Thread: Allergies???

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sassy
    Likes (Received)

Default Allergies???

Could this be allergies or yeast?? Any quick home remedies until I can get her to the vet tomorrow?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Allergies???

Hi, to me it looks like an allergic reaction to something, either environmental like new shampoo, laundry soap, or a new household cleaner or a bug bite of some sort like ants or fleas. I would give her a bath with a gentle soothing shampoo, rinse her well, you can even use some warm water and plain white vinegar as a final rinse, and give her a Benadryl, I give my guys weigh 45 lbs and get 1 Benadryl. If this doesn't help and you don't see any improvements, then take her to the vet to have it checked. Yeast infections usually look more yellowish and have a smell or odor to it. I don't have any experience with yeast infections, but have heard it smells like Fritos. I do have experience with allergies and rashes as both my guys have allergies. I hope it clears up and she feels better soon. Is she itchy?

This is what a yeast infection looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sassy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, to me it looks like an allergic reaction to something, either environmental like new shampoo, laundry soap, or a new household cleaner or a bug bite of some sort like ants or fleas. I would give her a bath with a gentle soothing shampoo, rinse her well, you can even use some warm water and plain white vinegar as a final rinse, and give her a Benadryl, I give my guys weigh 45 lbs and get 1 Benadryl. If this doesn't help and you don't see any improvements, then take her to the vet to have it checked. Yeast infections usually look more yellowish and have a smell or odor to it. I don't have any experience with yeast infections, but have heard it smells like Fritos. I do have experience with allergies and rashes as both my guys have allergies. I hope it clears up and she feels better soon. Is she itchy?

This is what a yeast infection looks like.
    i haven't used anything new on her. She doesn't seem itchy, I haven't noticed her scratching at all. She doesn't have fleas, and hasn't been in any ant beds. I've given her 50mg of Benadryl (she weighs 48 pounds) . Once last night, and then again this morning. I can't tell that it's helping her.

I did give her a bath on Friday, but haven't changed shampoos. I wonder if she's all of a sudden developed an allergy to the shampoo I've been using on her? Or the shampoo had been outside, the heat may have changed the chemical composition of the shampoo making her allergic.

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

It's so hard to tell what they are allergic to, these guys are so sensitive. The rash looks more like a skin irritation to me.
    These can be caused by anything from Food, new treats, a bug bite, shampoos, detergents, cleaners, pollens, trees, and other environmental factors. Is there anything new in her environment?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mandals0810 View Post
    i haven't used anything new on her. She doesn't seem itchy, I haven't noticed her scratching at all. She doesn't have fleas, and hasn't been in any ant beds. I've given her 50mg of Benadryl (she weighs 48 pounds) . Once last night, and then again this morning. I can't tell that it's helping her.

I did give her a bath on Friday, but haven't changed shampoos. I wonder if she's all of a sudden developed an allergy to the shampoo I've been using on her? Or the shampoo had been outside, the heat may have changed the chemical composition of the shampoo making her allergic.
    it could be the shampoo or just something outside that has started to bother her--- does look like an allergic reaction to me, did you put anything new on the grass or just cut the grass that day?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sassy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    it could be the shampoo or just something outside that has started to bother her--- does look like an allergic reaction to me, did you put anything new on the grass or just cut the grass that day?
    No actually the grass NEEDS cutting. LOL Its kind of tall, which could be the culprit????? Or the shampoo that had been outside??? Who knows. I have vetericin I sprayed on her under-carriage and then crated her while we went to the movies. While we were out, I bought some medicated antibacterial & anti fungal shampoo for her. Just bathed her in that. So maybe there will be improvement in the morning. Its not responding to the benadryl at all that I can tell. And 50mg of Benadryl knocks me out... it doesn't affect her at all. LOL

Thanks for your help!

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

On the Benadryl dosage I've always read it was 1 mg per pound, our golden retriever just had a hot spot out break and we took him to the vet and I told him I was given 1 mg of Benadryl per pound. He said it's not enough because they metabolize the Benadryl differently than humans they need 2 mg per pound 3 times a day. We've been giving our golden 5 tablets 3 times a day for the last week and he weighs 62 pounds.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mb190e View Post
    On the Benadryl dosage I've always read it was 1 mg per pound, our golden retriever just had a hot spot out break and we took him to the vet and I told him I was given 1 mg of Benadryl per pound. He said it's not enough because they metabolize the Benadryl differently than humans they need 2 mg per pound 3 times a day. We've been giving our golden 5 tablets 3 times a day for the last week and he weighs 62 pounds.
    I have always been told it was 1 mg per pound as well, and that's what I've always given my guys when they need it, but if you're vet told you to give him more and he seems to tolerate it and isn't too sleepy or lethargic from the increased dose, then it may be okay for your dog. I always like to give less if it works rather than give too much medication as the liver and kidneys still have to metabolize the medications. I'm sure though if it's for a short term use it would be okay. Every dog is different in what they can tolerate.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

This is our second bout with a hotspot for the same time a year after going to our camp and playing in the lake. There's something either in the water or at the camp that he's allergic to. Our vet recommended that we give him Benadryl from now on for about four weeks leading up to and during the time that he has these outbreaks. this should help prevent the allergic reaction.

-image-jpg

Mandals0810 your Sassy's rash looks similar to Olivers rash/hotspot.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mb190e View Post
    This is our second bout with a hotspot for the same time a year after going to our camp and playing in the lake. There's something either in the water or at the camp that he's allergic to. Our vet recommended that we give him Benadryl from now on for about four weeks leading up to and during the time that he has these outbreaks. this should help prevent the allergic reaction.

-image-jpg

Mandals0810 your Sassy's rash looks similar to Olivers rash/hotspot.
    Oh my goodness!! poor boy --- is it only on his neck?
    e.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mandals0810 View Post
    No actually the grass NEEDS cutting. LOL Its kind of tall, which could be the culprit????? Or the shampoo that had been outside??? Who knows. I have vetericin I sprayed on her under-carriage and then crated her while we went to the movies. While we were out, I bought some medicated antibacterial & anti fungal shampoo for her. Just bathed her in that. So maybe there will be improvement in the morning. Its not responding to the benadryl at all that I can tell. And 50mg of Benadryl knocks me out... it doesn't affect her at all. LOL

Thanks for your help!
    How about it -- 50mg of Benedryl sends me into la-la land for about 20 hours! And our girl Banks, was not impacted by it either. The fact that the grass was high, could be it just irritated her skin, not really allergic, but irritated --- maybe?
    e.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Yeah only on his neck and it wasn't even that bad this time. Thanks to Bruno we caught it early, because he kept licking Oliver's neck which alerted us to the rash. So we quickly buzzed the hair off so it could dry out and put some nustock cream on it until we could get him to the vet in the morning.

There's a picture of last time. He was in so much pain he couldn't even lay down he trying to sleep sitting up. This rash went from nothing to this in like 3 1/2 hours.

-image-jpg
    -image-jpg
    -image-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads