Help Needed! Allergies???

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Could this be allergies or yeast?? Any quick home remedies until I can get her to the vet tomorrow?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 166

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, to me it looks like an allergic reaction to something, either environmental like new shampoo, laundry soap, or a new household cleaner or a bug bite of some sort like ants or fleas. I would give her a bath with a gentle soothing shampoo, rinse her well, you can even use some warm water and plain white vinegar as a final rinse, and give her a Benadryl, I give my guys weigh 45 lbs and get 1 Benadryl. If this doesn't help and you don't see any improvements, then take her to the vet to have it checked. Yeast infections usually look more yellowish and have a smell or odor to it. I don't have any experience with yeast infections, but have heard it smells like Fritos. I do have experience with allergies and rashes as both my guys have allergies. I hope it clears up and she feels better soon. Is she itchy?

This is what a yeast infection looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 138
OP
M

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Hi, to me it looks like an allergic reaction to something, either environmental like new shampoo, laundry soap, or a new household cleaner or a bug bite of some sort like ants or fleas. I would give her a bath with a gentle soothing shampoo, rinse her well, you can even use some warm water and plain white vinegar as a final rinse, and give her a Benadryl, I give my guys weigh 45 lbs and get 1 Benadryl. If this doesn't help and you don't see any improvements, then take her to the vet to have it checked. Yeast infections usually look more yellowish and have a smell or odor to it. I don't have any experience with yeast infections, but have heard it smells like Fritos. I do have experience with allergies and rashes as both my guys have allergies. I hope it clears up and she feels better soon. Is she itchy?

This is what a yeast infection looks like.

i haven't used anything new on her. She doesn't seem itchy, I haven't noticed her scratching at all. She doesn't have fleas, and hasn't been in any ant beds. I've given her 50mg of Benadryl (she weighs 48 pounds) . Once last night, and then again this morning. I can't tell that it's helping her.

I did give her a bath on Friday, but haven't changed shampoos. I wonder if she's all of a sudden developed an allergy to the shampoo I've been using on her? Or the shampoo had been outside, the heat may have changed the chemical composition of the shampoo making her allergic.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's so hard to tell what they are allergic to, these guys are so sensitive. The rash looks more like a skin irritation to me.
These can be caused by anything from Food, new treats, a bug bite, shampoos, detergents, cleaners, pollens, trees, and other environmental factors. Is there anything new in her environment?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i haven't used anything new on her. She doesn't seem itchy, I haven't noticed her scratching at all. She doesn't have fleas, and hasn't been in any ant beds. I've given her 50mg of Benadryl (she weighs 48 pounds) . Once last night, and then again this morning. I can't tell that it's helping her.

I did give her a bath on Friday, but haven't changed shampoos. I wonder if she's all of a sudden developed an allergy to the shampoo I've been using on her? Or the shampoo had been outside, the heat may have changed the chemical composition of the shampoo making her allergic.

it could be the shampoo or just something outside that has started to bother her--- does look like an allergic reaction to me, did you put anything new on the grass or just cut the grass that day?

OP
M

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
it could be the shampoo or just something outside that has started to bother her--- does look like an allergic reaction to me, did you put anything new on the grass or just cut the grass that day?

No actually the grass NEEDS cutting. LOL Its kind of tall, which could be the culprit????? Or the shampoo that had been outside??? Who knows. I have vetericin I sprayed on her under-carriage and then crated her while we went to the movies. While we were out, I bought some medicated antibacterial & anti fungal shampoo for her. Just bathed her in that. So maybe there will be improvement in the morning. Its not responding to the benadryl at all that I can tell. And 50mg of Benadryl knocks me out... it doesn't affect her at all. LOL

Thanks for your help!

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
On the Benadryl dosage I've always read it was 1 mg per pound, our golden retriever just had a hot spot out break and we took him to the vet and I told him I was given 1 mg of Benadryl per pound. He said it's not enough because they metabolize the Benadryl differently than humans they need 2 mg per pound 3 times a day. We've been giving our golden 5 tablets 3 times a day for the last week and he weighs 62 pounds.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
On the Benadryl dosage I've always read it was 1 mg per pound, our golden retriever just had a hot spot out break and we took him to the vet and I told him I was given 1 mg of Benadryl per pound. He said it's not enough because they metabolize the Benadryl differently than humans they need 2 mg per pound 3 times a day. We've been giving our golden 5 tablets 3 times a day for the last week and he weighs 62 pounds.

