General Question Possible Cushing's Disease?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I checked with the Dermatologist about the Natures Bounty 3 mg 'Triple Strength' and she says it is fine. She says as long as it is the 3 mg it is OK. I noticed on the 10mg it says maximum strength so it is probably a marketing thing. I will buy the 3 mg TS as soon as we run out of the others. Hope that helps and I that she is OK.

Joanne A

Jul 13, 2015
Medina, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jiggs
My five year old male Jiggs also has this bilateral hair loss on his flanks. This started a few winters ago, and it did seem to grow back during the summer. Blood tests for hypothyroidism and Cushing disease were negative. His hot spots and diffuse generalized hair loss, and extremely dry skin is unrelated to the seasonal flank baldness. I'm still trying to exclusively feed him the Nature's Variety Instinct chicken formula. I may still take him in to the vet to see if a course of antibiotics are in order. I don't want the cortisone course again, as it only provided a temporary improvement the last time we tried it, and it can be harmful if given too frequently. I so envy those bulldog owners who tell me their dogs have never had skin problems. Every one of my four bullies (Jiggs included) have had some sort of skin problems, but Jiggy's are terrible. I'm praying this food works, or perhaps another brand of grain/gluten free food formula does the trick. This is only day four.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Well Ellie had her visit for her 2nd opinion this morning and it went well. The vet had reviewed what had already been done with blood work and after a physical exam, thinks that the $500+ in additional blood work for Cushing and allergies isn't needed. She felt that Ellie's skin looked fine and normal, despite the hair loss, and that her overall temperament and reactions to having her sides looked at were very encouraging as she didn't show any signs of the hair loss being itchy or bothering her. She did some quick research on seasonal flank alopecia and thinks that's a very strong possibility. She recommended adding fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6, 9 to her diet in the form of vitamins or pills. At this stage, we decided we're going to let things play out through late October to mid-November to see if there's any hair growth once the seasons change.

Now then, any particular brands for the Omega 3, 6, 9? They recommended Vetri-Science since they carry it. I'm also going to hit up the local Walgreen's for 3mg Melatonin.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well Ellie had her visit for her 2nd opinion this morning and it went well. The vet had reviewed what had already been done with blood work and after a physical exam, thinks that the $500+ in additional blood work for Cushing and allergies isn't needed. She felt that Ellie's skin looked fine and normal, despite the hair loss, and that her overall temperament and reactions to having her sides looked at were very encouraging as she didn't show any signs of the hair loss being itchy or bothering her. She did some quick research on seasonal flank alopecia and thinks that's a very strong possibility. She recommended adding fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6, 9 to her diet in the form of vitamins or pills. At this stage, we decided we're going to let things play out through late October to mid-November to see if there's any hair growth once the seasons change.

Now then, any particular brands for the Omega 3, 6, 9? They recommended Vetri-Science since they carry it. I'm also going to hit up the local Walgreen's for 3mg Melatonin.

I'm so glad to hear that your baby doesn't have cushings… it's such a difficult disease to treat. I wish you well w/you baby…

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.