Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
IMG_5604.JPGIMG_5605.JPG

Hi all,
A few days ago I noticed some small red sores on my 15 month old bulldog. They are located on the insides of her legs and on her sides just a few inches below her arm pits. The next morning they were much worse. Very red and hard and swollen. No bleeding or oozing as far as I've seen though. I took her right to the vet and he said they could be allergies or bug bites or possibly histiocytosis. He suggested I pick up a hydrocortisone cream and use that on them and if they aren't improving within a few weeks we might consider doing a biopsy.
I did some research on histiocytosis and it looks very scary.
Right now I am hoping it is allergy related. The vet says they are probably not bug bites as they are pretty symmetrical. He also ruled out fleas and ticks.
She has been on Fromm's since I got her about 4 months ago. She was on the beef frittata and there were no problems. I switched her to pork and peas two weeks ago just for some variety for her so I'm wondering if she has an allergy to something in that particular food. I'm going to switch her back to the beef frittata tomorrow and see if they start clearing up.
I also worry that it is seasonal as she spends a lot of time in the backyard during the day and summer is just now really getting going.
Since yesterday morning they haven't worsened but I did find a few new ones starting to form, most right beside the current sores, one new one on her chest where she didn't have any sores before.

I'm attaching some photos of the worst ones. Does anyone recognize this? Is it allergy related? Has anyone experienced histiocytosis before? Is this what it looks like?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! I'm a very worried dog mommy right now!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh geez, I don't know what those could be but they sure do not look comfortable. Is Ollie scratching at the sores? I know Finn gets a lot of bug bites--his skin gets these hard bumps too but they do not look red like these bumps. I hope the hydrocortisone will help but i think I'd wait maybe a week and if there's no improvement I would ask for an oral antibiotic. You can also apply some diluted betadine onto the bumps and see if this helps. Please keep us posted!

OP
WhitneyBlanche

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Oh geez, I don't know what those could be but they sure do not look comfortable. Is Ollie scratching at the sores? I know Finn gets a lot of bug bites--his skin gets these hard bumps too but they do not look red like these bumps. I hope the hydrocortisone will help but i think I'd wait maybe a week and if there's no improvement I would ask for an oral antibiotic. You can also apply some diluted betadine onto the bumps and see if this helps. Please keep us posted!

She doesn't seem concerned with them at all. Even after I've rubbed cream into them she doesn't seem to notice them. They are in a position where they would be difficult to reach though so perhaps she has learned she can't reach them so she just doesn't try. I couldn't imagine they aren't bothering her somewhat. They look painful.
I will try the betadine, thanks for the tip!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
She doesn't seem concerned with them at all. Even after I've rubbed cream into them she doesn't seem to notice them. They are in a position where they would be difficult to reach though so perhaps she has learned she can't reach them so she just doesn't try. I couldn't imagine they aren't bothering her somewhat. They look painful.
I will try the betadine, thanks for the tip!

well that's good, at least the bumps are not making her uncomfortable. I apply betadine to Finn's bumps and it's just a good overall antiseptic so it may help Ollie. Just make sure you dilute the betadine in some water until it looks like ice tea, and then I just get a clean cloth and dab that solution onto the bumps. Hope that will help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can not get the pictures much bigger so I can not tell if they are hystocytosis -- they tend to like almost like a wart. Since only on her belly/armpits I am leaning toward bug bites or an environmental allergy. Try wiping her with a cool cloth when coming in from outside (belly, paws and face) and give some Benedryl to less any discomfort she may have 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day

please keep us posted

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
View attachment 88205View attachment 88206

