Vomiting after drinking water and a couple time during the middle of the night

Wigglesworth

Feb 14, 2011
Putnam County, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Woody
My bulldog Woody (8 years) has started to vomit after drinking water. It started about a month ago. He used to be able to drink as much as he wanted without regurgitation.

I limit his water now, but even after a little bit he'll make this sharp sound, like he's clearing his throat, and throw up water. sometimes it's a lot and sometimes just a couple spatters. 2 times he's thrown up food in the middle of the night.

Haven't changed his food (Fromm grain free) recently or anything. He's always supervised, so he didn't get into anything. Brought him to the vet and his blood and everything look good. The vet prescribed Prilosec, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

His energy and spirits are great

Anybody have a similar situation?

Cheers,
Pete

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there! Even though there may not be the thought of obstruction, I would ask for an x-ray or ultrasound... something is going on and it could be in her throat not her belly that is causing the issue. Especially since there is no change to diet and the Prilosec is not working

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My bulldog Woody (8 years) has started to vomit after drinking water. It started about a month ago. He used to be able to drink as much as he wanted without regurgitation.

I limit his water now, but even after a little bit he'll make this sharp sound, like he's clearing his throat, and throw up water. sometimes it's a lot and sometimes just a couple spatters. 2 times he's thrown up food in the middle of the night.

Haven't changed his food (Fromm grain free) recently or anything. He's always supervised, so he didn't get into anything. Brought him to the vet and his blood and everything look good. The vet prescribed Prilosec, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Anybody have a similar situation?

Cheers,
Pete

Hmm, that's interesting. Try raising his water bowl to see if that helps or perhaps he's drinking too much, too fast?

You mentioned the vet did bloodwork - what extent did that blood work cover? Did they check his thyroid & liver? I would ask for something a little more extensive...

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
This would happen to Goob when he was a puppy. He would drink too fast and gag and sometimes vomit. We put a bottle like this in his crate and he drank from one until he was about 3 years old when we switched to a bowl. Its great because they have access to water all day long and he wont be drinking too quickly if that's the problem. If he doesn't get the hang of it right away, you can put peanut butter or something on your finger to get his licking started them move your finger towards the spout so he knows water is in there. I would tell Goob, "get some water" then jingle the little ball in the spout. Soon enough, he knew what "go get water" meant and he ran to his little bottle in his crate. You can find them at petco or online. Search lixit bottles for dogs and a lot of options will come up.
800443988602C.jpg

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I did the same for my girl who use to upchuck water from drinking it so fast, she would belch and up came the water. I bought a glass water bottle and it is awesome. I showed all my puppies how to drink from it as well. When visiting my son she has a cage at his home and she also has a water bottle at his house also. She has a water bowl she drinks from but while in her cage she has a water bottle in it just in case she gets thirsty as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.