I need help re: food/allergies/overall health

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Hi friends,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here....and each time it's with problems!

Quick back story - Penny had recurrent UTI's since last Jan (2014). We switched vets last May. She's been on antibiotic after antibiotic. Our vet tried some supplements (DL Methionine) to not mess with her food (Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast). The supplements didn't help. Long story short after the last round of antibiotics in Jan her follow up urine analysis showed trace blood in her urine & persistent struvite crystals. This was after x-rays & a bladder ultrasound. The vet recommended prescription food (Hills Science Diet Urinary c/d). Against my better judgement, but at my wits end with the UTI's we did a trial of the Hills in Feb. She's been on it since with NO UTI's which is amazing.

Fast forward to now. We made it through Spring on benadryl with no major allergy issues...she's not been great, but ok. We usually end up with a breakout of hives. The last few weeks, she is not feeling good. VERY itchy. Lethargic. She has a spot on her neck that the vet doesn't know what it is. We went back today to have it rechecked bc the cream he gave us didn't work to clear it up & her allergies are really flared. He did a scraping on her neck for demodex which was clear. Her head/face is inflamed, especially one eye. Her folds are red and irritated, she is shedding a ton. We have been doing everything preventative we know to do....wiping & drying her folds, benadryl, etc. etc. etc. He have her a steroid shot & oral prednisone for the next ten days, a shampoo, and omega three supplements. HOWEVER, he doesn't want us to switch her food from the Hills bc it's maintaining the UTI issue.

I have done a lot of research & I don't know what to do with her! Tomorrow I am calling another vet who is known to be more "holistic" to see if we can get in for a consultation with her. My husband & I both agree that we need to do something with her food, but don't know what.

I have looked into Honest Kitchen based on some recommendations here. They recommended Keen (I believe) for dogs w urinary issues, but not necessarily for skin issues. BUT, I am wondering if the overall improvement in quality of food wouldn't help her skin indirectly while hopefully maintaining her urinary status. Keen is not grain free and turkey based...I Know many bullies don't do well w poultry. They also have a grain free beef & fish, but the lady I spoke with specifically said Keen for dogs w urinary issues.

Also, I am looking at supplements for her. Seems like NuVet is the way to go? Does anyone do NuVet AND a probiotic both?

I am SO overwhelmed! I'm 35 weeks pregnant & NEED to have her on a new plan in the next few weeks before this baby comes, plus I feel incredibly bad for her. I don't know where to start. I was thinking maybe getting her on the supplements first & then trying the food switch? I don't know. SOS!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, welcome back. I know how frustrating this can be and wow 35 weeks, you are almost there!!! Congrats :)

So honesty, I do believe the food may be causing all these issues. While the UTIs are gone, that food is very low quality. I would highly recommend going raw. The honest kitchen is great, we do the frozen patties from Stella & Chewys. I know that a member here whom I will tag was having the same issues & the raw cleared everything up for her Barkley! Also tagging another moderator who also does raw & had issues with one of her boys!

As far as supplements. Yes, we do both the Nuvet & probiotic with each meal. We currently have tyson this probiotic:
16a7f1f79ec0bda1555ac2849f9ba4f6.jpg

And honestly I love it! Of course any probiotic is great as opposed to none, and that will also help tremendously with his UTI issues. Wishing you the best of luck, I'm sure others will chime in as well with great suggestions. To keep him comfy for now as your transition - have you tried benedryl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can understand your frustration. Raw is definitely good for dogs with any kind of stones, especially struvites. It hasn't got too much carbs and is packed with good protein that lowers urine pH. It also has a lot of water that is the key factor in preventing stones. A lot of dogs don't drink enough. I checked out Honest kitchen and I think Turkey Embark would be even better with no grains. It also has cranberry which is good for urinary health. You can even add more water than suggested. Probiotics are always great for over all health. Usually I recommend chancing one thing at the time so you know what is helping and what is not, but it does sound like Penny could benefit if you chance her food and start with the probiotics at once.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Go with the Honest Kitchen and see if it clears up her skin issues too.... even though most do not do well with poultry, it does not necessarily mean Penny will have an issue... a lot of the issues with poultry is due to how it is processed.

I would go with switching food before adding all these supplements to all the meds she is already on too.

