LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
image.jpg
We cannot figure out what happened!! This has managed to appear on Loki's neck in what seems like overnight. My husband was playing with him yesterday and we found it after I spotted blood on hubby's leg! Loki is strictly an inside dog and doesn't spend a whole lot of time outside right now due to it being too hot... He has a vet appointment in the morning to have it looked at, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that it isn't some sort of mange :( Does anyone know or have any suggestions as to what could have caused this??

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
View attachment 88183
We cannot figure out what happened!! This has managed to appear on Loki's neck in what seems like overnight. My husband was playing with him yesterday and we found it after I spotted blood on hubby's leg! Loki is strictly an inside dog and doesn't spend a whole lot of time outside right now due to it being too hot... He has a vet appointment in the morning to have it looked at, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that it isn't some sort of mange :( Does anyone know or have any suggestions as to what could have caused this??

Hi, welcome. Wow, poor Loki. Did you apply something to it, like ointment in this picture? Its bleeding? Is he scratching it? I believe it could be a very bad hot spot. @2BullyMama, does this look like what Lambeau had on his head?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It looks to be a hot spot, if so, it needs shaving (by Vet not you) so to get
air on it and treatment, the way it looks, probably antibiotics & steroid shot.
I'd be concerned he could scratch it and really make it worse/ infected so I'd
call back & see if he can come on in or take to another Vet today. If he couldn't
reach it, not as much concerned but he can ;(

Please keep us informed and these, sadly, are common and scary. They can just
appear (insect bite, reaction to something, allergies, etc) & quickly spread & worsen.
Try to stay calm & get into a Vet today. Prayers for your 'lil man.

OP
LazyLoki

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
Surprisingly, he hasn't been scratching it all which is crazy! He's had skin allergies before where some of his hair started falling out right on the back of his neck, but never anything like this.. :(

OP
LazyLoki

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
I forgot to add, it also has a metallic like smell to it...

OP
LazyLoki

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
Hi, welcome. Wow, poor Loki. Did you apply something to it, like ointment in this picture? Its bleeding? Is he scratching it? I believe it could be a very bad hot spot. @2BullyMama, does this look like what Lambeau had on his head?

There has been no sort of ointment applied at all.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Surprisingly, he hasn't been scratching it all which is crazy! He's had skin allergies before where some of his hair started falling out right on the back of his neck, but never anything like this.. :(

It is most likely an hot spot, it needs to be kept clean, so give it a gentle cleaning, they will most like shave the area like Carol mentioned. IF he does start itching you can apply cortisone or neosporin - otherwise nothing, dry. We along with many other use Vetericyn, its amazing for hot spots. I recommend you get some and keep it on hand. Its totally safe if licked, the good thing for him with it being located where it is - he can't reach it to lick it. We buy it off Amazon. Keep us posted on what the vet says. Where in TX are you located?

OP
LazyLoki

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
It is most likely an hot spot, it needs to be kept clean, so give it a gentle cleaning, they will most like shave the area like Carol mentioned. IF he does start itching you can apply cortisone or neosporin. We along with many other use Vetericyn, its amazing for hot spots. I recommend you get some and keep it on hand. Its totally safe if licked, the good thing for him with it being located where it is - he can't reach it to lick it. We buy it off Amazon. Keep us posted on what the vet says. Where in TX are you located?

I will look for that today!! I'm hoping it's nothing serious. We are located in the Tomball/Woodlands area.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I will look for that today!! I'm hoping it's nothing serious. We are located in the Tomball/Woodlands area.

Lovely, I'm in Katy, but work in Houston. We have a few fellow Houstonians here too. We actually all see the same vet too :) Your baby will be fine, I'm sure its nothing serious. But the Vetericyn is awesome to always have on hand :) Keep us posted!

Give it a good cleaning though! Warm water, with a damp soft towel. If you have any medicated shampoo you can use that. If not, just water.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It looks to be a hot spot, if so, it needs shaving (by Vet not you) so to get
air on it and treatment, the way it looks, probably antibiotics & steroid shot.
I'd be concerned he could scratch it and really make it worse/ infected so I'd
call back & see if he can come on in or take to another Vet today. If he couldn't
reach it, not as much concerned but he can ;(

Please keep us informed and these, sadly, are common and scary. They can just
appear (insect bite, reaction to something, allergies, etc) & quickly spread & worsen.
Try to stay calm & get into a Vet today. Prayers for your 'lil man.

Yes, it is a hotspot and as Carol stated.... shave the area and keep it DRY. These are normally due to a weaken immune systems, which can stem from allergies (one way). Instead of a steroid shot, there is a spray to can apply to it that the vet can give you --- no ointments or anything like that --- you need it to dry up -- air is your friend

OP
LazyLoki

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
Thanks so much everyone!! I will definitely keep y'all posted as to what the vet says!

OP
LazyLoki

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
So the metallic smell coming from Loki's spot is getting worse... What causes the smell?:(

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It's probably just the nastyness of the hot spot. They do tend to smell rancid among other things. Most pet shops in Tomball have Vetrycin in Stock but if not I know Natural Pawz @ 290 and Spring Cypress has it and I believe I have seen it at D&D Feed on 2920 as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So the metallic smell coming from Loki's spot is getting worse... What causes the smell?:(

how is it going today? did you get the area shaved ? It will look/get worse before it gets better

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking in on y'all...sending loving hugs & prayers!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.