Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on when to spay or neuter?

Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

Default Thoughts on when to spay or neuter?

I plan to neuter Tucker, but I am really having a hard time trying to figure out when the best time is. There are many different opinions on this subject. In fact, the Bulldog veterinarian I plan to use in San Antonio recommends 7 months of age. I found the following article which suggests waiting at least to one year:
    Don't Make This Mistake When Scheduling Your Dog's Neutering Procedure

Does anyone have suggestions as to what has worked best with your Bulldog? I want my Tucker to have as much longevity as I can help provide.
    Thanks!

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

2. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thoughts on when to spay or neuter?

We had Winnie spayed at 7 months, but she's a girl. If I had a boy, I would do it sooner rather than later--just my opinion.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

My vet recommends any time after 8 mths of age for a male..... I'll have to ask on the female, but when we had Banks done she was 6 mths as I did not want her to go into a heat cycle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am thinking that a lot of people have had them neutered around 8 mo., some earlier. Personally, I feel like 8 months is about right. JMO.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I just read the article (after I posted) and it was interesting. I don't really think enough research has been done into the harm done by early sterilization (very low numbers of dogs in those studies). If you want to wait, I guess there's no reason not to. My vet strongly recommended that Winnie be spayed before her first heat which was fine with me, because going thru a heat is messy and not fun. But you don't have that problem. I've had dogs spayed and neutered early and dogs spayed and neutered later, after a year. None of the early fixed dogs ever had any behavior problems, nor did the late fixed ones. Up to you to decide.

8. Likes Manydogs, Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

My females were both a year old when they were spayed. Neither one had gone into heat yet,which is odd, I think. I had a male rescue who was two years old, and not neutered,I had four females,so had him neutered at two, out of necessity.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Yep, you gotta do it if you have a male and females! That is seriously no fun if you have an intact male and a female in heat!! I had that situation once--never again!

11. Likes Manydogs, dolphin liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

I planned on waiting until Ruckus was 2 so that he was fully grown. Well Ruckus is almost 2.5 now and I still haven't had it done. I struggle with it a bit because he is super sweet and has never been aggressive. The only time he has ever growled was when he thought another dog was snapping at Regina. I plan on having her spayed at 6 months.

13. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post
    I planned on waiting until Ruckus was 2 so that he was fully grown. Well Ruckus is almost 2.5 now and I still haven't had it done. I struggle with it a bit because he is super sweet and has never been aggressive. The only time he has ever growled was when he thought another dog was snapping at Regina. I plan on having her spayed at 6 months.
    Blue was the sweetest bullie. I went out of my way to socialize him since he was 4 months old. He loved everyone (including dogs).
    When we got Wellie, who also wasn't neutered, I decided to do it (lots of reasons).

Blue was two when he was castrated, and Wellie was 16 months. Wellie still loves everyone (and most dogs. as he get older, he's more selective on who he's friends with though..lol).
    Blue.. well, he HATES intact males now. He growls and tries to attack them. he did a 180 after the neutering.

The reason I'm telling ya this is because if you get Regina spayed, you have to be careful because she "may" go after Ruckus. Speak with your vet about having one dog spayed and the other intact.
    Turns out, what happened with Blue was much more common that I thought it was.

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Blue was the sweetest bullie. I went out of my way to socialize him since he was 4 months old. He loved everyone (including dogs).
    When we got Wellie, who also wasn't neutered, I decided to do it (lots of reasons).

Blue was two when he was castrated, and Wellie was 16 months. Wellie still loves everyone (and most dogs. as he get older, he's more selective on who he's friends with though..lol).
    Blue.. well, he HATES intact males now. He growls and tries to attack them. he did a 180 after the neutering.

The reason I'm telling ya this is because if you get Regina spayed, you have to be careful because she "may" go after Ruckus. Speak with your vet about having one dog spayed and the other intact.
    Turns out, what happened with Blue was much more common that I thought it was.

I'm on a roller coaster of emotions.....I'll definitely look into this. I'm so sorry your Blue's temperament changed. I feel like I've read other members saying their neutered male wasn't quite the same as he was pre-surgery, which also made me hesitant. But I never considered that Regina would dislike
    Ruckus.....researching....

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post

I'm on a roller coaster of emotions.....I'll definitely look into this. I'm so sorry your Blue's temperament changed. I feel like I've read other members saying their neutered male wasn't quite the same as he was pre-surgery, which also made me hesitant. But I never considered that Regina would dislike
    Ruckus.....researching....

As with everything else in life.... each dog is different. I've had 3 males, all have been neutered at 8 mths of age... no change to behavior at all. Banks, my female was spay at 6 mths and she was as much of a beeoch before spay as she was for the 8 1/2 yrs after My point being, there may be a behavior change (good or bad), there may not be ...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

17. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Exactly @2BullyMama @g8erjackie

Like I said, Wellie is the same. Doesn't care if a dog is intact or not. Blue, well.. he's my problem "child".

But yea, discuss it with your vet.

19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads