Thoughts on when to spay or neuter?

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I was also wondering this. Bentley is four. I'm guessing. He was three when we adopted him. It has been a fast year. I want to neuter him this fall asap. I was planning on scheduling it in September. Am I to late?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I was also wondering this. Bentley is four. I'm guessing. He was three when we adopted him. It has been a fast year. I want to neuter him this fall asap. I was planning on scheduling it in September. Am I to late?

I think it's better to wait until maturity, and he isn't a senior so he'll likely do fine. Just make sure you get a vet experienced with bullies -- they have additional concerns during surgery.

I really can't decide with Ruckus. Sorry, I kind of hijacked the original post!

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I think it's better to wait until maturity, and he isn't a senior so he'll likely do fine. Just make sure you get a vet experienced with bullies -- they have additional concerns during surgery.

Me 2! I have so many questions. Just joining the conversation. Have you talked about your concerns with you vet Jackie? Maybe that will help you decide.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I'm seriously on the fence w/Walter… I'm almost considering NOT doing it at all. Dr. Becker did a video regarding it, and now she has had a change of heart. IMO if you are a good dog parent for males I do NOT believe it's a necessity anymore.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In Europe, or at least in Finland it is not a custom to neuter without medical reason, or behavioral. And as we know, neutering doesn't always help with the behavioral issues or can even cause them. We don't have stray dogs and dogs are kept in leash so there is no over population cause of that. Responsible owners don't let their dogs run free and mate. There are studys made that early neutering can possibly cause health problems later on. You can talk to your vet about it, but he/she probably has an own opinion about it and you don't get objective information.

Most Reactions

Members online