URGENT!!! REALLY BAD SKIN ALLERGIES - WHAT CAN IT BE?!

rramos

May 11, 2015
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Rocky, My almost 2 year old male white English Bulldog started developing bald spots first on his front paws then on both of his sides since last November and it keeps getting worse. I have taken him to his vet and she has done all testing possible and ALL tests have come back negative. She came to the conclusion its probably food allergies. Since she told me this I have bought him many different types of foods and nothing seems to help. (List of foods: Fromm/ Salmon and Turkey, Natures Logic/Salmon and now Natures Variety/Duck for the last 3 weeks. He hates the Duck flavor and refuses to eat it, and this is weird considering he can eat his entire bowl in seconds. I have read many articles that have recommended to stay away from the prescribed Royal Canin that the vet says to buy so I have not tried and have stayed away from doing that. I just dont know what to do anymore. I want my poor dog to be normal and not suffer anymore, its been too long. Does anyone know what I should do? What other food works? image3.JPGimage2.JPGimage1.JPG

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Rocky, My almost 2 year old male white English Bulldog started developing bald spots first on his front paws then on both of his sides since last November and it keeps getting worse. I have taken him to his vet and she has done all testing possible and ALL tests have come back negative. She came to the conclusion its probably food allergies. Since she told me this I have bought him many different types of foods and nothing seems to help. (List of foods: Fromm/ Salmon and Turkey, Natures Logic/Salmon and now Natures Variety/Duck for the last 3 weeks. He hates the Duck flavor and refuses to eat it, and this is weird considering he can eat his entire bowl in seconds. I have read many articles that have recommended to stay away from the prescribed Royal Canin that the vet says to buy so I have not tried and have stayed away from doing that. I just dont know what to do anymore. I want my poor dog to be normal and not suffer anymore, its been too long. Does anyone know what I should do? What other food works?View attachment 88105View attachment 88104View attachment 88103

Welcome to you & Rocky :)

Let me tell you, I feel your frustration, and I think we've all been there with food & allergies. What I recommend is to find a "Limited Ingredient" kibble. One that has just a single protein. No grain, no eggs, no dairy, no chicken, no beef, no fish. Nature's Variety carries a LID line, I would go with a protein he has not had yet. So maybe turkey? Duck is very rich. Gradually introduce the new kibble - its very important to transition him so it doesn't affect his belly. Also, if he has a bad flare up, you can do benadryl to give him some relief. I would not go to prescription food either, those diets are such low quality foods. I would try this first. You also need to become very very attentive to labels of anything you are giving him. When you transition him to the new kibble, everything else needs to go. No more treats, no table scraps, nothing. You need to take it down to the very basics (elimination of things) in order to see what is triggering his allergies. Once he's doing well on a food, then you slowly one by one can introduce new things. So for treats, make sure you read the labels to see what ingredients are in them.

Another thing you can do is get him on a good supplement, we personally along with many members here do Nuvet. It will take a while, so please be patient, you need to allow him a good solid month at least on the new food in order to see if its helping. He has to get rid of everything else he currently has in his system now. Also for relief if he's itchy - we do oatmeal baths :) I really hope he can get some relief soon, poor baby. My Tyson had tummy issues along with bad allergies, and in the very end the limited ingredient kibble did best for him - but because of his belly issues, we did have to go to RAW.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Here's the link to the NV - so you can read and research.
Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Turkey | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats

OP
rramos

rramos

May 11, 2015
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks so much for the fast response. He is currently on Natures Variety limited ingredient duck formula which he hates. Its been 3 weeks and his paws are worse. Is this enough time to determine that the food is not working and I should try the Turkey instead or should I wait longer.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Does your baby get any treats? Most that Ive found give my Henry a rash, nothing like your though. I only give frozen fruit and veggies now.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks so much for the fast response. He is currently on Natures Variety limited ingredient duck formula which he hates. Its been 3 weeks and his paws are worse. Is this enough time to determine that the food is not working and I should try the Turkey instead or should I wait longer.

Good that's he's already on the LID!! I would try the Turkey since you said he doesn't care for the Duck. 3 weeks is not enough time, but since he hates the Duck, and he's already on the line, go ahead and switch him over. Once he's on the Turkey - give him at least a month (min) -- to see how he responds. If its environmental allergies vs. food then its just about managing it :( What food has he done the best on so far?

OP
rramos

rramos

May 11, 2015
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
No - no treats since I am trying to figure out whats he is allergic 2.

OP
rramos

rramos

May 11, 2015
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
OK I will definitely switch him to Turkey...hmmm this is tough All foods have been the same there's not one that has made him better but if I had to choose it would be Fromm. I am pretty sure its a bit of environmental as well but I do not know to what or how to fix. :(

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
OK I will definitely switch him to Turkey...hmmm this is tough All foods have been the same there's not one that has made him better but if I had to choose it would be Fromm. I am pretty sure its a bit of environmental as well but I do not know to what or how to fix. :(

If its environmental, you won't be able to fix, just manage really. Check to see if your vet has or can get the drug, Apoquel. I know that @nycbullymama has her boys on it, and they have done great on it! You are doing the very best for him, kudos to you for that. You will find the right combo, we're all here - I'm praying that Rocky finds some relief soon!!

OP
rramos

rramos

May 11, 2015
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
OK how do I determine if its environmental? I also forgot to mention his tear stains are getting worse. They stink and get yellow and I wipe them down 2-3 times a day with a dry cloth. (he is stinky overall because of the yeast :( and sheds a ton) Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
OK how do I determine if its environmental? I also forgot to mention his tear stains are getting worse. They stink and get yellow and I wipe them down 2-3 times a day with a dry cloth. (he is stinky overall because of the yeast :( and sheds a ton) Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!!

Well, sadly there really isn't a way. You can do allergy testing for foods, etc.... Have you ever given him benadryl? I would try to give him a small dose and see how he does. 1/2 - 1 mg per lb. If you can get your hands on Apoquel from the vet, it will help environmental. Since he's yeasty, etc. Make sure you are bathing him well, also every time you come inside from a walk, wipe him down. Wipe his belly, paws, legs. I do this every time we come in, to remove the allergens he may have gotten on him when walking. We use malacetic wipes on his paws - since it has a antimicrobial. What state do you live in? If you can get your hands on some local honey, must be local, and must be raw. The type you find at a farmers market, etc. - that could also help with the environmental - teaspoon a day.
Malacetic_Wipes_100ct.jpg

OP
rramos

rramos

May 11, 2015
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I haven't had the Allergy test done because its expensive and people say it really does not help. I have never given him Benadryl but will buy some over the counter asap. I give him a bath every 2 weeks is this enough? I am seeing my vet tonight so will definitely talk to her about Apoquel. BTW I ordered the Turkey - Thanks! Can I use Malacetic for his wrinkles as well? I also mix in his food Cocunut Oil sometimes when he dosent want to eat it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I haven't had the Allergy test done because its expensive and people say it really does not help. I have never given him Benadryl but will buy some over the counter asap. I give him a bath every 2 weeks is this enough? I am seeing my vet tonight so will definitely talk to her about Apoquel. BTW I ordered the Turkey - Thanks! Can I use Malacetic for his wrinkles as well? I also mix in his food Cocunut Oil sometimes when he dosent want to eat it.

Yeah, the testing to me isn't worth it. But to each their own. Yeah, every 2 weeks is fine for bathing until you have it under control, then you shouldn't need it that often. Yes, you can use those for wrinkles as well, just watch the eyes! CO is good :) We do it one or two times a week. I think he'll like the turkey better than the duck.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice oh my gosh what a great group of people we have here thanks tytysmom

I just wanted to offer support and add that if you have to try the vet prescribed diet, and it wouldn't hurt and sometimes that's just the way to go. I absolutely hate prescribed diets but he and some dogs it is the only relief they can get to have a Hydrogenilized protein.

But a better option is to try the dehydrated food that has no proteins in it, I cannot think of the name right now I need more coffee, help [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Excellent advice oh my gosh what a great group of people we have here thanks tytysmom

I just wanted to offer support and add that if you have to try the vet prescribed diet, and it wouldn't hurt and sometimes that's just the way to go. I absolutely hate prescribed diets but he and some dogs it is the only relief they can get to have a Hydrogenilized protein.

But a better option is to try the dehydrated food that has no proteins in it, I cannot think of the name right now I need more coffee, help @Marine91

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's The Honest Kitchen :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.