Help Needed! Cannot Figure out Hair loss on my dog. :(

Eric Altman

Jun 4, 2015
Eldon MO
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki
My bullie has a hair loss problem. The skin looks fine but hair is just gone. I have tried all kinds of shampoo's, food, hot spot treatments and just cannot figure it out.

the 1st time it happened I gave essential amino acids before and it worked. Then it came back & I tried to find that same stuff and cannot find it anywhere or now remember what it was. Omega 3's do not work either. :whew::whew::whew::whew:

11391472_569537229853161_76487131242909732_n.jpgWhat could it be?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Could be allergies or mites but it really looks like seasonal alopecia. I don't have any experience with it but other members have that can comment better than I can.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
View attachment 87899

@Eric Altman - I agree with Todd, this definitely look like seasonal flank alopecia. While I haven't personally dealt with it, I know that other members have. Melatonin can be used. Tagging @Manydogs - I know she has had experience with this :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be allergies or mites but it really looks like seasonal alopecia. I don't have any experience with it but other members have that can comment better than I can.

View attachment 87899

@Eric Altman - I agree with Todd, this definitely look like seasonal flank alopecia. While I haven't personally dealt with it, I know that other members have. Melatonin can be used. Tagging @Manydogs - I know she has had experience with this :)

agree.... SFA... melatonin will help

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14302]Eric Altman[/MENTION] It sure looks like SFA! One of my dogs had it two years ago. I gave her melatonin, and hair grew back on one side, but not the other. She still is bald/black skinned on her right. I gave them melatonin all winter this past winter, and her sister still got the black skin on both sides, but did not lose the hair, and now the black is fading, and no loss of hair. I am beginning to think they need melatonin all winter, especially.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, seasonal alopecia, some say melatonin works, but never tried it. BeBe got it once when she was 5 years old and never got it again. Her hair grew back, but came in black.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Yes its seasonal flank alopecia.We are dealing with this with our 2 year old Olde English boy.We have been giving him Melatonin 3 mg at night per our vet.If you give them to much she says they could become hyper.It seems to be bringing back some hair but the black skin remains and he's blondish so it sticks out a lot.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I took Monty to the dermatologist yesterday because I thought he had a yeast infection in his feet and ears and while we were there we discussed his fur not growing back from surgery last October and now his SFA. I already had him on 3mg Melatonin a day on the advice from his bully vet but she suggested putting him on Natures Bounty Melatonin, 2 3mg pills twice a day. He weighs 70 lbs and she said that dose is fine for his weight. She said she had heard that Natures Bounty works better than any other brand and it might be worth a try. I will try it and see what happens. His hair on his bum has come back for the most part but he still has some good size completely bald patches. His new name is 'Baboon butt'!

I cannot believe I have a dog with 3 different vets!!! My other dog Barney just gets to see the regular vet (thank goodness), I hope he doesn't feel deprived!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
The same thing happens to my French bulldog mix - we had skin allergy test done to find out it is various allergies causing the issues (including an allergy to my cats)

I've found that omega 3s worked for hair loss on my bulldogs but they need to be given daily and you won't see results for about a month- month and a half. I see you mentioned that omega 3s didn't work - how long did you try it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula

I would agree seasonal flank, paisley had a small patch exactly the same only smaller, I was advised to change food and add vitamin D.
I did both and it cleared up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.