Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 25 to 33 of 33

Thread: Rimadyl for Arthritis

  1. #25
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6202

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    What great news --- love, love love good news from vet appointments! TyTy has a superb Momma!

    I can not say enough great things about laser therapy... Banks loved it (that may be an understatement since she could not talk ) and we totally noticed a difference in her movement and pain levels. And, yes, we did as you describe with Banks... memory is cloudy on exacts, but it was like 3 a week, then 2 a week, then once a week, once every two weeks and then once a month. We could also go in at any time for an extra session as we saw fit.... I highly recommend it.

    Banks' arthritis was sever .... our vet would always shake his head when he looked at her x-rays and say ' any other breed and she would not be able to walk' (pain tolerance plays a big role) that is why we did all the pain meds in addition to the laser, her spine was loaded with it.

    Edit --- also, you can be with him the whole time for the treatment too... it is not anything you have to be away from him for. I took Banks, but I always waited in the lobby for her cause she squirmed around when I was in the room... without me there, the techs told me she would lay on the floor and just relax/sleep -- they really enjoyed doing her sessions
    Awesome, thanks so much Christine. I wanted to hear it from you, and just make sure it sounded right. Tyson is not severe. Its worst in his back left leg, then its minor in his front right elbow. The other two have no signs. His spine is perfectly fine as well, she mentioned he had one area in the back where he had one fuse (?) there was no gap compared to the rest of his spine, but she said that was perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

    One more thing, she said they would do laser on the 2 legs that he doesn't have arthritis on too, to be preventative.... does this sound right? You know I'll be doing research all weekend, but I'm feeling really confident with it. She also said we could go with him if they had enough goggles, but she said they tend to do better without us there. (Just like you said) So I may sit in for first one just to see - and then let him go alone for next ones. 10-15 mins top is what she said.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  2. #26
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11518

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Awesome, thanks so much Christine. I wanted to hear it from you, and just make sure it sounded right. Tyson is not severe. Its worst in his back left leg, then its minor in his front right elbow. The other two have no signs. His spine is perfectly fine as well, she mentioned he had one area in the back where he had one fuse (?) there was no gap compared to the rest of his spine, but she said that was perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

    One more thing, she said they would do laser on the 2 legs that he doesn't have arthritis on too, to be preventative.... does this sound right? You know I'll be doing research all weekend, but I'm feeling really confident with it. She also said we could go with him if they had enough goggles, but she said they tend to do better without us there. (Just like you said) So I may sit in for first one just to see - and then let him go alone for next ones. 10-15 mins top is what she said.
    Yes. Banks started out with 10-15 mins then it worked up to the 35-45 min session as the years passed (I think we did them for 3 yrs) and our vet would have her other joints done at times as a preventative measure. There were times she would be in for a check up and he'd ask when is her next laser... and before I'd answer, he say -- 'you have time, right?' let's throw one in since you are here. (have I said how much I LOVE our vet). The laser has different settings and based on the need the settings are adjusted during the session.... when I sat in on the first few sessions, what they did was placed the settings and did each area for 1-2 mins... change the settings and start the area again... 1-2 mins... adjust... etc (you get it)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  4. #27
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Lot of times in Finland vets prescribe human painkillers for arthritic dogs. They're usually cheaper and have less side effects. Meloxicam is one that is suited for dogs.

  5. #28
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6202

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes. Banks started out with 10-15 mins then it worked up to the 35-45 min session as the years passed (I think we did them for 3 yrs) and our vet would have her other joints done at times as a preventative measure. There were times she would be in for a check up and he'd ask when is her next laser... and before I'd answer, he say -- 'you have time, right?' let's throw one in since you are here. (have I said how much I LOVE our vet). The laser has different settings and based on the need the settings are adjusted during the session.... when I sat in on the first few sessions, what they did was placed the settings and did each area for 1-2 mins... change the settings and start the area again... 1-2 mins... adjust... etc (you get it)

    Yes, makes total sense. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Just makes me that much more comfortable with it! I love our vet too!

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  6. #29
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11518

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Yes, makes total sense. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Just makes me that much more comfortable with it! I love our vet too!
    I know you will, but feel the need to say it --- keep me posted and ask any questions you have.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  8. #30
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6202

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Oh gosh absolutely NOT… I was giving them to Roxie, they go just barely under the skin (like insulin) Roxie never even moved.
    Hey Tracey - do the injections go where the "problem areas" are or like just in the back of neck?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  9. #31
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,729
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5587

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Hey Tracey - do the injections go where the "problem areas" are or like just in the back of neck?
    I gave her injections right between her shoulder blades… my vet showed me how to pull her skin up and it makes a little pocket so the shot went right in. She never felt a thing…

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  10. #32
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6202

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I gave her injections right between her shoulder blades… my vet showed me how to pull her skin up and it makes a little pocket so the shot went right in. She never felt a thing…
    So going in between the blades - it gets to the areas that need help? Hmm.. I was watching videos last night, and saw some did that, and others injected straight into the leg areas ... ok... guess I'll see what she does (He'll get his first rounds with his vet) Also I forgot you were on a vacay this weekend, sorry for buggin' ya

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  11. #33
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,729
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5587

    Default Re: Rimadyl for Arthritis

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    So going in between the blades - it gets to the areas that need help? Hmm.. I was watching videos last night, and saw some did that, and others injected straight into the leg areas ... ok... guess I'll see what she does (He'll get his first rounds with his vet) Also I forgot you were on a vacay this weekend, sorry for buggin' ya
    You pull the loose skin up and it creates a pocket… I would just stick the needle in the pocket. I will take a pic when I get back, but I'm sure your vet will show you what he wants you to do… Lol I'm running behind (as always) but please YOU are never a bother. You can always ask me anything about this, it's nerve wracking at first but I swear you will be able to do this w/your eyes closed soon!!!

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •