Help Needed! Cannot figure out why my dog keeps dripping slobber all of a sudden. :(

Eric Altman

Jun 4, 2015
Eldon MO
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki
Has anyone had a problem with their bullie when all of a sudden the dog starts dripping saliva from the mouth out of the blue and non stop every about 5 seconds a drip comes out? What could be the issue you think? I have tried to look in her mouth and cannot see anything and she isnt hurting or acting funny either. She does keep chomping a little bit though like she has been eating something. This has gone on since last night and I have kept her in the kennel except to eat and go potty.

please help!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Has anyone had a problem with their bullie when all of a sudden the dog starts dripping saliva from the mouth out of the blue and non stop every about 5 seconds a drip comes out? What could be the issue you think? I have tried to look in her mouth and cannot see anything and she isnt hurting or acting funny either. She does keep chomping a little bit though like she has been eating something. This has gone on since last night and I have kept her in the kennel except to eat and go potty.

please help!

Hi Eric,

Try to really check her mouth the best you can. Run your fingers all through the gums & pockets to make sure there isn't anything in there, hair, fur, etc. Also, check her teeth... make sure nothing looks loose, cracked, etc. Finally check the top of her mouth and make sure nothing looks unusual. The roof of her mouth. How old is she???

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Jessica gave you great advice. I also notice the more mine drink or chew ice, the more they slobber. If Brutus is playing a lot, he will also have extra drool.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have had that happen with most of my dogs on occasion, and I don't really know what causes it. It usually stops after a while. I guess if it went on for a long time, I would check with the vet. One of my boxers did that once and he was chomping around, when I looked in his mouth, there was an ant attached to his inner lip. Maybe some other members know more. I've meant to ask my vet, but by the time I go, I've forgotten about it. It doesn't happen very often with my dogs.

OP
Eric Altman

Eric Altman

Jun 4, 2015
Eldon MO
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki
4 years old and this has never happened before. I will go and brush her teeth really fast and then go look inside.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Has your dog been exposed to any toxic plants/possibly eaten any? It could also be an indigestion problem, or as stated, a bad tooth/something caught in his mouth, Excessive salivation can cause dehydration,make sure he is drinking water. If it continues, I would have him checked out. The only time mine drool, is when I am fixing their dinner, or when they have gotten a drink. Sorry, I meant her,not his.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with Jessica and Lynn --- check the entire mouth for something stuck in gum line or roof.... or could be an upset belly ?

OP
Eric Altman

Eric Altman

Jun 4, 2015
Eldon MO
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki
Has your dog been exposed to any toxic plants/possibly eaten any? It could also be an indigestion problem, or as stated, a bad tooth/something caught in his mouth, Excessive salivation can cause dehydration,make sure he is drinking water. If it continues, I would have him checked out. The only time mine drool, is when I am fixing their dinner, or when they have gotten a drink. Sorry, I meant her,not his.

no because its been raining like crazy and I brushed her teeth and checked all of that & still is doing it. I went all up in her mouth too so I have no clue. Will be 24 hours of non stop at 7pm.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, if it was me, not finding anything-I would try giving a pepcid or generic,to see if it helps,and I would be calling the Veterinarian. She could have a salivery (sp?) cyst,or tumor, or hopefully something simple that has not been thought of.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Ours do this usually when they can't wait for a treat.lol But they've also done this when they've eaten something they shouldn't have.Also before puking...

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Winslow has been a little sick and i have noticed a lot more drooling than usual.
I mentioned it to the vet and she said nausea will do that.. Sorry to be gross but think about before you puke, normally we salivate a lot too.
Pee and poops are normal? I would also make a call. Hope everything is okay.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with this, my guys will drool a little if they are waiting for a treat, and my Dozer tends to drool a little more than Blossom sometimes because of his genetic defect in his jaw, he can't close his mouth so he drools. If this is new or not the norm for Radar and it continues, I would take him to the vet and have him checked out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is true that all dogs drool - especially when there is yummy food in front of them. Some breeds that have heavy lips such as bloodhounds and St. Bernards drool quite a lot because the loose skin around their mouths acts like a receptacle that traps saliva until it overflows.
If your dog drools and slobbers, there is nothing you can do except put some wiping towels at convenient locations through the house.
However, if there is a change in the "drooling pattern" of your dog (e.g. a normally "dry" dog suddenly starts drooling excessively), then you have to pay attention. Sudden excessive drooling usually means that the dog is not feeling too well. In extreme cases, excessive drooling can also lead to dehydration. Dogs with abnormal drooling may also show signs such as hard and listless breathing, head shaking, and scratching and pawing at the mouth.
[h=2]Causes of Excessive Dog Drooling - In the Mouth[/h]The cause of excessive drooling may be easy to identify if it is coming from inside the dog's mouth. If your dog is drooling abnormally, therefore, the first thing to do is to use a flashlight to examine his mouth. You may discover that the drooling is caused by any of the following:
[h=3]Foreign Objects[/h]Perhaps the most common cause of drooling in dogs is that something is stuck in the dog's gums, embedded in his tongue, or caught between his teeth. It may be a piece of string, a bit of bone fragment, a fish hook, etc. If you find a foreign object in your dog's mouth but are unable to remove it, seek veterinary help immediately.
[h=3]Gum or Dental Disease[/h]Dogs with gum disease such as tartar and gingivitis, as well as dogs with dental problems such as a bad or fractured tooth will also drool excessively.
One way to check if your dog has gum or dental disease is to smell his breath. Usually dogs with gum disease or a bacterial infection in the mouth will have really bad breath!
[h=3]Injuries[/h]Injuries inside the mouth can also cause excessive dog drooling. Check for blood in the mouth and gums. Bleeding gums usually are bright red or even purple.
[h=3]Tumors[/h]Tumors that occur in a dog's mouth (e.g. melanoma) can cause a dog to drool excessively. There are of course other signs that indicate the dog may have a tumor in his mouth, such as bad breath, bleeding from the mouth, and difficulty eating.
[h=2]Other Causes[/h]If you cannot find anything unusual in your dog's mouth, consider the following possible causes of drooling:
[h=3]Nausea[/h]Many dogs will drool more than usual when they are traveling by car, because they suffer from motion sickness. The motion upsets their stomachs, causing them nausea which in turn causes them to drool excessively.
[h=3]Pain[/h]Dogs drool when they have pain. There are many reasons why a dog is in pain; for example, bloating, poisoning, infections such as ear infections or urinary tract infections, just to name a few. If you suspect that your dog is drooling because of pain, check for other telltale signs that may confirm your dog is in fact in pain.
[h=3]Liver disease[/h]Dogs suffering from liver disease may also drool excessively. Liver disease is a serious health condition and should be treated by a veterinarian without delay.
[h=3]Rabies[/h]Perhaps the most serious and scariest cause of sudden excessive drooling is rabies. Luckily, this is very rare.
210x75xbanner-m.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1SpkPYvgxh.jpg
[h=2]When to See a Vet Immediately[/h]You should get immediate veterinary assistance when:

• [*=left]you cannot remove a foreign object from the dog's mouth;
    [*=left]you have reason to believe that your dog is drooling because of pain or poisoning;
    [*=left]your dog has a broken or fractured tooth;
    [*=left]you can see pus in the dog's mouth;
    [*=left]your dog's mouth is bleeding which cannot be stopped;
    [*=left]your dog's breath smells really awful.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online