Help Needed! Sick puppy :(

JMarsha

Jun 8, 2015
Connecticut
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
We just bought our bulldog Saturday, he was a typical happy puppy until last night when we noticed yellow mucus and coughing. I took him to the vet today and he was diagnosed with an upper respitory infection. The vet gave me antibiotics and told me to expect him to be lethargic. I have a follow up appointment in 7 days. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with their new puppy? He is only 10 weeks old and I'm having such a hard time watching the poor little guy hack. He didn't even touch his dinner. I know I should probably just let him rest and continue the antibiotics but I'm so nervous! Any words of wisdom for me and little Tank?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Mine had a URI at around 16 to 20 weeks. After getting a breathing treatment and being on meds she was starting to feel normal again. To help break up the crap in his head you can turn the shower on in the bathroom and let the steam help him out as well. At that age I would only do it for a few minutes at a time so he doesn't over heat.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I don't have experience with this but just want to send prayers Tank gets over this quickly

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby, I would just be extra watchful, if he seems to be getting worse head straight back to the vet-- upper respiratory infections can quickly escalate into pneumonia.

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Mine had a uri at 10weeks, we gave steam treatment, & meds - I would keep a close eye on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
another thing that can really help with the steam is some eucalyptus oil, a few drops in some steamy water (or a drop in the bathtub while hot shower is running, will clear out the sinuses of both human and puppy :)

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
can I ask where you got him from? this is (SADLY) very typical with puppies bought from a pet store. best wishes.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am praying that your little baby does well, and has a speedy recovery.

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
I hope he gets well soon! Sick puppies are no fun. I don't have experience with this, but just let him rest and keep up on the doctors orders.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Mine had a URI at around 16 to 20 weeks. After getting a breathing treatment and being on meds she was starting to feel normal again. To help break up the crap in his head you can turn the shower on in the bathroom and let the steam help him out as well. At that age I would only do it for a few minutes at a time so he doesn't over heat.

Great advice. My baby had pneumonia at 9 wks and I would take her into the bathroom, steam it up and pat her on her side. We did that 2-3times per day. You can also use a humidifier if you have one. Keep an eye on your pup and if things seem to drag on or get worse be sure to get back to the vet!

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I bought one many yrs ago and the first 10 hrs she had to be taken in to the vet and she had upper/lower respitory infection an both ears infected. I was a wreck and I went to her vet with the lady for clearance of the puppy so yeah it is something you just want to have a very close eye on. Humidifier helped me tons. I hope your baby gets better.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you're baby is going through this. It's hard to watch and you feel helpless when they don't feel well.
I also don't have any experience with URIs, but it looks like everyone has you covered with great advice. Keep an eye on him, continue his meds, follow up with the the vet, but take him back before the 7 days if he seems worse or is not getting better. The steam showers will help to loosen his mucus, and help with his cough. I hope Tank feels better soon. Please keep us posted. Feel better buddy. Sending love, hugs, prayers and positive thought.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 146

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.