Hi all,
A few days ago I noticed some small red sores on my 15 month old bulldog. They are located on the insides of her legs and on her sides just a few inches below her arm pits. The next morning they were much worse. Very red and hard and swollen. No bleeding or oozing as far as I've seen though. I took her right to the vet and he said they could be allergies or bug bites or possibly histiocytosis. He suggested I pick up a hydrocortisone cream and use that on them and if they aren't improving within a few weeks we might consider doing a biopsy.
I did some research on histiocytosis and it looks very scary.
Right now I am hoping it is allergy related. The vet says they are probably not bug bites as they are pretty symmetrical. He also ruled out fleas and ticks.
She has been on Fromm's since I got her about 4 months ago. She was on the beef frittata and there were no problems. I switched her to pork and peas two weeks ago just for some variety for her so I'm wondering if she has an allergy to something in that particular food. I'm going to switch her back to the beef frittata tomorrow and see if they start clearing up.
I also worry that it is seasonal as she spends a lot of time in the backyard during the day and summer is just now really getting going.
Since yesterday morning they haven't worsened but I did find a few new ones starting to form, most right beside the current sores, one new one on her chest where she didn't have any sores before.

I'm attaching some photos of the worst ones. Does anyone recognize this? Is it allergy related? Has anyone experienced histiocytosis before? Is this what it looks like?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! I'm a very worried dog mommy right now!

Have you tried Nu Stock? I've always use that on mine and helps. They was on Beef Fritata too and I switched flavor to Pork and Peas. Seems they sheds more but they love the flavor better than Beef Fritata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have you covered with the Betadine and the Benadryl, even with 1 small flea bite or fly bite a bully can have a break out like that and it is Spring. Only other thing I would try is Vetrycin which is great when it comes to stuff like this. I hope she feels better really soon and they all go away. She is a doll!!

OP
WhitneyBlanche

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I can not get the pictures much bigger so I can not tell if they are hystocytosis -- they tend to like almost like a wart. Since only on her belly/armpits I am leaning toward bug bites or an environmental allergy. Try wiping her with a cool cloth when coming in from outside (belly, paws and face) and give some Benedryl to less any discomfort she may have 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day

please keep us posted

Hi 2Bully Mama,
Ollie's sores were clearing up and I was feeling really good about things but this morning I noticed a couple new ones. They're red with a small red or brown scab in the middle. They don't seem to bother her too much but they do have a metallic/copper smell. I'm hoping they're allergy related. I have noticed that they seem to pop up more after a big play in the grass when she's really rolling around and getting nutty... but that might be a coincidence or wishful thinking on my part.
Does this sound like histiocytosis to you? And can you describe to me the symptoms of hystiocytosis/what it would look like?
There really isn't great information on the internet and I don't want to put her through a biopsy unless we're really sure it's not allergy related.
Thanks for all your help!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The locations you mentioned make me think something's biting her as she laying on the grass (or peeing or pooping) and she's allergic to the bites.

OP
WhitneyBlanche

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
The locations you mentioned make me think something's biting her as she laying on the grass (or peeing or pooping) and she's allergic to the bites.

I'm really hoping that's what this is. She definitely has some bug bites on her little belly and legs. They're just little pink bumps that she scratches at and they go away very quickly... usually within a day or two. These ones are different though. The initial ones have been there for over a week now, but at this point they are just scabs that haven't fully healed yet. Maybe they are spider bites and that's why they're lasting longer and leaving more of a wound?
I'm going to try to keep her to the deck when she's outside and not playing in the grass so much and see if that helps.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
well that's good, at least the bumps are not making her uncomfortable. I apply betadine to Finn's bumps and it's just a good overall antiseptic so it may help Ollie. Just make sure you dilute the betadine in some water until it looks like ice tea, and then I just get a clean cloth and dab that solution onto the bumps. Hope that will help!

+1 on the Betadyne, I use this a LOT with a house full of bulldogs and children. It's what vets use to put all over your dog's surgical area during surgeries.

please keep us posted

Could be a hystiocytoma, the pics would not get big enough for me either! :(

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have you covered with the Betadine and the Benadryl, even with 1 small flea bite or fly bite a bully can have a break out like that and it is Spring. Only other thing I would try is Vetrycin which is great when it comes to stuff like this. I hope she feels better really soon and they all go away. She is a doll!!