I have always been told it was 1 mg per pound as well, and that's what I've always given my guys when they need it, but if you're vet told you to give him more and he seems to tolerate it and isn't too sleepy or lethargic from the increased dose, then it may be okay for your dog. I always like to give less if it works rather than give too much medication as the liver and kidneys still have to metabolize the medications. I'm sure though if it's for a short term use it would be okay. Every dog is different in what they can tolerate.

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
This is our second bout with a hotspot for the same time a year after going to our camp and playing in the lake. There's something either in the water or at the camp that he's allergic to. Our vet recommended that we give him Benadryl from now on for about four weeks leading up to and during the time that he has these outbreaks. this should help prevent the allergic reaction.

image.jpg

Mandals0810 your Sassy's rash looks similar to Olivers rash/hotspot.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is our second bout with a hotspot for the same time a year after going to our camp and playing in the lake. There's something either in the water or at the camp that he's allergic to. Our vet recommended that we give him Benadryl from now on for about four weeks leading up to and during the time that he has these outbreaks. this should help prevent the allergic reaction.

View attachment 88930

Mandals0810 your Sassy's rash looks similar to Olivers rash/hotspot.

Oh my goodness!! poor boy --- is it only on his neck?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No actually the grass NEEDS cutting. LOL Its kind of tall, which could be the culprit????? Or the shampoo that had been outside??? Who knows. I have vetericin I sprayed on her under-carriage and then crated her while we went to the movies. While we were out, I bought some medicated antibacterial & anti fungal shampoo for her. Just bathed her in that. So maybe there will be improvement in the morning. Its not responding to the benadryl at all that I can tell. And 50mg of Benadryl knocks me out... it doesn't affect her at all. LOL

Thanks for your help!

How about it -- 50mg of Benedryl sends me into la-la land for about 20 hours! And our girl Banks, was not impacted by it either. The fact that the grass was high, could be it just irritated her skin, not really allergic, but irritated --- maybe?

mb190e

Feb 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Yeah only on his neck and it wasn't even that bad this time. Thanks to Bruno we caught it early, because he kept licking Oliver's neck which alerted us to the rash. So we quickly buzzed the hair off so it could dry out and put some nustock cream on it until we could get him to the vet in the morning.

There's a picture of last time. He was in so much pain he couldn't even lay down he trying to sleep sitting up. This rash went from nothing to this in like 3 1/2 hours.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah only on his neck and it wasn't even that bad this time. Thanks to Bruno we caught it early, because he kept licking Oliver's neck which alerted us to the rash. So we quickly buzzed the hair off so it could dry out and put some nustock cream on it until we could get him to the vet in the morning.

There's a picture of last time. He was in so much pain he couldn't even lay down he trying to sleep sitting up. This rash went from nothing to this in like 3 1/2 hours.

View attachment 88931
View attachment 88932
View attachment 88933

Poor fella.... that looks so, so painful -- I just want to hug him. So glad Bruno alerted you to it so you could get it addressed

OP
M

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Oh wow, OUCH! Sassy's doesn't look that intense. I gave her 5mg of Claritin last night, and then again a few minutes ago. Its not as dark pink as it was yesterday, more of a medium-lighter pink. Maybe the Claritin is more effective for her than the benadryl.

But Lawsy, she STINKS. I JUST gave her a bath yesterday in the anti fungal/antibacterial shampoo and she still just down right stinks. She smells like a dog that stays outside all the time and only gets a bath once in a while. She goes outside to potty, and play/excercise about 4-8 times a day. So she shouldn't smell this bad. And she doesn't have a lot of wrinkles for yeast to live in. She's not a wrinkly bulldog.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh wow, OUCH! Sassy's doesn't look that intense. I gave her 5mg of Claritin last night, and then again a few minutes ago. Its not as dark pink as it was yesterday, more of a medium-lighter pink. Maybe the Claritin is more effective for her than the benadryl.

But Lawsy, she STINKS. I JUST gave her a bath yesterday in the anti fungal/antibacterial shampoo and she still just down right stinks. She smells like a dog that stays outside all the time and only gets a bath once in a while. She goes outside to potty, and play/excercise about 4-8 times a day. So she shouldn't smell this bad. And she doesn't have a lot of wrinkles for yeast to live in. She's not a wrinkly bulldog.

Yes, it is possible that, just like everything else, the Claritin is a better option for you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.