Need to know if Vectra 3D is safe for my bully

Jmet8

Dec 10, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
FeeBee
We have always used Trifexis for Feebee. When we went to the vet this month to get her treatment we needed something for ticks also. So the lady talked us into getting Iverhart max to prevent worms through the summer months (while ticks would be out) and then Vectra 3D for fleas and ticks. Then we will go back to Trifexis when we do not have to treat for ticks. That would save us about $25 a month. So the next morning we gave Feebee the Iverhart max. We held off on the Vectra 3D. I didn't want to do both of them at the same time. By that night she was lethargic, her nose was running, she was salivating, had dilated pupils, and burping constantly. She was not herself at all. She had an adverse reaction to it and is allergic to the ivermectin that is in it. These symptoms got worse and lasted for about 48 hours. It was terrible. So she cannot have anything with ivermectin in it again. So we will have to go back to Trifexis or Sentinal for her heart worm preventative. Now I am worried about putting the Vectra 3D on her because she was so sensitive to the ivermectin. Has anyone ever had issues with their bully not tolerating it? If so, what problems did they have? Thanks in advance for your input.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never used Vectra 3D, and if I were you, I would never give her Trifexis, because it has killed several peoples bullies before. The only heartworm meds we use is Sentinel. We have never had any issues with it, and give it to all of our pups, and adult bullies and Frenchies. We don't use anything for ticks, as we are in an area where we don't have to worry about them. Sentinel works well for fleas also. Plus you have a beautiful pup. :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
PLEASE do not give your baby Trifexis again… there is a huge lawsuit going on, and many people have lost their babies because of it!!!

I use Sentinel for worms and fleas, I have also used in the past Advantix Multi, Heartgard, and Frontline. I think that Christine [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] has used Vectra 3D before.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, i have used Vectra 3D for years on 4 different bullies never any reaction or issues. I also use Sentinel for worms. I would not hot back to the Trifexis- too many deaths and issues

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We have always used Trifexis for Feebee. When we went to the vet this month to get her treatment we needed something for ticks also. So the lady talked us into getting Iverhart max to prevent worms through the summer months (while ticks would be out) and then Vectra 3D for fleas and ticks. Then we will go back to Trifexis when we do not have to treat for ticks. That would save us about $25 a month. So the next morning we gave Feebee the Iverhart max. We held off on the Vectra 3D. I didn't want to do both of them at the same time. By that night she was lethargic, her nose was running, she was salivating, had dilated pupils, and burping constantly. She was not herself at all. She had an adverse reaction to it and is allergic to the ivermectin that is in it. These symptoms got worse and lasted for about 48 hours. It was terrible. So she cannot have anything with ivermectin in it again. So we will have to go back to Trifexis or Sentinal for her heart worm preventative. Now I am worried about putting the Vectra 3D on her because she was so sensitive to the ivermectin. Has anyone ever had issues with their bully not tolerating it? If so, what problems did they have? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi, I'm so sorry you're baby had a bad reaction to the meds, I hope she's okay. I agree with others regarding the Trifexis, I don't have any experience with this brand, but have heard bad things about it, and know that it has caused many deaths in dogs. I would stay away from it. We use Revolution which covers fleas, ticks, mange, and worms. I have used this brand for the past 3 years, with great results and no reactions. It is used from June to October. We place one drop on the skin in between the shoulder blades once a month, so it's easy to apply, and no pills to swallow.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online