angelamorgan22

Jun 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maxwell
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, but likely should have joined the day we welcomed Maxwell Harris into our home. He has been a pretty sick puppy thus far and we are now faced with yet another challenge.

He is currently being treated for Mange, and has about a weeks worth of medication remaining. The skin looks much better, and he had gotten a lot of his energy back in the past 2 weeks, so much so that he has been on a destructive streak.

Last night we noticed that Max was acting very sleepy, and drinking a lot of water. We thought he may need to be cooled down, so we have him a cool shower, put some ice packs under his belly and bootie, and he seemed to be feeling better. Today when I went to get him out of his crate, he was still sound asleep after sleeping for almost 12 hours. He went outside and did his business, ate a little of his breakfast, and came back in- plopped back down and went right back to sleep.

He has been sleeping basically non-stop all day. When we did get him up he wobbled along, ran into furniture, and his back legs seems to give way several times- he walked like a drunk. His heart rate and breathing are normal, and he is not running a temperature. He is twitching in his sleep, which is also concerning.

When this sleepy behavior began, we thought he maybe growing again, can that make this dog this tired?? Any thoughts are appreciated

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter had demondex mange, and we opted for the dips. After his dip was done (and he had dried) he would be lethargic for awhile, and then would pep up in the afternoons. IMO I would stop the medication and talk to your vet, sounds like he may not be responding well to this medication. Does your vet have an emergency number?!! I would call and see what they say...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would get him to a vet if he doesn't show improvement by morning.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with David, it's a little on the serious side so I'd be at the vet if no improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Same with Brett after his dips he would be lethargic at night so I kept an eye out on him. But next day afternoon he was fine.Definitely call the vet asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome to EBN [MENTION=14422]angelamorgan22[/MENTION]:) Sorry to hear you've had some health challenges with your little one, it's so sad when they're not feeling well:( I would probably take everyone's advice and call the vet and take him in for a check up, especially since his back legs are giving in. Bulldogs are very sensitive, maybe there is a different route to take if the vet thinks he's not responding well to the Mange medicine.

Please keep us posted about him <3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, but likely should have joined the day we welcomed Maxwell Harris into our home. He has been a pretty sick puppy thus far and we are now faced with yet another challenge.

He is currently being treated for Mange, and has about a weeks worth of medication remaining. The skin looks much better, and he had gotten a lot of his energy back in the past 2 weeks, so much so that he has been on a destructive streak.

Last night we noticed that Max was acting very sleepy, and drinking a lot of water. We thought he may need to be cooled down, so we have him a cool shower, put some ice packs under his belly and bootie, and he seemed to be feeling better. Today when I went to get him out of his crate, he was still sound asleep after sleeping for almost 12 hours. He went outside and did his business, ate a little of his breakfast, and came back in- plopped back down and went right back to sleep.

He has been sleeping basically non-stop all day. When we did get him up he wobbled along, ran into furniture, and his back legs seems to give way several times- he walked like a drunk. His heart rate and breathing are normal, and he is not running a temperature. He is twitching in his sleep, which is also concerning.

When this sleepy behavior began, we thought he maybe growing again, can that make this dog this tired?? Any thoughts are appreciated

Agree with the others.... a vet visit is in order. Please keep us posted

OP
A

angelamorgan22

Jun 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maxwell
Hi All,

Hi again,

Maxwell woke up this morning with energy and no more weakness or dizziness!! I called his vet and told him what had happened and he said while rare for the medication to have this effect, especially 3 weeks into treatment to stop giving it. His hair has grown back and he redness all but disappeared already. He said it could have also been caused by overheating or several other things. We are going to watch him today and if everything remains normal, we will assume it's meds.

I really appreciate all your thoughts he is a handful but we would be heartbroken if anything happened to him! This picture was taken this morning, he crawled up in bed, put his paw around me, his head on mine and slept like that for 30 mins! ❤️❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 152

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi again,

Maxwell woke up this morning with energy and no more weakness or dizziness!! I called his vet and told him what had happened and he said while rare for the medication to have this effect, especially 3 weeks into treatment to stop giving it. His hair has grown back and he redness all but disappeared already. He said it could have also been caused by overheating or several other things. We are going to watch him today and if everything remains normal, we will assume it's meds.

I really appreciate all your thoughts he is a handful but we would be heartbroken if anything happened to him! This picture was taken this morning, he crawled up in bed, put his paw around me, his head on mine and slept like that for 30 mins! ❤️❤️

YEAH!! keep us posted, hope it was just the meds and he is a rambucious pup for you going forward !! LOVE the picture, so sweet when they do this

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Such a sweet picture! I hope it was the meds, and that your baby will be fine.:yes: Oh and :EBNwelcome:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Happy to read he is more energetic! that picture is awesome!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Hi again,

Great news:happy:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO glad to hear that he's better… what an adorable pic!!!

Most Reactions