New bully mommy has cherry eye question

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Hi All,
Sorry if this a bad forum to post this in, but I am new and just guessed.
My name is Catherine and my husband, daughter and I welcomed our very very handsome boy (10 weeks old), Otis, into our family over the past weekend. After one day, he developed a cherry eye. The breeder warned us that this may happen and told us to call them and they'd bring him into their vet to have it taken care of. They appear to be super knowledgeable people who have been doing this awhile so we went ahead and had them bring Otis to their vet for surgery yesterday. He came home later that day looking much better and very sleepy. We received eye ointment to put in his eyes 3x per day for 3 or 4 days. This morning his eye still looks a little swollen to me. There is still a pocket there although it is much much smaller than it was. I contacted the breeder to see if this was normal. She essentially said, just keep giving him the eye meds and we will see how it looks tomorrow. I just want to do right by my guy. I've only ever had boxers before and they have never had issues with cherry eye so this is completely new to me. Does all this sound normal? Should I expect him to have a swollen pocket for a bit? Any advice/experience is very appreciated. Or if you can direct me where to post this, I'd appreciate that to. I am excited to have found this site and to find guidance through y'all!!

Thanks in advance,
Catherine

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi All,
Sorry if this a bad forum to post this in, but I am new and just guessed.
My name is Catherine and my husband, daughter and I welcomed our very very handsome boy (10 weeks old), Otis, into our family over the past weekend. After one day, he developed a cherry eye. The breeder warned us that this may happen and told us to call them and they'd bring him into their vet to have it taken care of. They appear to be super knowledgeable people who have been doing this awhile so we went ahead and had them bring Otis to their vet for surgery yesterday. He came home later that day looking much better and very sleepy. We received eye ointment to put in his eyes 3x per day for 3 or 4 days. This morning his eye still looks a little swollen to me. There is still a pocket there although it is much much smaller than it was. I contacted the breeder to see if this was normal. She essentially said, just keep giving him the eye meds and we will see how it looks tomorrow. I just want to do right by my guy. I've only ever had boxers before and they have never had issues with cherry eye so this is completely new to me. Does all this sound normal? Should I expect him to have a swollen pocket for a bit? Any advice/experience is very appreciated. Or if you can direct me where to post this, I'd appreciate that to. I am excited to have found this site and to find guidance through y'all!!

Thanks in advance,
Catherine

Hi Catherine - WELCOME to EBN first & foremost :) I moved your thread just so you get more exposure & answers to your specific questions - we have plenty of members who have gone through cherry eye surgeries that I know will chime in.

I agree with giving it a few days, make sure to apply the ointment/meds, and let his eyes heal up. Just like us humans, they swell, and need a few days to fully recover. Just watch it day by day, and I would say within a week it should start looking better. We'd love to see pics of your handsome Otis too :)

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Cherry eye is no big deal however if it keeps popping out you have a few decisions to make.
Diesel first got cherry eye after 20 weeks (ish) I would massage it in and it would pop right back out.
He needed an operation. You have 2 options
1- cut out the cherry eye completely and there's a possibility you baby will get dry eye as it gets older. So drops 2 x a day
For life
2- the vet cuts a small pocket and tucks the cherry eye in keeping the tear gland. This is the option I chose, there wasn't much price difference and I felt for me at that time I made a good decision.
the other eye developed cherry eye when really really hot but when I massaged it in it stayed in for months, so I opted to live with it when it popped it massage it in.

Vets normally give it time and meds to see if it goes back in

so a few options, it's picking the correct one that works for you.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Catherine, I've had two bullies in the past with cherry eye. We elected not to do surgery on one and we did have surgery on the other one when she was a very young puppy. In Annie's surgery, the doctor enlarged the pocket, tucked the gland back in and stitched it so that it would stay. She also did the unaffected eye at the same time, so that the cherry eye wouldn't happen in that eye. I think the advice is good from your breeder to keep giving the meds and watch it carefully. By the way, it's very responsible of your breeder to fix that for you. It sounds like you found a good breeder! I can't really remember if Annie had swelling or not, but I wouldn't be surprised at a little swelling. I do remember her wearing a cone for a week or two. She healed up well and never had a recurrence of the cherry eye and never got dry eye either.
Congratulations on your new baby Otis!

I've always had boxers too! I love boxers and they do great with Bulldogs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN.... You have received great info from the gang.... Now we need to see your little man :)

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Thanks all! A little support and encouragement is exactly what this Mama was needing. ;)

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
How's Otis doing today?

He's still a little swollen but there is obvious improvement so I'm feeling so much better about the situation. Thanks for checking on us!! He sure is a sweet little cuddle bug. Unless he's in what we call his shark mode he climbs on my lap whenever possible. Love this guy so much already!! image.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's still a little swollen but there is obvious improvement so I'm feeling so much better about the situation. Thanks for checking on us!! He sure is a sweet little cuddle bug. Unless he's in what we call his shark mode he climbs on my lap whenever possible. Love this guy so much already!!View attachment 88038

happy to hear he is improving.... shark puppy teeth!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He's still a little swollen but there is obvious improvement so I'm feeling so much better about the situation. Thanks for checking on us!! He sure is a sweet little cuddle bug. Unless he's in what we call his shark mode he climbs on my lap whenever possible. Love this guy so much already!!View attachment 88038

So happy to hear that he is doing better it will gradually get better as the days go by and he will eventually grow out of the shark face ha ha :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Our girl had cherry eye surgery in both eyes recently and yes there definitely still was redness and what looked like swelling. One eye healed very fast and the other eye took a little longer. It was about 8-10 days before it was completely normal. Our Vet just told us just to watch for a lot of squinting.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Is Otis back to his old self ?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online