Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
After letting Josie go potty, I noticed she had dozens of round raised areas all over her body. She had no pain or itching. Bumps were not hard.
Next day it appeared to fade, only to return worse. Her breathing became labored and very lethargic. It grew worse by the minutes.
Visited our local vet. Gave her injection of benadryl and two hours later, all better. No hard breathing, no bumps, no nothing. On a 72 benadryl regimen. She is happy and back to her loveable self. Thank you God:pray:
Causes could be many, bees, bugs, grasses, outdoor snacks:no:
I can sleep better now.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank god she is ok! You can add ants to the list as well. Do you have a paved patio area she can potty on? I would hate for her to have another reaction. Oh and whenever your heart rate returns to normal, we need pics of Josie. Lol

OP
C

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
I never thought of ants. Vet said it is very difficult to find the source. Benadryl 25mg works wonders. Should use it again if any flare ups.
Also checked ears. Clean as can be. Even her wet snarfling went away.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I never thought of ants. Vet said it is very difficult to find the source. Benadryl 25mg works wonders. Should use it again if any flare ups.
Also checked ears. Clean as can be. Even her wet snarfling went away.

This has happened to me, and it's very scary… always keep benadryl on hand. Sometimes they can never tell what causes it…

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Christian, how scary, I'm so glad you took her to the vet, and she got some Benadryl. These guys are so sensitive and prone to allergies, and unfortunately we don't always know what causes the allergy. It can be anything environmental or food, or bug bites. Dozed got hives for 3 days two summers ago, and I never figured out what caused it, but he didn't have any trouble with his breathing. Benadryl helped and they cleared up. He's never had them again. I hope Josie is okay. It's always a good idea to have a little first aid kit with Benadryl, polysporin, gauze, witch hazel, tape, and such for the dogs, we keep one at home and one in the car.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy to hear that the "bumps" are subsiding. My dog , Martha loves to chase bugs. Last summer she chased a red wasp, and he stung her on the face. She became covered
all over with hives and her face and mouth swelled I had some prednisone on hand and gave her one, and two benedryl. It took several hours before it took effect. She did not have breathing problems I am sure because I immediately gave the pred. and benedryl. I always keep prednisone on hand, as I know she is bound to get stung again!
Since your dog had such a reaction, you might consider having some prednisone in the home, in case it happens again.
@Christian1971

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Glad to hear Josie is doing well. Jewel had a similar reaction and it turned out to be a flea and tick lawn product I used and watered into the ground. despite waiting 48 hours and a good dose of rain, Jewel had a reaction. Benadryl calmed the reaction down.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Benadryl is s staple for bulldogs. Have it on hand all times, I've had to use it twice, wasp bite, and fire ants - with Tyson. Also, just a tip, if he gets bit by fire ants or something that's really bothering them, baking soda & water mix, make a paste, that will alleviate the itching/burning almost instantly. It will be messy, bc when it dries it gets crusty, but just keep a towel nearby :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So glad that she is doing better! Allergic reactions are scary. Once Frank was stung by a bee and I am so glad we noticed early and gave him benedryl because even with it, his face swelled up but went away quickly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:faint: I know your fear... Happen twice with Banks, her eyes closed and face was twice the normal size.... Never found out what caused it those two times.

so glad she is ok and you got her to the vet quickly

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so Glad that Josie is ok, my goodness I know you were so scared. I always keep Benadryl on hand for Elmo.

OP
C

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
I need to make a correction. Josie also had gotten a shot of steroids. My wife was in the room when Josie met with the vet. Curious to read what folks pay. Not that its any of my business, but wondering what folks pay around the country. Steroid shot, Benadryl, nails trimmed, routine check up, one month flea and tick med= $122.08

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.