Diarrhea after switching from puppy food to adult food

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hello everyone. We recently switched my puppy's food from puppy food to all adult food. I think we may have done that too quickly, in about the course of three days, and now he has been having pretty bad diarrhea. We switched from Nutrisource hard puppy food to Nutrisource hard adult food. I am wondering if we should go back and start mixing more of the puppy food into the adult food, or if we should just keep giving him all adult food? Also, is there anything else we can do to help the little guy feel better? Maybe some yogurt or something? Thanks as always!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes too fast... But add some pumpkin to help firm up the poo

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If he's already transitioned to the adult just stay there, you can also give a couple meals of boiled hamburger and rice with his new food to help ease his tummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, agreed 3 days was too fast. When transitioning foods, it is best to do a slow transition over 2 weeks to avoid an upset tummy or diarrhea. This should take about 2 weeks, start with 2/3 of the old food mixed with 1/3 of the new food for about 3 days, then mix 1/2 of the old food with 1/2 of the new food for 3 days, then mix 1/3 of the old food with 2/3 of the new food for 3 days, and then finally all new food. Adding pure pumpkin, not the pie filling pumpkin will help firm up his poops.

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hello everyone. Thank you all so much for the help. Sorry for the late response, Poogan is doing great now! Thank you again, your advice is priceless

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.