solid poop that ends soft

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank is on fromms salmon tunalini. has been for about 2-3 months now. his poops always look good. not great but good. they start out at about a 7-8 in firmness on a scale from 1-10. but what comes out at the very end is more runny.

his stool in general seems almost moist with air holes, it's lighter than you'd expect a dense, firm poop to be.

is there something I should be doing differently to get a more ideal poop? is this even something I should be mildly concerned with?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is he and how much do you feed at each meal?

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
he's one year old and we feed approx 1-3/4 to 2 cups a day.

he's about 45-50 lbs. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he's one year old and we feed approx 1-3/4 to 2 cups a day.

he's about 45-50 lbs. @2BullyMama

I would cut back a tiny bit at each meal... may just be too much for him. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] - agreed?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would cut back a tiny bit at each meal... may just be too much for him. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] - agreed?

You could certainly try it, but that amount of food should be perfect. No extra treats or additives, supplements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella's poop is exactly like this, too. Maybe I'll try to cut back, too. Like you, Madie, I feed 2 cups a day, but I add coconut oil, fish oil, and ACV.

LazyLoki

Jun 19, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki
Bella's poop is exactly like this, too. Maybe I'll try to cut back, too. Like you, Madie, I feed 2 cups a day, but I add coconut oil, fish oil, and ACV.

We had Loki on fish oil for a while and it had a tendency to make his poop rather soft and sometimes runny. So we switched his food to Core Wellness Ocean formula and it has helped tremendously! He poop is completely normal now!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We had Loki on fish oil for a while and it had a tendency to make his poop rather soft and sometimes runny. So we switched his food to Core Wellness Ocean formula and it has helped tremendously! He poop is completely normal now!

Good to know. Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be the food isn't a good match too, but yes too much oils can give that runny poo topper. I would try cutting back a bit first, and if that doesn't change anything then try doing a different Fromm like the Beef Frittatta or Pork & Peas, has he tried those yet?

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I also have this issue with Jake. Starts hard then almost at the end it gets soft and sometimes running. I feed him 2 cups a day.
What I have observed is that if I don't give him yogurt or cheese, I get this issue. I just give him a slice of cheese and he is good to go. But then that's my Jake, he loves cheese

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It could be the food isn't a good match too, but yes too much oils can give that runny poo topper. I would try cutting back a bit first, and if that doesn't change anything then try doing a different Fromm like the Beef Frittatta or Pork & Peas, has he tried those yet?

he has not. I am thinking we will switch him to another protein and see how it goes. we cut back on the amount a bit and there's been no change since my original post. his skin is also flaking a bit so I think it's time to try a different fromm!

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
From a "biological" view, this could be somewhat normal. The beginning of the movement, that stool would have been in the GI tract longer, with more fluid being removed. The end of the movement could still contain more fluid. My pup is the same way, has been for a long time. If she has missed a normal poop time, the next one will be like a cork in a champagne bottle.

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Didn't want to start a new thread with similar topic... Poop 1 and 2 on the same walk, solid, great. 9 or 10/10. Then, as he wears down/runs/exerts... he tries to poop more and there isn't much left. Just a few little turdworms (no worms in the turd, hopefully you understand what I mean here), and really soft. Some sites say this is just normal with dogs, as the moisture is what's at the very end.

1.5 cups/2x a day of the Zignature Salmon (grain free etc). treats he gets just little freeze dried liver treats (3 calories each) or he chews on his bento ball.

His poop has been this way on everything, fromm puppy, fromm heartland gold adult, zignature salmon...

Any reason for concern?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Didn't want to start a new thread with similar topic... Poop 1 and 2 on the same walk, solid, great. 9 or 10/10. Then, as he wears down/runs/exerts... he tries to poop more and there isn't much left. Just a few little turdworms (no worms in the turd, hopefully you understand what I mean here), and really soft. Some sites say this is just normal with dogs, as the moisture is what's at the very end.

1.5 cups/2x a day of the Zignature Salmon (grain free etc). treats he gets just little freeze dried liver treats (3 calories each) or he chews on his bento ball.

His poop has been this way on everything, fromm puppy, fromm heartland gold adult, zignature salmon...

Any reason for concern?

I would say no.... he sound normal to me Lambeau is like this at times especially during allergy seasons

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounds pretty normal to me. Both my dogs have fairly soft poops, seems to be harder if it's been a while since their last poop, and softer if I give them some new treat that must upset their stomach a bit.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online