Other Severe scratching, itching, and not getting much sleep :(

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] have you been able to control his scratching with food and supplements this entire time?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
@cali baker have you been able to control his scratching with food and supplements this entire time?

I would say to a certain extent. Through the years he would scratch here and there, I'd switch his food or add CO, or try a supplement, or a new shampoo, then itching stopped for awhile. When it would come back, I'd try something new again.

He licks his paws quite a bit and I wasn't always sure if it was more stress/emotional or something actually going on with his skin. This time though, he's just been extra itchy and scratching significantly more than usual, plus he was getting those white spots. I mentioned he had a recent food change in the last 3weeks and the itching got worse in the past 10-14 days; coincidence or related, not sure...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Ehh, I dont know so much about that. If you started using something new then yes. But otherwise, I know they tend to not show symptoms out in public or at the vet as they do in their own home.
That is why asked if something new was introduced to the home environment. He scratches at home but not at the vets.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@rjisaterp, no, i cannot think of anything new in the environment. He loves laying on the grass and getting into dirt, but that's nothing new for him. No new detergent or housecleaning stuff either.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If you can control it through food and supplements that's wonderful.
Maybe it is the food change. If it started within a few days of the change, I would say that's what it likely is.. can you go back to the other food?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@rjisaterp, no, i cannot think of anything new in the environment. He loves laying on the grass and getting into dirt, but that's nothing new for him. No new detergent or housecleaning stuff either.
Just a thought. It probably your great cooking. Better quit going Julia Child's on Finn.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If you can control it through food and supplements that's wonderful.
Maybe it is the food change. If it started within a few days of the change, I would say that's what it likely is.. can you go back to the other food?

well, the reason why i switched to this latest was b/c Finn was still itching but not as bad as he is now(!) That was Merrick Beef which he was on for about 3 months, and I switched to Merrick limited ingredient salmon. I just got a new food in the mail today: Earthborn Holistic Limited Ingredient Lamb. I am currently home cooking for them right now though and will transition to the Earthborn soon.
I feel like i'm playing a game of food hopscotch! :stars:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
he was but i ran out over a month ago. I was thinking today that i need to order more. Harvey takes Nuvet doesn't he? does he ever get the itchies?

Nuvet is an immune system builder so you may want to get him back on asap, whenever I run out I can tell in a week, they just don't "glow" anymore. Especially it has a natural antihistamine in it which probably helps him a lot with his allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
well, the reason why i switched to this latest was b/c Finn was still itching but not as bad as he is now(!) That was Merrick Beef which he was on for about 3 months, and I switched to Merrick limited ingredient salmon. I just got a new food in the mail today: Earthborn Holistic Limited Ingredient Lamb. I am currently home cooking for them right now though and will transition to the Earthborn soon.

Lamb is great for my crew but it's usually considered a "hot" protein, which means many pets are allergic to it.

Hope it works! Paws crossed!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I Pray his itching will be cured. NuVet has a automatic refill that you can schedule when you want it delivered to you, I have it delivered every 3 months, I get two bottles at a time, this is really great for Bulldogs, and all dogs. This may stop his scratching, also I feed Elmo Fromm dry dog food, I order different taste for him every now and then, He also get 1 tablespoon of Canidae canned food, chicken and rice. His skin is Great and he does not scratch himself. I hope this helps you with Precious Finn. Also Elmo gets Salmon oil and yogurt every morning before I feed him his breakfast. Love To Finn, kisses and more kisses.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lamb is great for my crew but it's usually considered a "hot" protein, which means many pets are allergic to it.

Hope it works! Paws crossed!

Yea -- the Lamb/Lentil kicked Banks' butt... runny eyes, tear stains and paw licking. I took he off it after three weeks and she was fine within a few days

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yea -- the Lamb/Lentil kicked Banks' butt... runny eyes, tear stains and paw licking. I took he off it after three weeks and she was fine within a few days

Same w/Wally… we are not doing the Lamb anymore either.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Good luck. I know the food game is very difficult. I remember getting migraines while trying to figure out what worked and what didn't for Blue.:bang:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.