My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo went to his Doctor this past Friday for his wellness check-up, he had lost 5lbs. which is wonderful. Checking out the Vet gave us Parastar to kill fleas and ticks. I have never heard of this. Is anyone here familiar with this med. It kills fleas and different kinds of ticks, also controls mites that may cause sarcoptic mange in dogs. I am scared to use Parastar :scared: until I know someone has used it or heard of it for their dogs. Thank You for Your Reply. Love To All. Susan and Elmo

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have not had experience with this type of medicine. Luckily we haven't had any negative reactions to Frontline, so we just stick with that. Hopefully another member has heard of this.

*Just a side note that I moved the thread to the Bulldog Health page, where it should get more views and replies*

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have zero experience w/this… we have used Sentinel, Frontline and Advantage Multi.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Very similar to Frontline, same active ingredient in the same dosage.
I wouldn't use it because Blue had a reaction to Frontline.

Did you ask your vet about side effects?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I have read that it does not kill the eggs, nor prevent re infestation. There have been many complaints to that effect. The drug co. is having their reps push it to the vets.

Novartis introduces ParaStar Plus (May 2012)
ParaStar Plus is a new flea and tick product that combines fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline) with cyphenothrin, which appears comparable to Sentry Fiprogard for dogs (see below). Cyphenothrin has been associated with a number of problems in dogs when used in earlier products, and is toxic to cats. Novartis also makes Sentinel (lufenuron, an insect growth inhibitor, plus milbemycin oxime for heartworms prevention) and CapStar (nytenpyrim), an oral neonicotinoid that kills fleas currently on pets but does not provide any lasting protection.

*If you have cats, you must keep them away from the dog,after application, for AT LEAST 24 hours. It(ParaStar) can kill your cats.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would just stick with what you have always given Elmo, if that has been working fine & he hasn't had any issues. [MENTION=9802]My Otis[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know my vet sells it, but I use Sentinel and Vectra-3D

OP
My Otis

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Thank You all for the information, I am going to stick with Elmo's Frontline or Advantage.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I would just stick with what you have always given Elmo, if that has been working fine & he hasn't had any issues. @My Otis

I agree 100%! When interceptor( only heart worm preventative) went off the market I had to switch so I went with the new drug Trifexsis (heart worm+flea preventative). My dogs did great for 2 yrs but then all the bad press began to surface and I decided to switch to Sentinel. My oldest dog had a seizure within an hr of taking it. Many people recommend Sentinel but one of my dogs had a horrible reaction while the other did not. So...unless you really need to switch things up don't because you never know if your dog will be the exception and have a reaction to it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.