Help Needed! My Bully has developed a cherry eye :(

jenzuhg

Jun 21, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Hello! new to the board so forgive me if this has been posted, asked and answered before.

My bully, Ramsay, has developed a cherry in his right eye. It comes and goes, but it mostly makes its appearance when he is rowdy. He is roughly 50lbs and was told benadryl could help with the irritation. I dont know what the proper dosage would be or if its even worth the try... any suggestions???

Also, if you've had your dog operated on due to a cherry eye, how much were you looking at $$$ wise for vet bills?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
For a 50lb bully, two benearly would be the correct dosage but I like to start lower and add if I have to, so I would give one and see how it goes. Cherry eye does pop when they are rowdy. My Brutus had cherry in both eyes. We tried to tuck the lining first but it failed in one eye so we had the lining thinned in the one eye. I would discuss the type of surgery your vet wants to do and go over costs then. Brutus had eyes done about 2yrs ago and if I remember correctly it was about $1500 for both surgeries and mess after.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Our boy has had 3 eye surgeries and then developed cherry eye in his right eye but we've been able to massage it back in and it hasn't happened in a few months ( knock on wood). We put artificial tears in his eye twice a day to help. For his entropian surgery it was like 350 ish for both times and 385 for one with the optomologist.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The cost is going to depend on where you are and who does the surgery. I've heard of it running as low as 500 to as high as 1,500 above. It's all over the board.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Hello! new to the board so forgive me if this has been posted, asked and answered before.

My bully, Ramsay, has developed a cherry in his right eye. It comes and goes, but it mostly makes its appearance when he is rowdy. He is roughly 50lbs and was told benadryl could help with the irritation. I dont know what the proper dosage would be or if its even worth the try... any suggestions???

Also, if you've had your dog operated on due to a cherry eye, how much were you looking at $$$ wise for vet bills?

Brett has one on his left eye. And that cost me $150 here in Southern Cali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: Puppy Cherry Eye[/h]
Hi, my female Blossom developed cherry eye at the age of 5 months, first in the right eye, which we were able to massage back in for a short while, but it didn't stay in, especially after playing or exercise. We were going to the vet for vaccinations and puppy exams at the time, so we showed her the eye, and discussed options for surgery. We waited until she was 7 months old, when we had her spayed, to avoid having to put her under anesthetic twice, and also because she was so young. Unfortunately her left eye developed cherry eye a week after her surgery, so we had to do another surgery a month later to repair that eye. It was actually more expensive to do the second surgery on one eye, than it was for the spay and eye surgerytogether. This is because she as already under for her spay surgery, so the eye surgery is considered a secondary surgery. With the second surgery she had to be put under anesthetic again, IV fluids, and medications, all of which you have to pay for again. We discussed options for surgery, tacking the gland in versus removing the gland. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, and she has 24 years of surgery experience, and has a technique that she has developed on her own that she has a lot of success and low recurrence of the cherry eye. She said it can come back sometimes and require another surgery, but she has great success with her technique. Blossoms eyes were done 15 months ago, and they are perfect, and you would never know she had anything done to them. We are very happy with the results. Some people opt to have the gland removed, and have good results as well, but sometimes it can cause a dry eye which requires using eye drops for life after surgery. It really is an individual decision that you have to do your homework on, ask lots of questions from your vet, other people who have experience with this, and make a decision based on what you and your vet decide is best, and what you feel comfortable with. You can continue trying to massage it in, and maybe they'll outgrow it, but they usually don't, but they are too young for surgery, so it wouldn't hurt to try while you're waiting until they're older. I would continue with the eye drops to avoid them getting a dry eye, and because the longer the gland is exposed to the air, the more it will dry out, keeping it moist will be better for the eye tissue, and help to avoid irritation and infection until surgery can be done. That's what I did with Blossom for two months, I used Refresh eye drops from the pharmacy, most products that are safe for humans are also safe for dogs, and they are less expensive to buy from a drugstore than from the vets office. Good luck, I hope this helps.​

LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT :poo: AND MOVE ON.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.