Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tail infection

  1. #1
    agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    jimmyjj's Avatar
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Location
    A Scottish guy living in England
    Posts
    2,715
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)
    475

    Default Tail infection

    A friend of mine has a bully with in inverted tail. It keeps getting infected.
    I know nowt about this so I ll ask my friends.

    I have told her to join us on ebn


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11506

    Default Re: Tail infection

    A few members have had to have the tail amputated.... I tagged two I can remember
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6199

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Yes, if its inverted, it will keep getting infected - amputation might be the best solution.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  4. #4
    agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    jimmyjj's Avatar
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Location
    A Scottish guy living in England
    Posts
    2,715
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)
    475

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Yes, if its inverted, it will keep getting infected - amputation might be the best solution.
    The vet suggested that to her, I just thought there was an easier way than surgery.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6199

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    The vet suggested that to her, I just thought there was an easier way than surgery.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess it depends on how bad it is. Keeping it clean & dry is the best, but is that enough - all depends on how the tail is affecting it? Because being on antibiotics for a long time isn't good either If it keeps happening.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  6. #6
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Depends on how inverted it is...

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    The vet suggested that to her, I just thought there was an easier way than surgery.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Blue's is extremely inverted and if I don't clean it out every 2-3 days right now with mal-a-ket wipes, it will get all yeasty and infected.

    So far, we've managed to control it by keeping it clean (except for one time were he required antibiotics) and he's almost 2.5 years old.
    I would try using mal-a-ket, malactic, douxo or trizchlor4 wipes. All of them contain yeast and microbe killing properties. They're also self drying which is very important. Before considering surgery, I would give the cleaning routine a try.

    Only thing is, your friend really needs to get in there. A lot of the time we don't really understand how deep that pocket can go.

    Here are the UK Amazon links for two of the products I mentioned above:
    Dechra TrizCHLOR 4 Wipes (50 count): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
    Malacetic HC Wipes with Hydrocortisone - 25 wipes: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies


  8. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #8
    agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    jimmyjj's Avatar
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Location
    A Scottish guy living in England
    Posts
    2,715
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)
    475

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Blue's is extremely inverted and if I don't clean it out every 2-3 days right now with mal-a-ket wipes, it will get all yeasty and infected.

    So far, we've managed to control it by keeping it clean (except for one time were he required antibiotics) and he's almost 2.5 years old.
    I would try using mal-a-ket, malactic, douxo or trizchlor4 wipes. All of them contain yeast and microbe killing properties. They're also self drying which is very important. Before considering surgery, I would give the cleaning routine a try.

    Only thing is, your friend really needs to get in there. A lot of the time we don't really understand how deep that pocket can go.

    Here are the UK Amazon links for two of the products I mentioned above:
    Dechra TrizCHLOR 4 Wipes (50 count): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
    Malacetic HC Wipes with Hydrocortisone - 25 wipes: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
    Thank you. I've passed this on via fbook.
    Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1768

    Default Re: Tail infection

    Monty's previous owners were told he needed to have his tail amputated as he had a deep pocket and tight screw with the tip pointed in (I am not sure if that means it was inverted). It was very hard to keep clean and got infected. We took him to a bully vet here and he amputated the tip and closed up the pocket. We had to take him back for a minor adjustment but what a difference, it has been like night and day. He said he doesn't do amputations unless there is no alternative as that can spawn other complications. Monty still has his tail and no more smelly infected pocket!


    -20150706_120833_resized_1-1-jpg

    I just realized something, the majority of pictures of Monty on here are of his rear end! Poor dog! Will have to find a head shot!

    -monty-pool-jpg
    Last edited by 1Chumly; 07-06-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: addition
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  11. Likes jimmyjj, TyTysmom liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •