Rimadyl for Arthritis

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The more research I do, the more I'm starting to lean towards the Adequan injections. I read that you have to do 2 a week for up to 4 weeks. I wonder if this is initially then you use as needed? I also read alot about just doing the injections as home. Gosh, decisions. I am going to talk to the vet tomorrow - I should get his bloodwork results then. And see what she thinks. The injections have WAY less side effects vs the rimadyl.

I used Adequan on both Nitschke (took them like a champ) and Banks.... yes, you do many shots a week and then work down to one shot a month. I forget the breakdown and it may even be different now as it was a few years ago that I did all that. Banks had arthritis in her spine and hips.... she was initially on the shots, but the drama and stress it caused her just was not worth the benefit of it for me. So I spoke with our vet and we placed her on Deramaxx and Tramadol.... after a couple years we had to add the gabapetin and then the laser therapy. Banks LOVED, LOVED, LOVED her laser sessions, it was basically a 45 min massage once a month and we could totally notice when she was due for her session. She would be a little slower coming up the stairs or getting off the sofa, but the next morning after a session she was puppy-fied again.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I used Adequan on both Nitschke (took them like a champ) and Banks.... yes, you do many shots a week and then work down to one shot a month. I forget the breakdown and it may even be different now as it was a few years ago that I did all that. Banks had arthritis in her spine and hips.... she was initially on the shots, but the drama and stress it caused her just was not worth the benefit of it for me. So I spoke with our vet and we placed her on Deramaxx and Tramadol.... after a couple years we had to add the gabapetin and then the laser therapy. Banks LOVED, LOVED, LOVED her laser sessions, it was basically a 45 min massage once a month and we could totally notice when she was due for her session. She would be a little slower coming up the stairs or getting off the sofa, but the next morning after a session she was puppy-fied again.

Why did the shots give her stress?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Why did the shots give her stress?

Because she was a drama queen beeeoch :D She wanted nothing to do with any needle that was given by me, not even food distraction worked, however if I took her to the vet for the shot, no problem, she just sat there for him :stinkeye:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The more research I do, the more I'm starting to lean towards the Adequan injections. I read that you have to do 2 a week for up to 4 weeks. I wonder if this is initially then you use as needed? I also read alot about just doing the injections as home. Gosh, decisions. I am going to talk to the vet tomorrow - I should get his bloodwork results then. And see what she thinks. The injections have WAY less side effects vs the rimadyl.

You need to get them at serum level, and then you taper off depending on their activity levels. You can tell right away if it's working… I think Roxie started at shots every other day for a couple of weeks, and then she was down to once a week, and then maintenance was every other week. It also depends on their age, and how much they are hurting, Roxie was pretty old for a boxer...

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I just got a call back from the vet - she said Tyson's bloodwork is PERFECT. I have been so anxious - I am the type that goes to the worst right away. Ugh, what a relief!! So I also discussed laser & injections with her. We are not going to do the Rimadyl, instead I think I'm going to start him on the laser therapy as early as next week. She said to do both the laser & injections at the same time, HOWEVER I want to start with just one thing at a time, and see how he does. If I do both at the same time I won't know which is working per say. Does that make sense? @2BullyMama - she raved about the laser, so I'm feeling really good about it. Just like you said, she said it feels like a warm massage. What I wanted to ask you was this. She said she would do 3 treatments the first week, 2 the second week, and 1 the following week, then kinda phase out to once a month depending on he does. Does this sound pretty accurate on how you started with Banks?

Guys, I am so relieved on his bloodwork. With his age, I've been scared and told that things come on fast, and unexpected, etc. So I will have his bloodwork done every 6 months. But she said it was literally, perfect... she said he is in phenomenal shape for his age; besides the arthritis which we are tackling now to get him some relief. She also said, "this is a true sign of how well dogs do as they get older when they have parents who truly take care of them, and do everything possible to keep them healthy"
@Donnam @ddnene @nycbullymama

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That's great news Jessica!!
I knew Ty was in great shape- he's got the best mama taking care of him!!

I'm curious to know how he does after the laser therapy...

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
That's great news Jessica!!
I knew Ty was in great shape- he's got the best mama taking care of him!!

I'm curious to know how he does after the laser therapy...

:) You already know I will keep you guys posted all throughout :) I love that its a holistic approach and with no side effects!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just got a call back from the vet - she said Tyson's bloodwork is PERFECT. I have been so anxious - I am the type that goes to the worst right away. Ugh, what a relief!! So I also discussed laser & injections with her. We are not going to do the Rimadyl, instead I think I'm going to start him on the laser therapy as early as next week. She said to do both the laser & injections at the same time, HOWEVER I want to start with just one thing at a time, and see how he does. If I do both at the same time I won't know which is working per say. Does that make sense? @2BullyMama - she raved about the laser, so I'm feeling really good about it. Just like you said, she said it feels like a warm massage. What I wanted to ask you was this. She said she would do 3 treatments the first week, 2 the second week, and 1 the following week, then kinda phase out to once a month depending on he does. Does this sound pretty accurate on how you started with Banks?

Guys, I am so relieved on his bloodwork. With his age, I've been scared and told that things come on fast, and unexpected, etc. So I will have his bloodwork done every 6 months. But she said it was literally, perfect... she said he is in phenomenal shape for his age; besides the arthritis which we are tackling now to get him some relief. She also said, "this is a true sign of how well dogs do as they get older when they have parents who truly take care of them, and do everything possible to keep them healthy"
@Donnam @ddnene @nycbullymama

What great news --- love, love love good news from vet appointments! TyTy has a superb Momma!

