Thoughts on when to spay or neuter?

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I plan to neuter Tucker, but I am really having a hard time trying to figure out when the best time is. There are many different opinions on this subject. In fact, the Bulldog veterinarian I plan to use in San Antonio recommends 7 months of age. I found the following article which suggests waiting at least to one year:
Don't Make This Mistake When Scheduling Your Dog's Neutering Procedure

Does anyone have suggestions as to what has worked best with your Bulldog? I want my Tucker to have as much longevity as I can help provide.
Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My vet recommends any time after 8 mths of age for a male..... I'll have to ask on the female, but when we had Banks done she was 6 mths as I did not want her to go into a heat cycle

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am thinking that a lot of people have had them neutered around 8 mo., some earlier. Personally, I feel like 8 months is about right. JMO.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I just read the article (after I posted) and it was interesting. I don't really think enough research has been done into the harm done by early sterilization (very low numbers of dogs in those studies). If you want to wait, I guess there's no reason not to. My vet strongly recommended that Winnie be spayed before her first heat which was fine with me, because going thru a heat is messy and not fun. But you don't have that problem. I've had dogs spayed and neutered early and dogs spayed and neutered later, after a year. None of the early fixed dogs ever had any behavior problems, nor did the late fixed ones. Up to you to decide.
:unsure:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My females were both a year old when they were spayed. Neither one had gone into heat yet,which is odd, I think. I had a male rescue who was two years old, and not neutered,I had four females,so had him neutered at two, out of necessity.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Yep, you gotta do it if you have a male and females! That is seriously no fun if you have an intact male and a female in heat!! I had that situation once--never again!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I planned on waiting until Ruckus was 2 so that he was fully grown. Well Ruckus is almost 2.5 now and I still haven't had it done. I struggle with it a bit because he is super sweet and has never been aggressive. The only time he has ever growled was when he thought another dog was snapping at Regina. I plan on having her spayed at 6 months.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I planned on waiting until Ruckus was 2 so that he was fully grown. Well Ruckus is almost 2.5 now and I still haven't had it done. I struggle with it a bit because he is super sweet and has never been aggressive. The only time he has ever growled was when he thought another dog was snapping at Regina. I plan on having her spayed at 6 months.

Blue was the sweetest bullie. I went out of my way to socialize him since he was 4 months old. He loved everyone (including dogs).
When we got Wellie, who also wasn't neutered, I decided to do it (lots of reasons).

Blue was two when he was castrated, and Wellie was 16 months. Wellie still loves everyone (and most dogs. as he get older, he's more selective on who he's friends with though..lol).
Blue.. well, he HATES intact males now. He growls and tries to attack them. he did a 180 after the neutering.

The reason I'm telling ya this is because if you get Regina spayed, you have to be careful because she "may" go after Ruckus. Speak with your vet about having one dog spayed and the other intact.
Turns out, what happened with Blue was much more common that I thought it was.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Blue was the sweetest bullie. I went out of my way to socialize him since he was 4 months old. He loved everyone (including dogs).
When we got Wellie, who also wasn't neutered, I decided to do it (lots of reasons).

Blue was two when he was castrated, and Wellie was 16 months. Wellie still loves everyone (and most dogs. as he get older, he's more selective on who he's friends with though..lol).
Blue.. well, he HATES intact males now. He growls and tries to attack them. he did a 180 after the neutering.

The reason I'm telling ya this is because if you get Regina spayed, you have to be careful because she "may" go after Ruckus. Speak with your vet about having one dog spayed and the other intact.
Turns out, what happened with Blue was much more common that I thought it was.

[emoji46][emoji47][emoji32][emoji45][emoji26]
I'm on a roller coaster of emotions.....I'll definitely look into this. I'm so sorry your Blue's temperament changed. I feel like I've read other members saying their neutered male wasn't quite the same as he was pre-surgery, which also made me hesitant. But I never considered that Regina would dislike
Ruckus.....researching....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm on a roller coaster of emotions.....I'll definitely look into this. I'm so sorry your Blue's temperament changed. I feel like I've read other members saying their neutered male wasn't quite the same as he was pre-surgery, which also made me hesitant. But I never considered that Regina would dislike

As with everything else in life.... each dog is different. I've had 3 males, all have been neutered at 8 mths of age... no change to behavior at all. Banks, my female was spay at 6 mths and she was as much of a beeoch before spay as she was for the 8 1/2 yrs after :D My point being, there may be a behavior change (good or bad), there may not be ...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Exactly [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION]

Like I said, Wellie is the same. Doesn't care if a dog is intact or not. Blue, well.. he's my problem "child".

But yea, discuss it with your vet.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

Harvey was neutered 3 days after his 1st birthday. He is the sweetest bulldog, albeit stubborn bulldog (well who isn't). His personality did not change before and after neutering. This is my experience.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
We haven't "snipped" Bass (yet). He'll be two in Oct. and never had temperament issues - until recently. We were considering breeding, but decided not to...he's my fifth child (and my only boy). We were told by our breeders to wait until 18 months if we were planning on fixing him, the vet recommended 6 months...so no help here, I'm just as curious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.