Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thanks, Tasha [MENTION=14079]betterxthanxnew[/MENTION], for that explanation--I get it now. Well, this is much better than an ACL injury. Although this rest period will be hard on you and Effie, the good thing is that in 4 weeks she should be healed and back to her playful self. She'll only be 6 1/2 months old, plenty of puppy time left to play and be silly, and she will instantly forget about her boring rest!

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
I'm sorry to hear that. For the future if it would come down to surgery or you just simply need rehabilitation, I recently bought an IDC multifunctional vest by julius k9. One of the functions is rehabilitation. As a swimming vest it’s practical help for hydro- therapy – with reducing or increasing the number of the floating pads you can change the level of excercises. With a strong handle and a ring for the leash it’s easy to control or hold your dog. Maybe once It is actually highly recommended for those dog breeds (English and French Bulldogs) which are more challenged in swimming due to their physical abilities. Also when (or if you) are going up on stares, you can grab your dog by the handle to decrease pressure on their spinal cord and sensitive joints. I would definitely give a shot for this vest. Even if you decided it is not the product that would help you, you will have a neoprene jacket, which will protect your dog from the rain, wind and cold. Hoping the best for you!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Well, we went to our normal vet and she also suspected an ACL tear, but she said it may just be partial. Friday morning we went to the Ortho Vet and she did x rays and told us that it's not an ACL tear at all. She said there is no drawer sign. She told us that because ACL injury is so common a lot of general vets tend to automatically jump to that conclusion. The xrays showed no fluid on her knee either which confirmed it's not an ACL tear. The xrays show what looks like a chip on her growth plate. They sedated her and put on a splint. The vet is recommending 4 weeks if cage rest. So that's what we're doing right now. She said there is a surgery available for this. But because of Effie's age and the small size of the chip she doesn't want to jump to surgery. She prefers to try conservative management first. Effie looks absolutely pitiful in her splint and she's having a very difficult time walking with it on. It breaks my heart. She can't stand the cage rest either. She's just crying and crying as I type this. When she's calm I let her lay on the couch with me. But when she's trying to be active I have to use her crate. She normally does really well in her crate but she can't stand to be in there when we are home. We've been given Xanax and a mild tranquilizer med. But nothing seems to settle her down :( she's just a puppy after all.
I am very relieved it's not an ACL tear. But I am concerned about the growth plate chip :( I really hope that this works for her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good news but at the same time I feel sorry that Effie feels restricted to do her normal routine. It will be a long four weeks. Hang in there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION], the discharge instructions she gave me state it's a "salter harris growth plate fracture II" It also says that "the fracture is not currently displaced, but does involve the growth plate and bone, with a chip fracture."
From what I've read online the salter harris type II is a growth plate in the knee. The way the doctor made it sound is that with the splint and proper cage rest it should heal itself properly. They will redo the xrays at 4 weeks and check progress. There's a surgery that can be done involving placing a pin, but she's hoping we can avoid that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I so hope this all works out and surgery is avoided! Paws crossed and positive thoughts

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@betterxthanxnew Dear Effie, heal.jpg

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Love to Effie. Prayers and Positive Thoughts are coming your way Sweet Heart. Kisses and More Kisses To You Effie.

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Thanks everyone :) All of the support means so much :) She's doing alright for the most part. I have to say though...keeping my pupper so sedated breaks my heart & makes me feel like a horrible person. The vet did say that it is essential for us to keep her calm in order for her to heal. Lord, I hope this works and that it isn't all for nothing. I've looked her injury up online and it seems like surgery is the most frequent course of action. I think it involves placing a pin. But, the vet really seems convinced that based on the size of the fracture & and her age, that if we can keep her calm we've got a good chance of avoiding surgery. She goes in for her 1st bandage change tomorrow (this has to be done weekly). Her x-rays will be redone at the 4 week mark and I'll be sure to let you all know how she's doing :)
Thanks again for all the well wishes! I'm passing lots of puppy kisses on to Miss Effie Mae :)

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
I'm so glad your sweet baby has no ACL and won't need this surgery:whew::2thumbs:
And I'm sorry little Effie hurt her tibia and has to stay calm for four weeks.
I totally undestand this is very difficult for all of you. I so much hope you
all will be succesful with this task and Effie won't need surgery therefore as well:hug:

You can try to occupy her with little 'head-work'-challenges (just make shure to confirm
her only when she stays/sits calm while working together) like for example: take a treat in
one closed hand (show this the first times to her; when she gets practised you can start
to make it a little more difficult by not showing in which hand you hide it) and present both
fists to her; now she has to touch the right hand with her paw to get the treat.
'Head-work' and 'sniffing-work' are challanges for concentration and tire dogs out in a way
compareable to long walks or running games - a satisfactorying way.
Just be careful she doesn't get too excited and stays physically calm and not to make
the challenges too difficult so she has senses of achievements:yes:

I'm sending positive thoughts and hugs for sweet Effie Mae:heart: and I hope you can avoid
surgery - - good luck:hug:

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
[MENTION=14275]mybrindlegirl[/MENTION], thanks for the advice! That actually sounds like a fun game to play with her. It's so hard not being able to play around the way we normally would (I know she misses her Frisbee) :moping:

She had her first bandage change today. The doctor said she's looking good, though there really isn't any way to check progress until they redo her x-rays at week 4. The doctor said to just keep doing what we're doing. Giving her the meds has gotten a little easier because I realize she has to have them to stay calm. The sight of her trying to run or jump right now scares the pants off of me! Our new neighbor was outside with her dog this morning when I took Effie out to use the bathroom, and Effie was just DYING to go play with it. I can not wait for all of this to be over- but I have a feeling I will forever be worried about her overdoing it from now on!! :fie:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@mybrindlegirl, thanks for the advice! That actually sounds like a fun game to play with her. It's so hard not being able to play around the way we normally would (I know she misses her Frisbee) :moping:

She had her first bandage change today. The doctor said she's looking good, though there really isn't any way to check progress until they redo her x-rays at week 4. The doctor said to just keep doing what we're doing. Giving her the meds has gotten a little easier because I realize she has to have them to stay calm. The sight of her trying to run or jump right now scares the pants off of me! Our new neighbor was outside with her dog this morning when I took Effie out to use the bathroom, and Effie was just DYING to go play with it. I can not wait for all of this to be over- but I have a feeling I will forever be worried about her overdoing it from now on!! :fie:

you will worry a lot after, but it slowly breaks down and you'll cringe at times, but you'll both be OK

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.