I can not say enough great things about laser therapy... Banks loved it (that may be an understatement since she could not talk :D ) and we totally noticed a difference in her movement and pain levels. And, yes, we did as you describe with Banks... memory is cloudy on exacts, but it was like 3 a week, then 2 a week, then once a week, once every two weeks and then once a month. We could also go in at any time for an extra session as we saw fit.... I highly recommend it.

Banks' arthritis was sever .... our vet would always shake his head when he looked at her x-rays and say ' any other breed and she would not be able to walk' (pain tolerance plays a big role) that is why we did all the pain meds in addition to the laser, her spine was loaded with it.

Edit --- also, you can be with him the whole time for the treatment too... it is not anything you have to be away from him for. I took Banks, but I always waited in the lobby for her cause she squirmed around when I was in the room... without me there, the techs told me she would lay on the floor and just relax/sleep -- they really enjoyed doing her sessions

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
What great news --- love, love love good news from vet appointments! TyTy has a superb Momma!

I can not say enough great things about laser therapy... Banks loved it (that may be an understatement since she could not talk :D ) and we totally noticed a difference in her movement and pain levels. And, yes, we did as you describe with Banks... memory is cloudy on exacts, but it was like 3 a week, then 2 a week, then once a week, once every two weeks and then once a month. We could also go in at any time for an extra session as we saw fit.... I highly recommend it.

Banks' arthritis was sever .... our vet would always shake his head when he looked at her x-rays and say ' any other breed and she would not be able to walk' (pain tolerance plays a big role) that is why we did all the pain meds in addition to the laser, her spine was loaded with it.

Edit --- also, you can be with him the whole time for the treatment too... it is not anything you have to be away from him for. I took Banks, but I always waited in the lobby for her cause she squirmed around when I was in the room... without me there, the techs told me she would lay on the floor and just relax/sleep -- they really enjoyed doing her sessions

Awesome, thanks so much Christine. I wanted to hear it from you, and just make sure it sounded right. Tyson is not severe. Its worst in his back left leg, then its minor in his front right elbow. The other two have no signs. His spine is perfectly fine as well, she mentioned he had one area in the back where he had one fuse (?) there was no gap compared to the rest of his spine, but she said that was perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

One more thing, she said they would do laser on the 2 legs that he doesn't have arthritis on too, to be preventative.... does this sound right? You know I'll be doing research all weekend, but I'm feeling really confident with it. She also said we could go with him if they had enough goggles, but she said they tend to do better without us there. (Just like you said) So I may sit in for first one just to see - and then let him go alone for next ones. 10-15 mins top is what she said.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awesome, thanks so much Christine. I wanted to hear it from you, and just make sure it sounded right. Tyson is not severe. Its worst in his back left leg, then its minor in his front right elbow. The other two have no signs. His spine is perfectly fine as well, she mentioned he had one area in the back where he had one fuse (?) there was no gap compared to the rest of his spine, but she said that was perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

One more thing, she said they would do laser on the 2 legs that he doesn't have arthritis on too, to be preventative.... does this sound right? You know I'll be doing research all weekend, but I'm feeling really confident with it. She also said we could go with him if they had enough goggles, but she said they tend to do better without us there. (Just like you said) So I may sit in for first one just to see - and then let him go alone for next ones. 10-15 mins top is what she said.

Yes. Banks started out with 10-15 mins then it worked up to the 35-45 min session as the years passed (I think we did them for 3 yrs) and our vet would have her other joints done at times as a preventative measure. There were times she would be in for a check up and he'd ask when is her next laser... and before I'd answer, he say -- 'you have time, right?' let's throw one in since you are here. (have I said how much I LOVE our vet). The laser has different settings and based on the need the settings are adjusted during the session.... when I sat in on the first few sessions, what they did was placed the settings and did each area for 1-2 mins... change the settings and start the area again... 1-2 mins... adjust... etc (you get it)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Lot of times in Finland vets prescribe human painkillers for arthritic dogs. They're usually cheaper and have less side effects. Meloxicam is one that is suited for dogs.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes. Banks started out with 10-15 mins then it worked up to the 35-45 min session as the years passed (I think we did them for 3 yrs) and our vet would have her other joints done at times as a preventative measure. There were times she would be in for a check up and he'd ask when is her next laser... and before I'd answer, he say -- 'you have time, right?' let's throw one in since you are here. (have I said how much I LOVE our vet). The laser has different settings and based on the need the settings are adjusted during the session.... when I sat in on the first few sessions, what they did was placed the settings and did each area for 1-2 mins... change the settings and start the area again... 1-2 mins... adjust... etc (you get it)

Yes, makes total sense. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Just makes me that much more comfortable with it! I love our vet too!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, makes total sense. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Just makes me that much more comfortable with it! I love our vet too!

I know you will, but feel the need to say it --- keep me posted and ask any questions you have.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh gosh absolutely NOT… I was giving them to Roxie, they go just barely under the skin (like insulin) Roxie never even moved.

Hey Tracey - do the injections go where the "problem areas" are or like just in the back of neck?

Members online

No members online now.