Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=1]Know your emergency contact[/h]You never know what is going to happen.
Just the other day I saw my Bulldog smackinā€™ on a AA-battery that came out of an Xbox controller.
Luckily, he didnā€™t get into any of the toxins contained inside or even worse ā€“ he could have swallowed the whole dang thing.
But if he were to swallow that battery, I would have been prepared.
I know the number and the name of our emergency veterinarian. I know where it is located and how to get there.
As of today Iā€™ve been there twice. He just canā€™t help but get into things he shouldnā€™t!
Honestly, if I wasnā€™t able to react quickly to his situations, he may not be here anymore.
[h=1]2. Know the signs of overheating and know how to respond[/h]If you didnā€™t already know, Bulldogs are notoriously bad at cooling themselves down due to their short muzzle and physique.
Bulldogs are a Brachycephalic breed, and breeds of this nature cannot cool down effectively.
Brachycephalic breeds include French, English, American, and Olde English Bulldogs ā€“ along with Pugs and Boston Terriers.
Some signs of overheating are heavy panting to the point of heaving, discolored tongue, possible foaming from the mouth, and exhaustion.
Read about overheating and how to prevent it/correct it here.
In a nutshell, cool your dog down (more tips about that in the link), and have some lemon juice handy in case they start choking on their own saliva. Lemon juice will break down the saliva.
See the comments below for our userā€™s experiences with lemon juice!

[h=1]3. Know how to apply chest compressions[/h]Freak events do happen, but if it does, knowing how to apply chest compressions to your Bulldog could be life saving.
Events that would require such a maneuver would be sudden unconsciousness and non-response.
Check out this video where this dogā€™s life is saved by a dog trainer applying CPR ā€“ truly incredible (and terrifying):

[h=1]4. Know how to dislodge an object from your bullyā€™s throat[/h]
Image Source Unknown

Okay, if your Bulldogs are anything like mine then you know they can chew on anything and everything.
Like I said above, I caught little Dexter the other day delightfully snacking on a battery.
Had it been caught in his throat, there would have been things I could have done to dislodge the battery.
Option 1 is to grab your Bully by his hind legs when he is on all fours. Then lift his/her hind legs up and tilt them forward to make your pooch do a handstand. This method uses gravity to dislodge the object.
Some people have also had success simply sticking their hands in their bulldogs throat and removing the item. Try the first method initially.
The second method is more dangerous but if nothing is working, it is certainly better than letting your dog choke.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great info!! :up:

Never thought about batteries before.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran