betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
My little Effie is scheduled for her spay next Friday. She will be 5 months and 2 weeks old. My vet thinks it would be better to do it a little early, rather than too late- and experience a heat cycle. I have a little bit of concern, only because she seems so young. But, from everything I've read- it's still an appropriate age to do it, and pediatric surgeries are always safer.
I have to say though I AM SO NERVOUS. My vet told me that Effie will be on monitoring equipment the whole time. But still...it's a week away and I'm already panicking. Right now Effie is dealing with a slight case of puppy vaginitis. After every pee, she gets a tiny droplet of cloudy white/very pale yellow discharge. My vet said that this is very normal in puppies her age, and that really the only treatment for it is spaying. For now, we were told just to keep it clean with unscented baby wipes, or a warm washcloth. I have read online that some people believe if the puppy has vaginitis that we should wait until after her 1st heat cycle before spaying? Has anyone else heard this? My vet feels we should go ahead and have the surgery next week.
My other question is in relation to paid meds. My doctor said the fee I am paying for the spay will cover the pain injection directly after the surgery. But she may also prescribe additional take home pain meds. Several of my friends and coworkers said that they were never given any take home pain meds- and would be wary of using them. Is she going to be in such pain that it would be necessary?? Again, I've read online that the injection should last about 36 hours, and most dogs don't need anything beyond that. I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinion on that. Would it be wise for us to get a take home pain script for her?

Sorry for the length...nervous nellie over here, haha. :nervous:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@betterxthanxnew One of mine had the discharge,at about 4 months. My vet also said that it was normal and nothing to worry about. It did clear up by itself-just wiping. Neither one of my purebreds were spayed until one year old. No particular reason-and they hadn't gone into heat yet. The other 2 were spayed at about 7 mo.
I don't think they were given a pain shot,after spay-but honestly,I didn't ask. Over the years,I've had many female dogs,had almost all of them spayed,and they never had pain meds. to go home with. When they came home, they didn't act any different than they did before surgery, because they usually spent the night at the vets. My main concern would be for you to ask what kind of
anesthesia he will be using. That is the most important thing with a bulldog.

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well that definitely makes me feel better! I wasn't sure if the pain meds were really necessary, and I didn't really like the idea of using it. I'll ask the vet what kind of anesthesia they're going to be using. Is there a particular kind that is safer for her??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well that definitely makes me feel better! I wasn't sure if the pain meds were really necessary, and I didn't really like the idea of using it. I'll ask the vet what kind of anesthesia they're going to be using. Is there a particular kind that is safer for her??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]. knows the one you want to use

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
[MENTION=14079]betterxthanxnew[/MENTION], I have had all 4 of my bullies spayed, Winnie being the most recent. I think she was a little over 6 months and had not come into heat yet. I was told by my vet and have read elsewhere that doing it before the first heat greatly decreases the chances of mammary tumors later. Two of my bullies were spayed after their first heat. Vets used to say better to let them have one, but that was a long time ago, and I think that view is outdated now. All of my little girls had vaginitis as puppies and that is very common. I wouldn't think the vaginitis would make any difference in when you spay her.

I don't believe any of mine came home with pain meds, and other than being groggy from the anesthesia, they seemed to feel pretty good. I have had vets tell me that they like to use pain medication sparingly in dogs. That is because pain is a warning to slow down or be still--whatever. So it's best not to take that warning away when they are healing. Does that make sense? Like, a little pain may keep them less active, which is good right after surgery. It wouldn't hurt to have the pain meds on hand though, just in case. I'm not sure if mine ever got pain shots after surgery--they may have, like Lynn, I probably didn't ask. I always bring my dogs home the first night, because my vets have not been 24 hour vets, and I feel like I can watch them better at home.

The only thing I know about Winnie's anesthesia is that it was one that can be reversed at any time. I know other members know more than me about that. I'm sure Effie will do just fine. Probably the only problem you will have is trying to limit her activity for a bit! Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]. knows the one you want to use

I prefer only gas to be used (isoflouraine or sedaflouraine), they wake up very quickly and are back to themselves the same day.

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We have to take her in for her pre-surgery blood work today, so I am going to find out what anesthesia they intend to use. Her surgery is scheduled for Friday. I am beyond nervous!
I think I will skip the pain medication. I really don't like the idea of it. Also, like [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] mentioned, it may help keep her from being so active while she heals. Unless my vet really truly can explain to me why it's necessary- I don't really think it is.
I just want it to be over with already! :nervous:

Most Reactions