Bully puppy hair loss on back

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
Help! My 5 month old pup started losing fur in small circles on his back. Eventually,as u can see, it's turned to full patches. Not more itching than normal really. Tested negative for mange. Other than fur loss skin seems fine - no redness or rash. Has anyone seen this before??? image.jpgimage.jpg

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Is there any flaky skin around the circles?
Lilly gets few once in a while (seasonal ) bath in medicated shampoo helps
Did your pup is regularly wormed?
It be best to bring him to the vet for closer inspection
As it could be small bacterial skin infection , seasonal allergy , food allergy or ringworm

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Help! My 5 month old pup started losing fur in small circles on his back. Eventually,as u can see, it's turned to full patches. Not more itching than normal really. Tested negative for mange. Other than fur loss skin seems fine - no redness or rash. Has anyone seen this before???View attachment 88208View attachment 88209

Only on his back? did you vet check for ringworm or staph infection?

OP
K

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
Yea only on his back. Did fungal culture which would cover ringworm. Not sure about staph yho

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yea only on his back. Did fungal culture which would cover ringworm. Not sure about staph yho

Can you get a closer picture of the skin (not too close, just better to see the color/texture) also, how old is he and what are you feeding (brand and protein)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have seen th is before in another friend of mine with a male bulldog. It was a food allergy and the poor thing lost his hair all over his back; I mean full stretches of no hair. The owner switched his food and he had a reaction to it in this same manner. It was crazy; the hair eventually grew back once she put him back on his other food but I had never seen anything like it before. Some type of vitamin deficiency he wasn't getting from the new food. Good luck.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Curly gets this from fleas and allergies. I started adding 1 fish oil pill a day to his diet and it helped out tremendously. We only see the missing patches if we don't give him pills for a week (blame my husband on that one since he forgets when I'm away on business).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimmieq

Feb 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fletcher
My white bully looks similar. He's on Fromm food since it was recommended on here.. Usually the salmon variety. I thought it was demodex creeping back but it's not scabby or anything. He seems to have grass allergy as well. Pollen is high here in OK. Any update on this dog? Suggestions?

Kimmieq

Feb 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fletcher
a8edf58308c19482a57ab6b5493bf9f8.jpg
. His hair has thinned a lot. Lots of shedding.

OP
K

Kshingle

Jun 20, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce Wayne
a8edf58308c19482a57ab6b5493bf9f8.jpg
. His hair has thinned a lot. Lots of shedding.

Yep looks the same! His hair came back slowly but surely but now is starting to go through same thing again. Went to doggy dermatologist who confirmed it was allergies.

- - - Updated - - -

Just do lots of good brushings !

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.