cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
For the past several days and nights Finn has been very itchy and the intensity has gotten worse, especially during the middle of the night where he will wake us all up with his scratching. His neck/chin was bleeding a little from all the scratching. Looking at his body, he's got several little white spots/patches and also what looks like a raw wound on his butt area. I was reading through other threads about mange and am suspecting he may have this. So, off to the vet we'll go today to get a proper diagnosis.

I am at my wit's end with Finn and his skin issues. I try home cooking, i've tried so many different foods (will be getting Earthborn holistic next); I know that mange can arise from a poor immune system or some sort of stressor so I will be researching ways to boost his immunity. His skin also feels rather dry so maybe it's simply dry skin?? He also gets into everything in the yard especially when he plays with his varsity ball so maybe all that dirt and grass is contributing(??)...too much to think about!

He's otherwise playing normally, eating like a fiend, and being his same naughty self.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It could be dry skin. Have you tried a soothing bath? Maybe that's all he needs.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh Finn! I surely hope they find what's bugging him. Could be dry skin, and him itching it makes it worse. Tyson does that from time to time, it will get really red & irritated. Vetericyn or Neosporin usually clears it up in a few days. Have you tried a medicated shampoo? Keep us posted on what the vet says!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It could be dry skin. Have you tried a soothing bath? Maybe that's all he needs.

no, i haven't...can u tell me what this consists of? is there a special soap/shampoo? i bathed him with Trizchlor shampoo (has chlorhexidine), but didn't seem to help w/the itch.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh Finn! I surely hope they find what's bugging him. Could be dry skin, and him itching it makes it worse. Tyson does that from time to time, it will get really red & irritated. Vetericyn or Neosporin usually clears it up in a few days. Have you tried a medicated shampoo? Keep us posted on what the vet says!

thanku, I will. I hate taking him to the vet's if the solution is a simple one but at the same time, if i don't and his skin gets worse then...:w00t:!!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The trizchlor (which I love) is drying, used more for yeast/bacteria.

Do you see any flakes on him? looks a bit like dandruff.

There's a ton of soothing/moisturizing shampoos out there, but I don't know of any off hand since our baths always use either Trizchlor or Douxo (because of their allergy issues).

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The trizchlor (which I love) is drying, used more for yeast/bacteria.

Do you see any flakes on him? looks a bit like dandruff.

There's a ton of soothing/moisturizing shampoos out there, but I don't know of any off hand since our baths always use either Trizchlor or Douxo (because of their allergy issues).

Ah, go with this one Ellie suggests - it has hydrocortisone in it!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
No, no.. I didn't suggest anything..lol
I was thinking he's dry so to stay away from the drying shampoos like Trizchlor..

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yup, you're right [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION], that shampoo is drying and I will avoid that one for now.

thanku [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] for the shampoo suggestion. I've also been reading about homemade oatmeal baths but of course, i don't have any oatmeal at home.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't think I was clear (sorry, doing 10 things at once).

What I meant was, I would stay away from any shampoo that had anti-fungal properties (like Trizchlor) because they're too drying. So if that's the problem, those types
of shampoos would make it worse.

You can always just use a mal-a-ket or Douxo wipes on his chin (like a spot treatment) but I wouldn't use it on the rest of his body right now. I think it would be too irritating if the problem is dryness.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], I would try something natural with oatmeal in it. My kids had bad ezema when they were babies and I could only use aveeno oatmeal bath on them. Maybe you could try a soak with this?? It was wonderful for my kids and now I still only use shampoo (for the dogs) with oatmeal in it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I don't think I was clear (sorry, doing 10 things at once).

What I meant was, I would stay away from any shampoo that had anti-fungal properties (like Trizchlor) because they're too drying. So if that's the problem, those types
of shampoos would make it worse.

Whoops! Haha. Okay Henny, sorry. I saw the

You can always just use a mal-a-ket or Douxo wipes on his chin (like a spot treatment) but I wouldn't use it on the rest of his body right now. I think it would be too irritating if the problem is dryness.

Whoops! Haha. Okay Henny, sorry - getting all kinds of confused :) Oatmeal baths are very soothing though! Yes, we've done homemade too... but the Aveeno packets are so much easier, hee hee. Or the shampoo of course :) It doesnt make him all red or anything and leaves him so soft.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Whoops! Haha. Okay Henny, sorry - getting all kinds of confused :) Oatmeal baths are very soothing though! Yes, we've done homemade too... but the Aveeno packets are so much easier, hee hee. Or the shampoo of course :) It doesnt make him all red or anything and leaves him so soft.

LOL, thanks for everyone's input. I went ahead and bought the shampoo that Jessica suggested. It got good reviews on Amazon. I had those Aveeno packets for myself but ran out. We'll see what the vet says today and i hope it's nothing more complicated than dry skin.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.