Country
    Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Püppy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suspected ACL Injury

How is sweet little Effie?
    I'm so sorry she did have her jumping-accident and got injured
    I never heard of a baby of such young age having ACL so I still hope somehow with all my heart that it is something different (like a pulled muscle)...
    Sending your sweet baby much love and many positive thoughts

2. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@betterxthanxnew How is little Effie doing? Checking in to see how she is feeling.......
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

Well, we went to our normal vet and she also suspected an ACL tear, but she said it may just be partial. Friday morning we went to the Ortho Vet and she did x rays and told us that it's not an ACL tear at all. She said there is no drawer sign. She told us that because ACL injury is so common a lot of general vets tend to automatically jump to that conclusion. The xrays showed no fluid on her knee either which confirmed it's not an ACL tear. The xrays show what looks like a chip on her growth plate. They sedated her and put on a splint. The vet is recommending 4 weeks if cage rest. So that's what we're doing right now. She said there is a surgery available for this. But because of Effie's age and the small size of the chip she doesn't want to jump to surgery. She prefers to try conservative management first. Effie looks absolutely pitiful in her splint and she's having a very difficult time walking with it on. It breaks my heart. She can't stand the cage rest either. She's just crying and crying as I type this. When she's calm I let her lay on the couch with me. But when she's trying to be active I have to use her crate. She normally does really well in her crate but she can't stand to be in there when we are home. We've been given Xanax and a mild tranquilizer med. But nothing seems to settle her down she's just a puppy after all.
    I am very relieved it's not an ACL tear. But I am concerned about the growth plate chip I really hope that this works for her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thats really really good to hear it isn't an ACL tear!! Hopefully you can keep her a little calm so she can heal. Im so happy for you!

7. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad it isn't her ACL, Tasha! But I'm disappointed that it's serious enough that she's supposed to rest for 4 weeks in the crate. That totally sucks--poor Effie and poor you! I'm not sure I understand what a "chip in the growth plate" is. Does that mean a little piece of the bone chipped off or what? And will it repair itself, hopefully, with the splint and rest? Where is the growth plate? Sorry for so many questions--just trying to picture in my mind...
    Maybe she will get more used to being in the crate while you are home. I'm sending positive thoughts your way and hope this does the trick for sweet Effie!

9. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

@Donnam, the discharge instructions she gave me state it's a "salter harris growth plate fracture II" It also says that "the fracture is not currently displaced, but does involve the growth plate and bone, with a chip fracture."
    From what I've read online the salter harris type II is a growth plate in the knee. The way the doctor made it sound is that with the splint and proper cage rest it should heal itself properly. They will redo the xrays at 4 weeks and check progress. There's a surgery that can be done involving placing a pin, but she's hoping we can avoid that.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, Tasha @betterxthanxnew, for that explanation--I get it now. Well, this is much better than an ACL injury. Although this rest period will be hard on you and Effie, the good thing is that in 4 weeks she should be healed and back to her playful self. She'll only be 6 1/2 months old, plenty of puppy time left to play and be silly, and she will instantly forget about her boring rest!

12. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Julius-K9 Sales Representative
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Noah Jack
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry to hear that. For the future if it would come down to surgery or you just simply need rehabilitation, I recently bought an IDC multifunctional vest by julius k9. One of the functions is rehabilitation. As a swimming vest it’s practical help for hydro- therapy – with reducing or increasing the number of the floating pads you can change the level of excercises. With a strong handle and a ring for the leash it’s easy to control or hold your dog. Maybe once It is actually highly recommended for those dog breeds (English and French Bulldogs) which are more challenged in swimming due to their physical abilities. Also when (or if you) are going up on stares, you can grab your dog by the handle to decrease pressure on their spinal cord and sensitive joints. I would definitely give a shot for this vest. Even if you decided it is not the product that would help you, you will have a neoprene jacket, which will protect your dog from the rain, wind and cold. Hoping the best for you!

14. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by betterxthanxnew View Post
    Well, we went to our normal vet and she also suspected an ACL tear, but she said it may just be partial. Friday morning we went to the Ortho Vet and she did x rays and told us that it's not an ACL tear at all. She said there is no drawer sign. She told us that because ACL injury is so common a lot of general vets tend to automatically jump to that conclusion. The xrays showed no fluid on her knee either which confirmed it's not an ACL tear. The xrays show what looks like a chip on her growth plate. They sedated her and put on a splint. The vet is recommending 4 weeks if cage rest. So that's what we're doing right now. She said there is a surgery available for this. But because of Effie's age and the small size of the chip she doesn't want to jump to surgery. She prefers to try conservative management first. Effie looks absolutely pitiful in her splint and she's having a very difficult time walking with it on. It breaks my heart. She can't stand the cage rest either. She's just crying and crying as I type this. When she's calm I let her lay on the couch with me. But when she's trying to be active I have to use her crate. She normally does really well in her crate but she can't stand to be in there when we are home. We've been given Xanax and a mild tranquilizer med. But nothing seems to settle her down she's just a puppy after all.
    I am very relieved it's not an ACL tear. But I am concerned about the growth plate chip I really hope that this works for her.

Good news but at the same time I feel sorry that Effie feels restricted to do her normal routine. It will be a long four weeks. Hang in there.
    Hug your bully today

16. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by betterxthanxnew View Post
    @Donnam, the discharge instructions she gave me state it's a "salter harris growth plate fracture II" It also says that "the fracture is not currently displaced, but does involve the growth plate and bone, with a chip fracture."
    From what I've read online the salter harris type II is a growth plate in the knee. The way the doctor made it sound is that with the splint and proper cage rest it should heal itself properly. They will redo the xrays at 4 weeks and check progress. There's a surgery that can be done involving placing a pin, but she's hoping we can avoid that.

I so hope this all works out and surgery is avoided! Paws crossed and positive thoughts
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

18. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@betterxthanxnew Dear Effie, -heal-jpg
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

20. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Love to Effie. Prayers and Positive Thoughts are coming your way Sweet Heart. Kisses and More Kisses To You Effie.

22. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads