Sorry, this is vile but I need to ask

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ok....queezy stomachs and faint hearted stop reading, im sorry for asking this but its got me worried. Right, my little boy isnt very well and has diarrhea, me him and Bruce have just been in the garden to get him some fresh air and Oliver was sat on the decking and then Bruce started sniffing round the back of him, unbeknown to him he'd trumped and yes, followed through and Bruce was licking it (sorry again). My parnter said that its dangerous for dogs to do that, is she right? My stomach is doing somersaults with just the thought of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, we prefer that they no eat :poo:, but some just can't resist. We just have to watch them when :poo: Is around... redirect them and pick it up s soon as you can

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My vet told me that dog only smell the food, not what we smell… this explains why the eat their own poop and vomit. Ugh… Lol

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ye im keeping my eye on him, as soon as Oliver said I took Bruce inside, wiped his mouth and gave him a drink. People didnt say you'd be dealing with situations like that when you buy a cute puppy that sits quietly starring at you nicely untill you hand over the money for him lol. Thanks

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
My vet told me that dog only smell the food, not what we smell… this explains why the eat their own poop and vomit. Ugh… Lol

It definitely didnt smell like a ham sandwich haha

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't think it's dangerous provided there's nothing strange in the poop. I mean it's not pleasant..lol.. but not dangerous.

I've read they eat poo when they lack something in their diet. No idea if it's true or not though.

We have one poop eater here, Wilson [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] She can give you some advice.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't think it's dangerous provided there's nothing strange in the poop. I mean it's not pleasant..lol.. but not dangerous.

I've read they eat poo when they lack something in their diet. No idea if it's true or not though.

We have one poop eater here, Wilson @JeannieCO She can give you some advice.

hi I heard the same thing, but don't know if it's true or not. My guys don't eat their poop or other dogs poop, but they do eat rabbit turds that they find in the grass outside, we have lots of bunnies, and they will eat the kitty litter if they could get to it. It's just as gross. My Jack Russell used to love eating goose poop, which is equally disgusting. I don't know why they do it, but I don't think it's dangerous, just incredibly gross. Lol.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poo of another animal is like crack to a dog especially rabbit and cat poo.... they can not resist it. As Tracey stated, they smell the food, not the odor

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh mu gawd, yes, had a Golden who would eat my cat's poop every chance
he could and a dear friend in St Louis who's Weemie eats rabbit poop like
candy, ughhhh

In the case of diarreah and puppies tho, it could be something contagious or
infectious (worms) so be careful. has Vet seen & dxed Brucey?

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Oh mu gawd, yes, had a Golden who would eat my cat's poop every chance
he could and a dear friend in St Louis who's Weemie eats rabbit poop like
candy, ughhhh

In the case of diarreah and puppies tho, it could be something contagious or
infectious (worms) so be careful. has Vet seen & dxed Brucey?

Whats dxed? We wormed Bruce about 4 week ago, is it possible he could still get them?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Oliver is my 3 year old son not another dog incase some of you thought that haha. Bruce seems fine this morning and his pooh is fine

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Ugh - I know this problem too well as my frenchie mix will eat my EB's poop if we don't clean it up right away. There are a few theories behind it: 1. The dogs aren't fully digesting their food 2. They aren't getting something in their diet 3. They are cleaning their cave/area 4. Trying to claim the area by removing other dogs scent.

I'm not sure which it is, but I ruled out 2 and 3 because I have 3 dogs and he only goes after Curlys.

Anyhow there are ways to train them not to eat it but it means being a hawk and watching their every move (which is hard)! So we just make sure we clean up each time they go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions