine to use - how much would you give? I appreciate all of the quick responses! My poor boy made me feel so bad for him this morning. He's such a sweetie, though. Waging his little tail & licking me & the kids even though his eyes are all swollen.

The prednisone I gave Martha was one-- 20mg, as prescribed by my Vet, for skin allergies/reactions.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You been given excellent advice already, and everyone has you covered. You did the right thing giving Benadryl, he can have 1 mg per pound, so he could actually have 2 pills and you can give it to him up to 3 times a day. I don't have any experience with Prednisone so I don't know the dose. Continue to keep an eye on him and watch for breathing problems.
He more than likely got stung by a wasp or a bee. I'm glad the swelling is going down, and I hope he feels better soon. Please keep us updated on how he's doing.

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Quick update on my Archie. We're not 100% out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful that after a good night's sleep, he'll feel much better. The hives are gone and the swelling on his right eye seems a little better. I actually located the bite/sting and it's right under the corner of his left eye. Poor baby. :( So naturally his left eye looks a lot worse than the right. I called the vet this afternoon and she said to continue with Benadryl today and bring him in tomorrow if things haven't improved. I was hoping that the swelling on his eye lids would've gone down by now, but I'm guessing since the bite was so close to his eye, that could be why it's taking so long. Here's hoping things look better in the morning! Thank you again for all of the great advice! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm glad he's doing better, and the Benadryl is helping. It can take at least 3 days to a week to see an improvement from a bee or wasp sting, especially when they show an allergic reaction and swelling. It will clear up, and as long as he's not showing any other symptoms or breathing issues he will be okay. I would continue to watch him and give him Benadryl for a few more days to help with the allergy symptoms, and itchiness. Can you see if the stinger is out or if it's still in his skin?
Maybe you should let the vet make sure that the stinger isn't still in there.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Quick update on my Archie. We're not 100% out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful that after a good night's sleep, he'll feel much better. The hives are gone and the swelling on his right eye seems a little better. I actually located the bite/sting and it's right under the corner of his left eye. Poor baby. :( So naturally his left eye looks a lot worse than the right. I called the vet this afternoon and she said to continue with Benadryl today and bring him in tomorrow if things haven't improved. I was hoping that the swelling on his eye lids would've gone down by now, but I'm guessing since the bite was so close to his eye, that could be why it's taking so long. Here's hoping things look better in the morning! Thank you again for all of the great advice! :)

How is he this morning?

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Well that was a fun night! Poor Archie couldn't settle all night. He would sleep for 20 minutes and then pace. This morning the swelling has definitely gone down but he is still frantically rubbing his face on everything. I'm calling the vet and taking him in today. Poor guy needs some relief. :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well that was a fun night! Poor Archie couldn't settle all night. He would sleep for 20 minutes and then pace. This morning the swelling has definitely gone down but he is still frantically rubbing his face on everything. I'm calling the vet and taking him in today. Poor guy needs some relief. :(

Thanks for the update and I'm on the same page, the vet should be able to get him something stronger - poor guy. I'm glad he's okay though. Give that sweet boy all the hugs, cuddles, treats he wants. hee hee.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

UGH.... good call -- vet can give a shot of Benedyl tat is much stronger and will help bring the swelling down faster

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.