Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hey, everyone.

Okay -- Bordetalla: Shot or Nasal??

So we are getting in the last of our first round of shots with the Duchess -- and making sure she has everything needed to board her during our upcoming Fourth of July trip.

The Kennel, as all do in our area, require Bordetella.

Our breeder, who we have had a lot of trouble with, had recommended not doing the nasal version. And I have seen some of the same comments on here with respect to the nasal being a cause of pneumonia, etc.

However, our vet, who owns a Bully so he is knowledgeable, wants to give her the nasal version. His reasoning is that Duchess had severe reactions to injections in the past and he does not want to risk it. He also states that there is no scientific proof that one method over the other is more safe.

And now we don't know what the hell to do. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

We just have to make the call by Monday. I think we are leaning towards trusting our vet. Anyone have any issues with the nasal? For fun, in addition to Duchess having a reaction to injections, she has also had pneumonia before.

Any and all advice appreciated!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter just had his shots, but he was also having surgery so I don't know which one he got?!! :blink: I'm going to tag some members on this one...

OP
O

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
For more clarity -- her reactions to shots gotten while with the breeder (right before we got her) included: pneumonia, a tennis-ball size swelling at an injection site, and this lovely abscess:
duchesshole.jpg:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
For more clarity -- her reactions to shots gotten while with the breeder (right before we got her) included: pneumonia, a tennis-ball size swelling at an injection site, and this lovely abscess:
View attachment 87892:

OUCH!!

My vet has done both with our guys..... we recently had Lambeau and Cheli done and he chose to do the nasal which he di with Banks as well a few times. But, Banks and Nitscke had a lot of allergy issues so depending on how they were doing when we were in for the shot, determined if he went nasal or needle. I 1000% trust my vet.... so if you are comfortable and trust his judgment go with that.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hey, everyone.

Okay -- Bordetalla: Shot or Nasal??

So we are getting in the last of our first round of shots with the Duchess -- and making sure she has everything needed to board her during our upcoming Fourth of July trip.

The Kennel, as all do in our area, require Bordetella.

Our breeder, who we have had a lot of trouble with, had recommended not doing the nasal version. And I have seen some of the same comments on here with respect to the nasal being a cause of pneumonia, etc.

However, our vet, who owns a Bully so he is knowledgeable, wants to give her the nasal version. His reasoning is that Duchess had severe reactions to injections in the past and he does not want to risk it. He also states that there is no scientific proof that one method over the other is more safe.

And now we don't know what the hell to do. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

We just have to make the call by Monday. I think we are leaning towards trusting our vet. Anyone have any issues with the nasal? For fun, in addition to Duchess having a reaction to injections, she has also had pneumonia before.

Any and all advice appreciated!!

I would go with your vet on this one.

Just so you know, Bordetella vaccines only protect against a few strains, the most common ones. I stopped giving it after one of mine caught it even after getting the vaccine. That's when I found out it works only some of the time.

Since you're boarding her, you have no choice. But considering she's already had pneumonia (bacterial pneuomonia, not aspiration pneumonia, right?) I'd be very careful about giving her anything that may cause any type of reaction down the road.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
My vet preferred the nasal vaccine and that's what we gave. Maybull had pneumonia at 9 wks old and we waited to give the bordatella until she was 15 woks and she was fine. I too was worried about it causing pneumonia since I've read that it has caused that in bulldogs and since she had already had it but my vet wasn't concerned about it and said the nasal one works better. Since your pup has had reactions in the past I would lean towards the nasal version because the shot has adjuvants added to them to create an immune response. Dogs who react typically react to the adjuvants (kind of scary when you read what's added to these vaccines to make them work!) and by going the nasal route you can avoid those added ingredients.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I too would go with what your vet recommends since he knows her history the best. I go with injection myself. With the intransal you want to watch out for any respiratory distress and sometimes sneezing and runny nose can occur a few days afterwards.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
My vet gave the boys nasal I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My vet preferred the nasal vaccine and that's what we gave. Maybull had pneumonia at 9 wks old and we waited to give the bordatella until she was 15 woks and she was fine. I too was worried about it causing pneumonia since I've read that it has caused that in bulldogs and since she had already had it but my vet wasn't concerned about it and said the nasal one works better. Since your pup has had reactions in the past I would lean towards the nasal version because the shot has adjuvants added to them to create an immune response. Dogs who react typically react to the adjuvants (kind of scary when you read what's added to these vaccines to make them work!) and by going the nasal route you can avoid those added ingredients.

This is actually interesting.

The nasal vaccine contains a modified live virus, while the shot contains the killed version.

Research suggests that modified live has a higher probability of inducing the disease you're vaccinating against. Makes sense since you're injecting a live (modified but still live) virus into your system.

Since the shot contains the killed virus (which is obviously much weaker), you need the adjuvant to boost the response. That's all adjuvants do, they increase the bodies response to the virus.

So it makes sense that your vet would say the nasal works better, it actually does initially.
But it also makes sense that the nasal is slightly more dangerous to bulldogs.

A modified live virus can cause mild symptoms. In other breeds, the mild symptoms aren't an issue - but a runny nose in a bulldog can quickly turn into a more severe respiratory problem, which is why the shot is recommended for brachycephalic breeds by some vets.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
This is actually interesting.

The nasal vaccine contains a modified live virus, while the shot contains the killed version.

Research suggests that modified live has a higher probability of inducing the disease you're vaccinating against. Makes sense since you're injecting a live (modified but still live) virus into your system.

Since the shot contains the killed virus (which is obviously much weaker), you need the adjuvant to boost the response. That's all adjuvants do, they increase the bodies response to the virus.

So it makes sense that your vet would say the nasal works better, it actually does initially.
But it also makes sense that the nasal is slightly more dangerous to bulldogs.

A modified live virus can cause mild symptoms. In other breeds, the mild symptoms aren't an issue - but a runny nose in a bulldog can quickly turn into a more severe respiratory problem, which is why the shot is recommended for brachycephalic breeds by some vets.

My husbands aunt is a bulldog breeder and said she often notices that her pups have a runny nose several days after the nasal vaccine. Thank goodness we didn't have that issue. I don't plan to give it again since we never board or go to shows. From what I understand the vaccine doesn't prevent illness just lessens the severity of symptoms.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well, just to put my 2 cents in, my vet says the shot works better than the nasal spray, so my guys got the shot. I had another vet until a couple of years ago, and he always gave the nasal spray. I also would go with whatever your vet thinks best.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My husbands aunt is a bulldog breeder and said she often notices that her pups have a runny nose several days after the nasal vaccine. Thank goodness we didn't have that issue. I don't plan to give it again since we never board or go to shows. From what I understand the vaccine doesn't prevent illness just lessens the severity of symptoms.

I've heard that before too, but I don't see why it wouldn't?
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] Do you know why your vet thinks so?

I would think both should work the same way in the end - not very well and protecting only against a few strains..lol..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Where are our nurses to shed some light??!! [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION]

the great bordetella debate continues- nasal or shot vaccine?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've heard that before too, but I don't see why it wouldn't?
@Donnam Do you know why your vet thinks so?

I would think both should work the same way in the end - not very well and protecting only against a few strains..lol..

You know, I really don't remember exactly why, but I do remember she talked about some study or another that found that the shot was better. My prior vet was an old guy (my age:eek: ) who retired. The vet who took his place is a much younger gal and at the time I figured she was probably more up to date! Who knows?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.