JC HUGO

Jan 24, 2012
Fl
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
HUGO
hello everyone Iam new to this site

I have questions and hopefully you guys can help me. I have a 3 year old bulldog who is extremely spoiled but within the last month he has started barking and growling at night. he barks at me until I get out of bed and he gets really excited but when I go back to bed he continues this behavior of barking and growling. this is going on at 3 or 4 in the morning and its tuff cause I gotta work the next day. he went to the vet today and he is in great condition. is this him being attention seeking because he has never been a barker or growler. in addition sometimes he just barks at the wall. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I was recommend to increase his daily exercise which has been reduced due to the heat in Miami.

thank you

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Could you have a ghost in your house? Seriously, I don't have a clue. We had a bully who would stand and stare and bark at a bookshelf like there was something she wanted up there, but it was never in the middle of the night. Maybe some of the other members can offer some real help.:halloween3: By the way, welcome to EBN!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, and welcome to EBN :)

So where does he sleep? In a crate, on floor? In bed, since you said the vet gave him an all around checkup and all looks good, my best guess would be that he wants your attention. Depending on where he sleeps, maybe putting him closer to you :) Haha. Or he could possibly be hearing things outside.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Hi..I would say he wants your attention.Our two sleep in their crate in the bathroom across the hall from us with the door closed. We have done this since we brought them home as babies so that everyone is comfy and gets rest.

lelandstanford3

Jun 8, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leland Stanford III
My room is in the front of the house, facing the street. Leland barks occasionally if he is awake when cars pass or the refrigerator's ice maker dumps ice into the tray at odd hours, but usually he is knocked out in 5 minutes and sleeps through the night.

Could there be a new pipe, air vent, or some other appliance near the crate that makes odd noises you wouldn't hear from your room?

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Maybe he has to go to the bathroom? Or maybe he just wants your attention? Do you have any other animals roaming around (cats, other dogs, etc)? Effie sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night to bark at our 2 cats if they come into the room, but she eventually settles back down. I could take a million guesses. She could be hot, maybe you rolled onto her and it woke her up?
Effie barks and growls at me first thing in the morning. After I get up and turn off the alarm (around 5:30am) I come back to bed to get her down and she will bark, and back up, and paw at me. I think she really just doesn't want to get out of bed yet. Or maybe she's just trying to play. I haven't figured it out yet, haha. Either way, it's a pain in the tush to get her out of the bed every morning.

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Opie doesn't do it at night to us, but man...during the day he is attention seeking. I'll be working on the computer and he'll sit there and dot his wine growl till I pay attention or he'll go pout in the corner. Haha, I would maybe try moving him to a different room at night or allow him to be closer to you. I don't really know. That's hard that is just beginning at this age.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… this sounds like an attention getter!!! Wally will bark/growl in his sleep sometimes, and it used to drive me insane… I have increased his exercise time, and that has FINALLY stopped. I understand about the heat concerns… I got Wally a ball that we can play with indoors and that helps keeping him occupied in the house. I will post some pics...

images-11.jpeg images-12.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it seems to me he is seeking attention.... try to get him tired out before going to bed. As Tracey suggested, get a toy for indoors and play for about 15-20 mins and he will probably sleep through the night

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.