Melatonin use in Bullies

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
My girl Lucy will be 10 in June. Over the past few years she has developed a skin 'issue' where she looses patches of fur. We feed her Natural Balance, had her to the doggie dermatoligist (to the tune of 2,000) to have them tell us she has psorisais and a vitamin A deficiency. OK, well we also got meds and ointments, and a whole bunch of other stuff to put on her. She cleared up and low and behold, another outbreak. This time not as bad, but an outbreak non the less. In addition I have taken a job that is 2.5 hours away and I am gone during the week and come home on weekends. Since she is a 'mommy's girl' I'm thinking there is a little separation anxiety going on and MAYBE that what caused the latest outbreak.

A few people have suggested giving her a dose of Melatonin... has anyone done this/used this? A friend has, and found it does help her bulile with anxiety and fear of loud things, but cannot remember the dosage to administer... any thoughts/comments/concerns...

Thanks

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would use caution and definitely consult your vet.

Although melatonin is naturally produced in the human body, I do not know if it is the same for dogs or if it is the same quantity - therefore the dose in one tablet for a human could be far more than a dog would need, so I would definitely ask your vet first.

I, personally, take melatonin for insomnia. It helps humans stay asleep but can result in a "hung over" effect. I would assume it would have a similar effect in a dog but, again, this is something you'd have to discuss with your vet because I am just speculating.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have not tried Melatonin, but I am sure someone may have some experience with it. It must be hard for you both to be separated :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I personally suffer from Psoriasis and have for years, it is painful and not pretty to look at, actually quite embarrassing, I did not know dogs could have this. I do not take Melatonin, but I have had UV treatments from my derm. dr. and when the sun does not shine during our rainy month I go to a tanning bed every 3 days for 10 min. to get my melatonin going so it does make sense. I would definately talk to your doggie derm. on the dosage I also take Vit. D and fish oil. Along with my steroid creams. What I have learned over the years stress defiantely breaks me out BAD!! About a month after I got married last year was my worse break out in my life, how romantic!!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I have used melatonin for sleep almost a year. I also was advised by my vet to give 1/2 to my OEB when she hurt her leg to keep her from reinjuring it. She is 100lbs and it had no adverse side affects and kept her calm enough for her leg to heal. I would still ask my vet before giving you baby this....just to be safe.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.