agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
A friend of mine has a bully with in inverted tail. It keeps getting infected.
I know nowt about this so I ll ask my friends.

I have told her to join us on ebn [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A few members have had to have the tail amputated.... I tagged two I can remember

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, if its inverted, it will keep getting infected - amputation might be the best solution.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Yes, if its inverted, it will keep getting infected - amputation might be the best solution.

The vet suggested that to her, I just thought there was an easier way than surgery.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The vet suggested that to her, I just thought there was an easier way than surgery.

I guess it depends on how bad it is. Keeping it clean & dry is the best, but is that enough - all depends on how the tail is affecting it? Because being on antibiotics for a long time isn't good either :( If it keeps happening.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Depends on how inverted it is...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue's is extremely inverted and if I don't clean it out every 2-3 days right now with mal-a-ket wipes, it will get all yeasty and infected.

So far, we've managed to control it by keeping it clean (except for one time were he required antibiotics) and he's almost 2.5 years old.
I would try using mal-a-ket, malactic, douxo or trizchlor4 wipes. All of them contain yeast and microbe killing properties. They're also self drying which is very important. Before considering surgery, I would give the cleaning routine a try.

Only thing is, your friend really needs to get in there. A lot of the time we don't really understand how deep that pocket can go.

Here are the UK Amazon links for two of the products I mentioned above:
Dechra TrizCHLOR 4 Wipes (50 count): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
Malacetic HC Wipes with Hydrocortisone - 25 wipes: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Blue's is extremely inverted and if I don't clean it out every 2-3 days right now with mal-a-ket wipes, it will get all yeasty and infected.

So far, we've managed to control it by keeping it clean (except for one time were he required antibiotics) and he's almost 2.5 years old.
I would try using mal-a-ket, malactic, douxo or trizchlor4 wipes. All of them contain yeast and microbe killing properties. They're also self drying which is very important. Before considering surgery, I would give the cleaning routine a try.

Only thing is, your friend really needs to get in there. A lot of the time we don't really understand how deep that pocket can go.

Here are the UK Amazon links for two of the products I mentioned above:
Dechra TrizCHLOR 4 Wipes (50 count): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
Malacetic HC Wipes with Hydrocortisone - 25 wipes: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Thank you. I've passed this on via fbook.
Cheers

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty's previous owners were told he needed to have his tail amputated as he had a deep pocket and tight screw with the tip pointed in (I am not sure if that means it was inverted). It was very hard to keep clean and got infected. We took him to a bully vet here and he amputated the tip and closed up the pocket. We had to take him back for a minor adjustment but what a difference, it has been like night and day. He said he doesn't do amputations unless there is no alternative as that can spawn other complications. Monty still has his tail and no more smelly infected pocket!

20150706_120833_resized_1 (1).jpg

I just realized something, the majority of pictures of Monty on here are of his rear end! Poor dog! Will have to find a head shot!

Monty in his pool.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.