Cornea ulcer

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We had to take Castor to the vet today and came back with three different kinds of eye drops. Last night we noticed that he kept one of his eyes closed and was trying to scratch at it, and it turned out he has a cornea ulcer. The strange thing is that we have no idea when this happened, or how - perhaps he ran into a grass or twig or something.

The vet said the ulcer is superficial, but that it still may take time to heal. Now I just hope he won't start scratching at it - I'm quite sure he wouldn't like to wear a cone.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh poor Castor! That must hurt! I'm sure the drops will help and he will heal faster than he would if he was older. Those things do take a while to heal.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
oh no. When harvey had the ulcer, we put the inflatable doughnut around his neck so he would not scratch his eyes. Good Luck. With medication, it will heal in a week.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor Castor, sending positive and healing thoughts....

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
oh no. When harvey had the ulcer, we put the inflatable doughnut around his neck so he would not scratch his eyes. Good Luck. With medication, it will heal in a week.

Thanks for the tip - the inflatable ones look somewhat more wearable. Will check that out if needed. Did you keep it on all day and night or only if he was left unsupervised?

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Thanks for the tip - the inflatable ones look somewhat more wearable. Will check that out if needed. Did you keep it on all day and night or only if he was left unsupervised?

we left it on even when he sleeps. We take it off when its time for him to eat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Castor doing? Our Frenchie did this about a year ago and it was so sad as it appeared so painful, we did drops/ontiment for, I think 2 weeks

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
How is Castor doing? Our Frenchie did this about a year ago and it was so sad as it appeared so painful, we did drops/ontiment for, I think 2 weeks

@cefe13 How is Castor? Hoping he is doing better today, no more flirting with goats!!!

Thanks for asking! We have an appointment at the vet's tomorrow. Castor has been very calm and hasn't scratch or anything, which we hope is a good sign. Poor Castor misses his sheep friends (they do look a like goats but are actually a Swedish sheep breed!) - after we got back to town, we looked at one of our films that had sound, and he ran around looking for them here!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Quick and positive update on Castor's eye - the vet said it's healing well! We'll go back for a new check up in a couple of weeks to make sure the eye looks ok, but so far so good.:)

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Glad your baby is OK! Tonka did this when he was younger and I felt so bad for him - they look so miserable. I hope your baby doesn't develop any allergy issues. Tonka kept scratching at his eyes and kept hurting himself and I was worried he would do serious damage and that's when we looked into his environmental allergies/treatments for them. Just something to keep in mind as a possible cause if this keeps happening. Hopefully it wont!!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.