Is it normal for EBD to be vocal and whining after neuter?

Hanks Mother

Jan 16, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hello everyone. Hank just got home from being neutered this morning. The procedure went well and he did great. He's home now and is verrrrryyy whiny and vocal, which is not like him at all. Is this normal? They gave him a pain injection before he left. he is still a bit groggy. We can't give him pain meds until the morning. I just want to know if I'm overreacting or if there might be something wrong. His crying is breaking this momma's heart.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
In all my experiences with spay and neuter and other surgeries with this breed my answer would be no, they should not be very vocal/whiny, but that does not mean that your boy isn't particularly sensitive. I would give the vet a call and let them know that this is a little abnormal for him and see what they say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I agree with Lisa. I'd call the vet and see what he says. I've never had a dog whine and cry after surgery, but that doesn't mean that some might.

OP
H

Hanks Mother

Jan 16, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
They are closed and will be closed until Monday since it's a holiday. He's a year and a half old, so I thought maybe he was more vocal/whiny because his parts were much larger than if he would have had it done while he was younger. It seems as if maybe he's just sore, but he's not vomiting or bleeding from anywhere. We are checking his gums periodically to make sure they're still pink. My boyfriend, who picked him up, said he also seemed very confused, so maybe it's a combination of soreness and being groggy and confused about the change of settings?
We're going to watch him and if he starts getting sick or worse at all, we'll take him to the emergency clinic. I'd like to put that off if at all possible because their prices are insane, especially during a holiday.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
My one year old was groggy and slow - but not vocal or whiny. About a day after neutering Harvey was back to his old self even jumping up to the sofa although I was trying to limit all this jumping.

As the anesthesia was wearing off, your boy must be experiencing pain.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Hello everyone. Hank just got home from being neutered this morning. The procedure went well and he did great. He's home now and is verrrrryyy whiny and vocal, which is not like him at all. Is this normal? They gave him a pain injection before he left. he is still a bit groggy. We can't give him pain meds until the morning. I just want to know if I'm overreacting or if there might be something wrong. His crying is breaking this momma's heart.
In my experience the whiny.vocal part was due to having the munchies from the anesthesia and grogginess. Abbott was soooo vocal it was crazy but we kept giving him little nibbles of food over a few hours and he was golden. But I agree if it keeps up go to the vet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've already been great advice, it may be that he is in a little pain with the anesthetic wearing off. Just keep an eye on him, and give him some extra cuddles and if he's no better by tomorrow, take him to the vet to be checked out. I hope he's okay, and that he's feeling better tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I just looked this up on line, and it says that coming off of anesthetic can cause a dog to be groggy and also can cause them to whimper and be vocal, it can be a normal reaction to the anesthetic, so give him a day or two and offer him extra water to help flush out the anesthetic from his system. I'm sure he's fine.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Just had my pup spayed a week ago and she was whiny & grunted quite a bit the day of her surgery but it stopped the next a.m. My vet said it was normal. If it continues though I'd definitely take your boy in just to rule anything out.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank did this pitiful little whine/cry for about 24 hours after his neuter. The anesthesia can definitely have that effect. Just keep an eye on him and if it continues I would contact your vet. Let us know how he's doing today :)

OP
H

Hanks Mother

Jan 16, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hey Everyone! Just to keep you updated, Hank is fine. My boyfriend was the one home with him and told me he was whining, but when I got home he stopped, so I think maybe he was missing me and was just confused and a little sore. He is doing much better the last few days. In fact, we thought fixing him might mellow him out, but he is more hyper than ever. We've had to kennel him to keep him from tearing his sutures during his nightly 'zoomie' attacks. He's his ornery old self! Thank you everyone for responding and easing my worried thoughts!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey Everyone! Just to keep you updated, Hank is fine. My boyfriend was the one home with him and told me he was whining, but when I got home he stopped, so I think maybe he was missing me and was just confused and a little sore. He is doing much better the last few days. In fact, we thought fixing him might mellow him out, but he is more hyper than ever. We've had to kennel him to keep him from tearing his sutures during his nightly 'zoomie' attacks. He's his ornery old self! Thank you everyone for responding and easing my worried thoughts!

Great to hear he is doing better and just wanted his Momma! :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.