Help Needed! Is this the beginning of cherry eye?

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
The Duchess woke up this morning with a red, swollen eye. She seems fine otherwise. The top eyelid seems swollen (a bit droopy) and the third eyelid seems not to be retracting all the way. But it is fairly flat against her eye. It does seem to be watering.

Is this Cherry Eye? Or the beginning of it? Allergies? The whole area around the eye is slightly swollen but is not pink/red.

I gave her some benadryl to see if that helps. She is sleeping now. Anything else I can do? OTC eyedrops?

IMG_20150628_095821.jpg IMG_20150628_095724.jpg IMG_20150628_095643.jpg

Thanks for any help!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
It isn't cherry eye - cherry eye you would see a bulge (a gland) at the corner of the eye. I suspect allergies.

Benadryl is a good call. Not sure about eye drops - I would wait to see if Benadryl works before trying anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with Nu. Could be allergy, or something irritated that eye. Hope the benedryl helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It isn't cherry eye - cherry eye you would see a bulge (a gland) at the corner of the eye. I suspect allergies.

Benadryl is a good call. Not sure about eye drops - I would wait to see if Benadryl works before trying anything else.

agreed ^^^^ and yes, you can use human eye drops ..... [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] which one can be used again? I can not remember and my notes are at home ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sustaine is what I use, the pictures won't load on my phone but from the description I would get to the vet if it doesn't get better today.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with the others, this isn't cherry eye, it looks like a allergy or an irritation to the eye. If it is an allergy, Benadryl will help, and if it's an irritation eye drops will help with the symptoms. I use Refresh eye drops for my guys, but any over the counter eye drops that are for eye irritations would work, you can buy them at the drugstore.

This is is what cherry eye looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 213

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When Blue first got it, his looked like this.. it was very small.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Just massage it back in. That's what happen to Brett when he plays hard or itches his face. It pops out but just massage it back in

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I used Thera Tears for Monty as it is preservative free. It is a little more expensive but his vet recommended it.

OP
O

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Thanks, everyone. We have been on a diet and Benedryl and Soothe XP. It seems a bit better, but not perfect, but also not getting any worse. She is going to the kennel tomorrow as we leave for a long weekend. Will probably have the vet at the Kennel (next door) take a look while she is there. Sigh. It's always something.

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
My dog had a similar looking eye issue. I took her to the vet and it was an ulcerated cornea. He gave me antibacterial eye drops as an ulcerated cornea can get infected very easily. It cleared up within a week. In my opinion it probably is a good idea to get it checked by the vet just to be safe. An ulcerated cornea is very painful for them and the vet could prescribe some pain killers that will make him/her more comfortable while it's healing.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.