Other Severe scratching, itching, and not getting much sleep :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang -- a nice soothing bath and see if it helps. don't change food just yet

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] please let us know what the vet says, it's amazing how as soon as Spring sprung how many bullies allergies went into high gear :( I do hope that Finn can find some relief.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
@cali baker please let us know what the vet says, it's amazing how as soon as Spring sprung how many bullies allergies went into high gear :( I do hope that Finn can find some relief.

thanks Phil! the skin scrape did not show mites/mange so that's a relief. He's on a short course of prednisone and cephalexin for the wounds and will get a recheck in a couple wks. The vet says if his itching still persists she's considering Apoquel for him. Funny how when he's at the vet's office he doesn't scratch himself and acts very quiet and subdued. Take him home and he's scratching himself like a little itchy-monster! I'm going to give that oatmeal shampoo a try too when it comes in later this week :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Sorry to hear about the Finn-meister. I hope the vet has a solution for all the itching. Sounds like a reaction to something.

Maybe it is all of that rich coooking [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] that you do.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry to hear about the Finn-meister. I hope the vet has a solution for all the itching. Sounds like a reaction to something.

Maybe it is all of that rich coooking @cali baker that you do.

Haha, could be Roger! I did just cook a batch of ground beef and liver for them last night. Interestingly, Finn weighed in at 52 lbs today and he's normally 57 lbs. I really haven't been doing too much home cooking as I did before and now I'm wondering if the Merrick limited ingredient which they started on just a couple wks ago has anything to do with all this. There are really too many factors and one can go batty trying to figure it out. :blink:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
thanks Phil! the skin scrape did not show mites/mange so that's a relief. He's on a short course of prednisone and cephalexin for the wounds and will get a recheck in a couple wks. The vet says if his itching still persists she's considering Apoquel for him. Funny how when he's at the vet's office he doesn't scratch himself and acts very quiet and subdued. Take him home and he's scratching himself like a little itchy-monster! I'm going to give that oatmeal shampoo a try too when it comes in later this week :)

I'm glad he doesn't have mange or mites! I bet it is some dry skin that got worse from him itching it! Poor guy, and they will never show any signs of anything at the vet. I remember that's one of the reasons they never listened to me when Tyson was sick. I would tell them he was lethargic, but then at the vets office he was full of energy. Little turd. I hope he gets to feeling better soon!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well if the Finn man is fine at the vets and he is only scratching at home...you change cleaning products. Sounds like something in the immediate environment.
I'm glad he doesn't have mange or mites! I bet it is some dry skin that got worse from him itching it! Poor guy, and they will never show any signs of anything at the vet. I remember that's one of the reasons they never listened to me when Tyson was sick. I would tell them he was lethargic, but then at the vets office he was full of energy. Little turd. I hope he gets to feeling better soon!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes good to hear no mange and no mites. I think you might be on to something about the Merricks, seems odd it all started right after the big switch.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well if the Finn man is fine at the vets and he is only scratching at home...you change cleaning products. Sounds like something in the immediate environment.

Ehh, I dont know so much about that. If you started using something new then yes. But otherwise, I know they tend to not show symptoms out in public or at the vet as they do in their own home.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've have read that most skin problems can be caused by poorly functioning colon, actually colon health is also very important with us humans. This guy in Finland has his own line of raw foor that is fermented. It's just great and most dogs love it, mine too. He did start a study with the university here, but as you know that the progress in that world is very slow, so he's done his own and had great results with different kind of skin issues. I know that you can't get this food in the states, but you can get the main ingredient which is sauerkraut. The fresh kind, not canned, heated or any other way processed. Worth a try???

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Finn… do you really think it's the food?!! Do you give him a probiotic?!! I started back giving Wally the coconut oil because of the massive shedding… making me crazy!!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for reminding me about the fermented food, particularly sauerkraut, @RiiSi. I would like to try that on Finn.

@ddnene, no, not really sure it's the food. Finn has almost always had some sort of skin issue with itchiness but this time he just kept scratching so relentlessly! His scratching has woken me up for a few nights in a row this week, plus he's not getting much rest, and i really hate seeing him so uncomfortable :(

So if it's not him peeing in bed, it's him scratching himself so hard that the entire bed shakes! now with the prednisone on board causing him to drink and pee more, he'll be wearing his diaper tonight, otherwise he'll have an accident and then I'm going to admit myself into the loony bin again. :loco2:

oops, forgot to answer the probiotic question--i only give him yogurt but no other probiotic. This may be something i need to investigate further tho.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online