Help Needed! My dog's private area looks inflamed

bullybabylove

Dec 15, 2014
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Freddy Baby
Hi everyone! My bully baby is having problems with his sensitive areas. I have visited these forums quite a bit for knowledge and good advice in caring for my bulldog. But this is my first time posting a question, and I'm hoping someone here would be able to help me pinpoint what might be going on my bulldog Freddy. Freddy just turned 1 year. For the past couple of days he has been very whiny, not wanting to drink as much water and was lethargic one of the days also. We coudn't figure it out. Just tonite, my husband noticed Freddy would not sit completely on his hind legs and was being very shifty, and then he discovered a crusty material around both sides of his scrotum. Upon closer inspection we found the area very oozy, raw looking and inflamed. We managed to get some pictures - they're graphic I apologize. Afterwards I tried to wipe this area with some malaseb flush but this was a horrible ordeal; he became unusually aggressive - it even frightened me. We have never had a problem wiping his bum although he doesnt really like his face wiped, but he has never been this aggressive. I feel bad for him as he seems so uncomfortable. He won't let us get near the area. I just came back the vet with a very costly bill for a completely different issue, and I am willing to take him again if need be but i just didn't know if anyone else had experience with same issue... Many thanks. fr-100-100.jpgfr-101-100.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry, no experience, but since he got aggressive when you tried to clean him, he is clearly in pain and discomfort. You could try to lift him on the table for cleaning and inspection, since that usually makes them more calm and easier to handle. Also not wanting to drink and being lethargic are not good signs, so unfortunately a trip to vets sounds a sound thing to do.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi everyone! My bully baby is having problems with his sensitive areas. I have visited these forums quite a bit for knowledge and good advice in caring for my bulldog. But this is my first time posting a question, and I'm hoping someone here would be able to help me pinpoint what might be going on my bulldog Freddy. Freddy just turned 1 year. For the past couple of days he has been very whiny, not wanting to drink as much water and was lethargic one of the days also. We coudn't figure it out. Just tonite, my husband noticed Freddy would not sit completely on his hind legs and was being very shifty, and then he discovered a crusty material around both sides of his scrotum. Upon closer inspection we found the area very oozy, raw looking and inflamed. We managed to get some pictures - they're graphic I apologize. Afterwards I tried to wipe this area with some malaseb flush but this was a horrible ordeal; he became unusually aggressive - it even frightened me. We have never had a problem wiping his bum although he doesnt really like his face wiped, but he has never been this aggressive. I feel bad for him as he seems so uncomfortable. He won't let us get near the area. I just came back the vet with a very costly bill for a completely different issue, and I am willing to take him again if need be but i just didn't know if anyone else had experience with same issue... Many thanks.View attachment 88500View attachment 88501

My first thought is either hot spot or heat rash. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - what do you think?

Tyson used to get these right in the same areas. BUT since you said its crusty & ooze, I'm leaning more towards hot spot possibly. I would take a more gentle approach to cleaning. Maybe put him in the tub, and gently splash water to wash it. Do you have Vetericyn? I would get some and spray it on it. It shouldn't cause him any pain. The only thing that triggers a vet visit for me personally is the lethargic part. The aggressiveness is because he's in pain. Its his only way to express it. Just to be on the safe side, I would swing by the vet again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does look like a hotspot, but hard to be 100%.... give him some benedryl to help with the discomfort and see if that also gets you in for a cleaning (makes him sleepy), you want to get the area dry, if possible shave the area too as the fur traps the moisture and dirt which can cause infection and the spot to spread

OOD LUCK and :welcome3: to EBN

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Poor baby! I would also lean on the side of going to the vet since he isn't acting like himself. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It does look like a hotspot, but hard to be 100%.... give him some benedryl to help with the discomfort and see if that also gets you in for a cleaning (makes him sleepy), you want to get the area dry, if possible shave the area too as the fur traps the moisture and dirt which can cause infection and the spot to spread

OOD LUCK and :welcome3: to EBN

My thought when I saw it was hot spots,also. The lethargic part is odd, unless he doesn't want to walk because it is so sore. Vetericyn does work on hot spots, when it is dry, you could try some gold bond medicated powder, NuStock would work,too,but if he won't let you fool with it, you may have to go to vet again. You don't want it to get infected. It isn't exactly in a place where it gets much air to dry it.

OP
bullybabylove

bullybabylove

Dec 15, 2014
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Freddy Baby
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Based on the info here it does seem like a hot spot. I am going to see if I can pick up some Vetericyn and give it another shot. I'm going to take the benadryl advice - hopefully that will calm him and maybe he will let me spray the area before I have to schedule another vet visit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Based on the info here it does seem like a hot spot. I am going to see if I can pick up some Vetericyn and give it another shot. I'm going to take the benadryl advice - hopefully that will calm him and maybe he will let me spray the area before I have to schedule another vet visit.

She's going in! Best of luck :giggle: See if you can get hubby or some one else to distract him with belly rubs while you do a quick spray

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online