Keep us posted... try not to stress, you need to take care of you and baby! BEST of luck with everything

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
As already mentioned probiotics are key! Most of the immune system is in the gut and repeated antibiotic use kills all of the good bacteria so you need to replace it. I read an article about a study done at Harvard about the long term effects of antibiotic use. Supposedly once you kill off the bacteria there is no way of getting it back. You can supplement but it forever changes the bacteria balance in the gut! Kind of scary to think antibiotics can cause a permanent change. The study was done on adults and children and basically they had compromised immune systems due to early or heavy antibiotic use. I know antibiotics are needed in order to fight some infections but do what you can to help build up the gut so hopefully the immune system will work better and therefore reduce your need for antibiotics.

Fo r probiotics I use fermented raw goats milk by answers Answers Raw Pet Food Company: ADDITIONAL - Raw Goat's Milk but I don't know if that would be a good choice for a dog with urinary issues so you'll need to research that. Here is an article that talks about the benefits of fermented foods and getting that good bacteria into the gut.
Fermented Foods For Dogs?

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks everyone for all of your support & help! I almost cried reading your responses. I feel like I have some confidence in my decision to switch her food now. However, I'll feel terrible if she ends up w another UTI & we have to go back to the vet w our tails between our legs.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The gang has you covered, and I just wanted to offer support. I'm so sorry you are dealing w/this and being 9 mos pregnant… NOT fun!!! I hope that Penny feels better soon ;)

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We are in w the new vet on Friday. I'm excited to see what she says. One of my husband's employees goes there & said one of the first things she will ask is "What kind of food is she on?" So, I'm hopeful she will be supportive of us transitioning her & willing to work w us to find the right food if the UTI's crop back up.

She said she carries Nutrisca food in the office & it's a dehydrated food. I did a little digging around & I see freeze dried treats, but it doesn't look dehydrated to me unless I'm missing something. It's a 5 Star rated food on the one dog food rating site (can't remember now which one!). Does anyone know anything about this? I'm planning to take print outs of honest kitchen to be able to compare it. I just want to be prepared. @2BullyMama @RiiSi @TyTysmom @ddnene

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are in w the new vet on Friday. I'm excited to see what she says. One of my husband's employees goes there & said one of the first things she will ask is "What kind of food is she on?" So, I'm hopeful she will be supportive of us transitioning her & willing to work w us to find the right food if the UTI's crop back up.

She said she carries Nutrisca food in the office & it's a dehydrated food. I did a little digging around & I see freeze dried treats, but it doesn't look dehydrated to me unless I'm missing something. It's a 5 Star rated food on the one dog food rating site (can't remember now which one!). Does anyone know anything about this? I'm planning to take print outs of honest kitchen to be able to compare it. I just want to be prepared. @2BullyMama @RiiSi @TyTysmom @ddnene

I heard of it but do not know much about it or anyone that uses it! I know two members here that use The Honest Kitchen and a couple other people-- all with great results ! I have used THK a few times too and my guys love it

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey you!!! So glad to hear from you and little Penny Lue! We miss you!!!! :blowkiss:

I will PM you and I will personally send an email to my nuvet representative and ask her if there is any problems with Nuvet and UTI or if it helps.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Hi, welcome back. I know how frustrating this can be and wow 35 weeks, you are almost there!!! Congrats :)

So honesty, I do believe the food may be causing all these issues. While the UTIs are gone, that food is very low quality. I would highly recommend going raw. The honest kitchen is great, we do the frozen patties from Stella & Chewys. I know that a member here whom I will tag was having the same issues & the raw cleared everything up for her Barkley! Also tagging another moderator who also does raw & had issues with one of her boys!

As far as supplements. Yes, we do both the Nuvet & probiotic with each meal. We currently have tyson this probiotic:
16a7f1f79ec0bda1555ac2849f9ba4f6.jpg

And honestly I love it! Of course any probiotic is great as opposed to none, and that will also help tremendously with his UTI issues. Wishing you the best of luck, I'm sure others will chime in as well with great suggestions. To keep him comfy for now as your transition - have you tried benedryl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

& some of this is on its way! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wanted to add this link for anyone looking into Nuvet, make sure you use order code 1101106 when ordering! This is testimonials from hundreds of pet owners for many different things. NuVet Plus from NuVet Labs | Reviews Testimonials

Recently I have found out that Nuvet also helps with Tumors, prevention as well as reduction!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online