HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
My little guy, Otis 13 weeks, has diarrhea for the second time since we got him 3 weeks ago. 1st time wasn't so much diarrhea but he had a couple drops of blood in a few poops. Vet did a fecal and found nothing but treated him with meds for GI and coccidia. It helped instantly. He's been off the meds for almost a week and now has diarrhea. No blood this time, but it ranges from almost normal to runny pudding (sorry for that gross description). I can't for the life of me figure out what he's getting into! He tries to eat rocks, bugs, grass and sticks and I'm constantly pulling stuff from his mouth. I'm with him almost all the time unless he's in his crate. He's eating Iams smart puppy bc that's what the breeder was giving him. If he gets treats its plain boiled chicken or a tiny nugget of cheese. He is supposed to go into the vet for another round of shots today. Should I ask the vet to do another fecal instead? Could this be dietary? I'm getting paranoid every time he goes out that hes getting something (what I have no clue). BTW he's drinking, playing like a wild man, and acting like he's famished...so his behavior is normal. Any advice or ideas???
Thanks in advance,
Catherine

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Catherine, it wouldn't hurt to do another fecal check, but diarrhea in a puppy can be from so many things.
Food can be a big one, many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains, and cheese is a dairy product which can cause gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea if they eat too much. My guys came from the breeder on Royal Canin, which is chicken based and also has corn and grains in it. My guys have allergies to chicken, salmon, beef and grains, and they are currently on Fromms Lamb and Lentil. Also feeding too much food van cause diarrhea, how much do you feed Otis? Puppies generally eat 1 cup of a puppy kibble 3 times a day until the age of 6 or 7 months, and then are switched to an adult food and feelings are reduced to 1 cup of kibble two times a day. I have the same problem with my guys eating everything in sight, these bullies think they're bully goats. My male Bulldozer loves to eat textiles, his favourite thing being sweat socks, he's swallowed 4 of them in the last 3 years. He also loves dish cloths, underwear, towels, blankets, and stuffed animals. We can't leave anything around, laundry has to be locked up, and he can't have any pillows or blankets in his crate. My female Blossom doesn't eat things in the house, (except cat food) lol, but she is like Otis and will pick up,everything outside, she eats stones, sticks, leaves, random food she finds, cigarette butts, wood chips and pine cones.
Im constantly pulling things out of her mouth too. Diarrhea can also be caused by something they have swallowed, diarrhea and vomiting are often signs of an obstruction. Could Otis have swallowed something you may not know about?
if he doesn't get better, I would ask the vet to check his tummy, and maybe do an X-ray. I hope he gets better soon, please keep us posted.

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Hi Catherine, it wouldn't hurt to do another fecal check, but diarrhea in a puppy can be from so many things.
Food can be a big one, many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains, and cheese is a dairy product which can cause gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea if they eat too much. My guys came from the breeder on Royal Canin, which is chicken based and also has corn and grains in it. My guys have allergies to chicken, salmon, beef and grains, and they are currently on Fromms Lamb and Lentil. Also feeding too much food van cause diarrhea, how much do you feed Otis? Puppies generally eat 1 cup of a puppy kibble 3 times a day until the age of 6 or 7 months, and then are switched to an adult food and feelings are reduced to 1 cup of kibble two times a day. I have the same problem with my guys eating everything in sight, these bullies think they're bully goats. My male Bulldozer loves to eat textiles, his favourite thing being sweat socks, he's swallowed 4 of them in the last 3 years. He also loves dish cloths, underwear, towels, blankets, and stuffed animals. We can't leave anything around, laundry has to be locked up, and he can't have any pillows or blankets in his crate. My female Blossom doesn't eat things in the house, (except cat food) lol, but she is like Otis and will pick up,everything outside, she eats stones, sticks, leaves, random food she finds, cigarette butts, wood chips and pine cones.
Im constantly pulling things out of her mouth too. Diarrhea can also be caused by something they have swallowed, diarrhea and vomiting are often signs of an obstruction. Could Otis have swallowed something you may not know about?
if he doesn't get better, I would ask the vet to check his tummy, and maybe do an X-ray. I hope he gets better soon, please keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently feeding 3/4 cups 3x per day. I'm going to get another fecal today and go from there. Also, just going to feed him some white rice today and hope it helps. He hasn't been vomiting but maybe he swallowed something...certainly possible with this guy. Wish me luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently feeding 3/4 cups 3x per day. I'm going to get another fecal today and go from there. Also, just going to feed him some white rice today and hope it helps. He hasn't been vomiting but maybe he swallowed something...certainly possible with this guy. Wish me luck!

The amount you you are feeding him sounds fine, and there is even room to increase it to 1 cup 3 times a day, if he seems hungry as he grows bigger, but it still could be the chicken. It is a good idea to have the fecal check, and also to try a bland diet for a few days, boiled rice and hamburger is good for a bland diet, and you can also try adding some pure pumpkin purée not the desert kind. You can find pumpkin at the grocery store, but many pet food stores carry it for pets as well. I buy mine from PetValu or Rens and I keep it in the house, it's good for treating both diarrhea and constipation.
Keep an eye on him for signs of obstruction like diarrhea, vomiting, lethargic behaviour or drooling water from the mouth.
Watch his poops for objects to see if he passes anything he may have eaten. I hope he feels better soon

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How old is he? An 8 week old pup eats 1/2c 3 times a day, whereas a 16 week old pup is about a cup 3 times a day.

I would try reducing the amount fed by just a little bit to start with, and if that doesn't help then you can try changing foods or get a fecal done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
You may want to look at switching foods. There is a great site that ranks different dog foods, called dogfoodadvisor.com. I hope you figure it out soon. Let us know!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie had diarrhea off and on for a while when she was a puppy. At first it was coccidia and she took medicine for that and got better (it took two rounds to get over the coccidia). Her stools were still pretty loose sometimes and I started her on a probiotic in her morning meal. I use Fortiflora. I switched her to Orijen puppy food, which is a high quality, grain free food. Most people here have good results with Fromm, which is also very good. I never tried the pumpkin, but I would try it for severe diarrhea.

Now she is almost a year and she's done very well on Orijen adult food, 1 cup twice a day, which we started at 7 months.
I still do the probiotics every morning. At night, I add a Tablspoon of plain Greek yogurt, and a teaspoon of coconut oil for skin and coat, and 1/4 cup of Answers Fermented Fish (good for skin and joints and other stuff!). I also give her a joint supplement in her evening meal.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what has worked for us. Ask your vet about the probiotic--that made a big change for us. Good luck and keep us posted!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@HandsomeOtis One of mine,as a pup, I noticed she had blood in her stool. She did not have loose stool,but I could see blood. I had several fecals done, and all were clear. The breeder had been feeding Diamond Natural,and I was surprised,as I had gotten her the same food. I then switched her to Taste of the Wild,Pacific, and no more blood in stool-turned out it was the food not agreeing with her,and I thought I did the right thing-getting what the breeder fed.

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Thanks all! I'm going to gradually switch his food and also keep up the white rice, pure pumpkin, and plain yogurt for a bit. His last 2 bm looked so much better already!! His fecal/appointment today showed he is healthy. And in true Otis fashion he charmed the socks off everyone there. Thanks again for all the insight and suggestions!! Y'all are awesome.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.