+1 on Vetrycin too!

Hi 2Bully Mama,
Ollie's sores were clearing up and I was feeling really good about things but this morning I noticed a couple new ones. They're red with a small red or brown scab in the middle. They don't seem to bother her too much but they do have a metallic/copper smell. I'm hoping they're allergy related. I have noticed that they seem to pop up more after a big play in the grass when she's really rolling around and getting nutty... but that might be a coincidence or wishful thinking on my part.
Does this sound like histiocytosis to you? And can you describe to me the symptoms of hystiocytosis/what it would look like?
There really isn't great information on the internet and I don't want to put her through a biopsy unless we're really sure it's not allergy related.
Thanks for all your help!

No, not a hystiocytoma then, they usually pop up overnight and take months to go away. Can you send me pictures to my email address? [email protected]

I'm thinking the same, gotta be from the grass.

I'm really hoping that's what this is. She definitely has some bug bites on her little belly and legs. They're just little pink bumps that she scratches at and they go away very quickly... usually within a day or two. These ones are different though. The initial ones have been there for over a week now, but at this point they are just scabs that haven't fully healed yet. Maybe they are spider bites and that's why they're lasting longer and leaving more of a wound?
I'm going to try to keep her to the deck when she's outside and not playing in the grass so much and see if that helps.

Great idea! Send me pictures!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
bullmama;603291 No said:
[email protected][/EMAIL]
Great idea! Send me pictures!

Lisa -- let us know if the pics via email give a clear/closer look. But, I am thinking maybe staph infection ?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Lisa -- let us know if the pics via email give a clear/closer look. But, I am thinking maybe staph infection ?
@WhitneyBlanche

Christine - I think you are right. Tyson had a small spout of Staph a couple of years back, and it looked just like this. We had to treat it with some cream the vet gave us. We also had to wash everything in site on the sanitize mode in washer (super HOT HOT). I also purchased off of Amazon an industrial Lysol used in hospitals for the things I couldn't wash that he comes in contact with. After the cream, cleaning, etc. It all cleared up and never came back. However, its important to wash or sterilize everything bc if they come back in contact with it, it will keep spreading.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@WhitneyBlanche

Christine - I think you are right. Tyson had a small spout of Staph a couple of years back, and it looked just like this. We had to treat it with some cream the vet gave us. We also had to wash everything in site on the sanitize mode in washer (super HOT HOT). I also purchased off of Amazon an industrial Lysol used in hospitals for the things I couldn't wash that he comes in contact with. After the cream, cleaning, etc. It all cleared up and never came back. However, its important to wash or sterilize everything bc if they come back in contact with it, it will keep spreading.

Nitschke had gotten this a few times -- we had to go the antibiotic route -- high doses over about 3 wks before it went away

OP
WhitneyBlanche

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Hi all,

I took some more photos of Ollie's sores and I have sent them to Lisa but I'm going to attach them here as well.

IMG_5626.jpgIMG_5623.jpgIMG_5622.jpgIMG_5620.jpg

One is her legs and belly area. This photo was taken last night. You will see some little pink bumps right on her belly. I'm quite sure these are bug bites. They were itchy last night, we gave her some Benadryl before bed and they were gone by this morning. On her legs you will see some scabs. These are the sores that I am concerned about. They are a week and a half old and are clearing up. Two photos are close ups of these sores.

The brighter photo I took this morning. It is a new sore. It was a little red last night but this morning looks much worse. Bright red! It doesn't appear to be bleeding at all but looks terrible.

I'm not sure what the little brown flecks on her legs are. I hadn't noticed them until I took these close up photos. She likes to break into the rose garden so it could very well be dirt from her adventures in the backyard.

Thanks so much for all your help and I hope these photos are clearer than the last ones!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.