URGENT!!! face swollen!! help figure out what it is!! please

NataliaB

Jun 23, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
charlie
I went outside to feed Charlie tonight and noticed her face was SO swollen! if anyone can help figure out what it may be please help
I asked a friend and they said to just get her Benadryl every 8 hours until i can take her to the vet but I want to make sure she isn't in too much pain/danger

IMG_6959-1.JPG

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi [MENTION=14396]NataliaB[/MENTION], I'm sorry I don't have any experience but I'll tag a couple of ppl that might know. I'm not sure if they are awake now since they're in America:( Isn't there an emergency vet you can call and ask? How's her breathing?

I know many ppl here give Benadryl for allergic reactions but I don't know the dosage, we don't have Benadryl where I live.

Please keep us posted.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would definitely get her to a vet right away so she can get a steroid shot. Do you have an emergency vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How is her breathing? Is she panting or does she seem be bothered by the swelling? If so I would also take her to the vet right away.
My guys have had this come just out of the blue and the first time I really freaked out. But since they themselves never seemed bothered and they were breathing well I just gave them some allergy meds, like Benadryl. I don't know what is the right dosage of Benadryl, since we don't have it here. The cause of the insidents were never found out, but right now we have millions of mosquitos and my guys are so bitten and sometimes even their eyes are drooping from the stings.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I went outside to feed Charlie tonight and noticed her face was SO swollen! if anyone can help figure out what it may be please help
I asked a friend and they said to just get her Benadryl every 8 hours until i can take her to the vet but I want to make sure she isn't in too much pain/danger

View attachment 88269

Hi Natalia - sorry for late reply. Did you get Charlie to a vet? I would have given benadryl (1mg per lb), then been on my way to an ER vet. Please let us know how she is doing today?? Also, you said you went outside? Do you keep her outside? Poor baby.... please let us know how she is.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My guess is that she was bitten or stung. I would go to the emergency vet. They will probably give her a steroid shot and an antihistamine shot. The Benadryl would be a good stop-gap measure until you get to the vet. I have had this happen many times through the years with both boxers and bulldogs. Once, one of my bullies started to have trouble breathing on the way to the vet--it was really scary. That's why I take mine to the vet right away. Keep us posted!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 88269

How is Charlie doing? I agree, it looks like a spider or some type of bite reaction.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

View attachment 88269

Anytime there's swelling on the face, there's the very real danger of his throat swelling and restricting oxygen. I hope you took him to the vet because it sounds like an allergic reaction. Since you said he was outside, I'm guessing it was a bite?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my bullies is allergic to stings. She chases flying bugs,and got stung by a wasp on the lip. Luckily I had prednisone on hand. She was covered in hives everywhere,
and her face swelled up like a balloon. I gave her a prednisone and two benedryl, and luckily she didn't wind up with breathing problem. She got better,and now I always have prednisone on hand in case she does "the stupids" again'! If there were breathing problems,she would have gone to a vet. Trouble is there are no emergency vets around here
after hours-you've pretty much got to be your own! I hope your Charlie is okay. Please let us know.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.