Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Cushing's Disease?

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Possible Cushing's Disease?

Well after talking things over with the wife, we've decided not to go through with all of the blood work tomorrow, even though I'd still like to do the allergy testing just for my own knowledge. With all of her previous blood work coming back normal, I'd anticipate the same this time and don't want to spend close to $600 just to be referred to a dermatologist an hour away and pay the "big city" and specialty vet bills. Instead, we've opted to take her to another vet in town that has been in business for over 20 years and has recently built a new office with all of the latest and greatest. I went by today and toured the new facility and it's down right fancy! They even had a bulldog in one of the kennel runs in the back with probably a 30" or 36" fan in front of that kennel. It's noticing the little things like that and you walk away with a good feeling. I made sure to mention that we thought it might be the Seasonal Flank Alopecia when making the appointment, so hopefully they'll strongly consider it.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

2. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Looks just like seasonal flank alopecia..We give ours 3 mg of melatonin at night.We also rub coconut oil on his sides to help his skin.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by spork3127 View Post
    Well after talking things over with the wife, we've decided not to go through with all of the blood work tomorrow, even though I'd still like to do the allergy testing just for my own knowledge. With all of her previous blood work coming back normal, I'd anticipate the same this time and don't want to spend close to $600 just to be referred to a dermatologist an hour away and pay the "big city" and specialty vet bills. Instead, we've opted to take her to another vet in town that has been in business for over 20 years and has recently built a new office with all of the latest and greatest. I went by today and toured the new facility and it's down right fancy! They even had a bulldog in one of the kennel runs in the back with probably a 30" or 36" fan in front of that kennel. It's noticing the little things like that and you walk away with a good feeling. I made sure to mention that we thought it might be the Seasonal Flank Alopecia when making the appointment, so hopefully they'll strongly consider it.
    Keep us posted!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

I checked with the Dermatologist about the Natures Bounty 3 mg 'Triple Strength' and she says it is fine. She says as long as it is the 3 mg it is OK. I noticed on the 10mg it says maximum strength so it is probably a marketing thing. I will buy the 3 mg TS as soon as we run out of the others. Hope that helps and I that she is OK.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

6. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
    Real Name
    Joanne
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jiggs
    Likes (Received)

My five year old male Jiggs also has this bilateral hair loss on his flanks. This started a few winters ago, and it did seem to grow back during the summer. Blood tests for hypothyroidism and Cushing disease were negative. His hot spots and diffuse generalized hair loss, and extremely dry skin is unrelated to the seasonal flank baldness. I'm still trying to exclusively feed him the Nature's Variety Instinct chicken formula. I may still take him in to the vet to see if a course of antibiotics are in order. I don't want the cortisone course again, as it only provided a temporary improvement the last time we tried it, and it can be harmful if given too frequently. I so envy those bulldog owners who tell me their dogs have never had skin problems. Every one of my four bullies (Jiggs included) have had some sort of skin problems, but Jiggy's are terrible. I'm praying this food works, or perhaps another brand of grain/gluten free food formula does the trick. This is only day four.

8. Likes bullmama liked this post
    Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Well Ellie had her visit for her 2nd opinion this morning and it went well. The vet had reviewed what had already been done with blood work and after a physical exam, thinks that the $500+ in additional blood work for Cushing and allergies isn't needed. She felt that Ellie's skin looked fine and normal, despite the hair loss, and that her overall temperament and reactions to having her sides looked at were very encouraging as she didn't show any signs of the hair loss being itchy or bothering her. She did some quick research on seasonal flank alopecia and thinks that's a very strong possibility. She recommended adding fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6, 9 to her diet in the form of vitamins or pills. At this stage, we decided we're going to let things play out through late October to mid-November to see if there's any hair growth once the seasons change.

Now then, any particular brands for the Omega 3, 6, 9? They recommended Vetri-Science since they carry it. I'm also going to hit up the local Walgreen's for 3mg Melatonin.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

10. Likes 1Chumly, bullmama, 2BullyMama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by spork3127 View Post
    Well Ellie had her visit for her 2nd opinion this morning and it went well. The vet had reviewed what had already been done with blood work and after a physical exam, thinks that the $500+ in additional blood work for Cushing and allergies isn't needed. She felt that Ellie's skin looked fine and normal, despite the hair loss, and that her overall temperament and reactions to having her sides looked at were very encouraging as she didn't show any signs of the hair loss being itchy or bothering her. She did some quick research on seasonal flank alopecia and thinks that's a very strong possibility. She recommended adding fatty acids such as Omega 3, 6, 9 to her diet in the form of vitamins or pills. At this stage, we decided we're going to let things play out through late October to mid-November to see if there's any hair growth once the seasons change.

Now then, any particular brands for the Omega 3, 6, 9? They recommended Vetri-Science since they carry it. I'm also going to hit up the local Walgreen's for 3mg Melatonin.
    I'm so glad to hear that your baby doesn't have cushings… it's such a difficult disease to treat. I wish you well w/you baby…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads