Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Help with Bordetella!

  1. #1
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    52
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Exclamation Help with Bordetella!

    Hey, everyone.

    Okay -- Bordetalla: Shot or Nasal??

    So we are getting in the last of our first round of shots with the Duchess -- and making sure she has everything needed to board her during our upcoming Fourth of July trip.

    The Kennel, as all do in our area, require Bordetella.

    Our breeder, who we have had a lot of trouble with, had recommended not doing the nasal version. And I have seen some of the same comments on here with respect to the nasal being a cause of pneumonia, etc.

    However, our vet, who owns a Bully so he is knowledgeable, wants to give her the nasal version. His reasoning is that Duchess had severe reactions to injections in the past and he does not want to risk it. He also states that there is no scientific proof that one method over the other is more safe.

    And now we don't know what the hell to do.

    We just have to make the call by Monday. I think we are leaning towards trusting our vet. Anyone have any issues with the nasal? For fun, in addition to Duchess having a reaction to injections, she has also had pneumonia before.

    Any and all advice appreciated!!

  2. #2
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Walter just had his shots, but he was also having surgery so I don't know which one he got?!! I'm going to tag some members on this one...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  3. Likes oldbaystyle liked this post
  4. #3
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    52
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Walter just had his shots, but he was also having surgery so I don't know which one he got?!! I'm going to tag some members on this one...
    Thanks!

  5. #4
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Luke
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    52
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    For more clarity -- her reactions to shots gotten while with the breeder (right before we got her) included: pneumonia, a tennis-ball size swelling at an injection site, and this lovely abscess:
    -duchesshole-jpg:

  6. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,125
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11466

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbaystyle View Post
    For more clarity -- her reactions to shots gotten while with the breeder (right before we got her) included: pneumonia, a tennis-ball size swelling at an injection site, and this lovely abscess:
    -duchesshole-jpg:
    OUCH!!

    My vet has done both with our guys..... we recently had Lambeau and Cheli done and he chose to do the nasal which he di with Banks as well a few times. But, Banks and Nitscke had a lot of allergy issues so depending on how they were doing when we were in for the shot, determined if he went nasal or needle. I 1000% trust my vet.... so if you are comfortable and trust his judgment go with that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. Likes ddnene, oldbaystyle liked this post
  8. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbaystyle View Post
    Hey, everyone.

    Okay -- Bordetalla: Shot or Nasal??

    So we are getting in the last of our first round of shots with the Duchess -- and making sure she has everything needed to board her during our upcoming Fourth of July trip.

    The Kennel, as all do in our area, require Bordetella.

    Our breeder, who we have had a lot of trouble with, had recommended not doing the nasal version. And I have seen some of the same comments on here with respect to the nasal being a cause of pneumonia, etc.

    However, our vet, who owns a Bully so he is knowledgeable, wants to give her the nasal version. His reasoning is that Duchess had severe reactions to injections in the past and he does not want to risk it. He also states that there is no scientific proof that one method over the other is more safe.

    And now we don't know what the hell to do.

    We just have to make the call by Monday. I think we are leaning towards trusting our vet. Anyone have any issues with the nasal? For fun, in addition to Duchess having a reaction to injections, she has also had pneumonia before.

    Any and all advice appreciated!!
    I would go with your vet on this one.

    Just so you know, Bordetella vaccines only protect against a few strains, the most common ones. I stopped giving it after one of mine caught it even after getting the vaccine. That's when I found out it works only some of the time.

    Since you're boarding her, you have no choice. But considering she's already had pneumonia (bacterial pneuomonia, not aspiration pneumonia, right?) I'd be very careful about giving her anything that may cause any type of reaction down the road.


  9. Likes oldbaystyle liked this post
  10. #7
    Drool Catcher Kevikell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)
    121

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    My vet preferred the nasal vaccine and that's what we gave. Maybull had pneumonia at 9 wks old and we waited to give the bordatella until she was 15 woks and she was fine. I too was worried about it causing pneumonia since I've read that it has caused that in bulldogs and since she had already had it but my vet wasn't concerned about it and said the nasal one works better. Since your pup has had reactions in the past I would lean towards the nasal version because the shot has adjuvants added to them to create an immune response. Dogs who react typically react to the adjuvants (kind of scary when you read what's added to these vaccines to make them work!) and by going the nasal route you can avoid those added ingredients.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

  11. Likes oldbaystyle, nycbullymama liked this post
  12. #8
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    I too would go with what your vet recommends since he knows her history the best. I go with injection myself. With the intransal you want to watch out for any respiratory distress and sometimes sneezing and runny nose can occur a few days afterwards.




  13. Likes oldbaystyle liked this post
  14. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)
    722

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    My vet gave the boys nasal I believe


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. Likes oldbaystyle liked this post
  16. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    My vet preferred the nasal vaccine and that's what we gave. Maybull had pneumonia at 9 wks old and we waited to give the bordatella until she was 15 woks and she was fine. I too was worried about it causing pneumonia since I've read that it has caused that in bulldogs and since she had already had it but my vet wasn't concerned about it and said the nasal one works better. Since your pup has had reactions in the past I would lean towards the nasal version because the shot has adjuvants added to them to create an immune response. Dogs who react typically react to the adjuvants (kind of scary when you read what's added to these vaccines to make them work!) and by going the nasal route you can avoid those added ingredients.

    This is actually interesting.

    The nasal vaccine contains a modified live virus, while the shot contains the killed version.

    Research suggests that modified live has a higher probability of inducing the disease you're vaccinating against. Makes sense since you're injecting a live (modified but still live) virus into your system.

    Since the shot contains the killed virus (which is obviously much weaker), you need the adjuvant to boost the response. That's all adjuvants do, they increase the bodies response to the virus.

    So it makes sense that your vet would say the nasal works better, it actually does initially.
    But it also makes sense that the nasal is slightly more dangerous to bulldogs.

    A modified live virus can cause mild symptoms. In other breeds, the mild symptoms aren't an issue - but a runny nose in a bulldog can quickly turn into a more severe respiratory problem, which is why the shot is recommended for brachycephalic breeds by some vets.


  17. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom, oldbaystyle liked this post
  18. #11
    Drool Catcher Kevikell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)
    121

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    This is actually interesting.

    The nasal vaccine contains a modified live virus, while the shot contains the killed version.

    Research suggests that modified live has a higher probability of inducing the disease you're vaccinating against. Makes sense since you're injecting a live (modified but still live) virus into your system.

    Since the shot contains the killed virus (which is obviously much weaker), you need the adjuvant to boost the response. That's all adjuvants do, they increase the bodies response to the virus.

    So it makes sense that your vet would say the nasal works better, it actually does initially.
    But it also makes sense that the nasal is slightly more dangerous to bulldogs.

    A modified live virus can cause mild symptoms. In other breeds, the mild symptoms aren't an issue - but a runny nose in a bulldog can quickly turn into a more severe respiratory problem, which is why the shot is recommended for brachycephalic breeds by some vets.
    My husbands aunt is a bulldog breeder and said she often notices that her pups have a runny nose several days after the nasal vaccine. Thank goodness we didn't have that issue. I don't plan to give it again since we never board or go to shows. From what I understand the vaccine doesn't prevent illness just lessens the severity of symptoms.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

  19. Likes oldbaystyle liked this post
  20. #12
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Help with Bordetella!

    Well, just to put my 2 cents in, my vet says the shot works better than the nasal spray, so my guys got the shot. I had another vet until a couple of years ago, and he always gave the nasal spray. I also would go with whatever your vet thinks best.

  21. Likes oldbaystyle liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •